NO MILK FOR TODDLER

edited December 2012 in Babies Health
yesterday my brother n law told me they dnt give there 19 month old no milk at all only water juice ect they said cause it was causing breathing problems and that every since they stop the milk she dnt get sick. I told him does her Dr. know u stop the milk he said no I'm confused dnt toddlers need milk

Comments

• I though they should get some milk , hmm. But who knows
  • I develop respiratory issues if i drink milk. I used other foods to make up for it as a child though
  • I think if they are allowing yogurt cheese and other dairy products daily it shouldnt be a big deal
  • @doodles agreed!

My opinion is cows milk is for cows! As long as they are making sure the child gets the proper diet it's fine!
  • Cows Milk is not necessary for humans. It has almost no nutritional benefit in our diets. The vitamin d in it does not get digested or absorbed by our bodies. Spinach and dark greens are ten times more beneficial and better sources of calcium than any dairy products. America has the highest percentage of osteoporosis than any other country because of cows milk propaganda and marketing. :) I say kudos to your friend's decision!
  • I'm not pushing milk, but I will throw a few facts out there. Whole milk is considered a complete protein. Meaning that it contains all the amino acids our bodies require for structural repair and muscle maintenance. It is a good source of vit. D and calcium that when ingested together are more synergistically effective than when taken alone. Ounce per ounce it provides adequate nutritional requirements a small child needs, given that their tummies are small. Whole milk packs a protein punch, calories and essential fat needed for brain development.

You can compensate for these nutrients in other foods by modifying their diet, take for example as suggested above about spinach and calcium. The problem is the amount your child has to eat to reach the recommended daily allowance. Eating a large amount of spinach would fill a child and cause them to skimp on other nutrient needs. Thus whole milk is an ideal food, per physicians, in that it provides essential vitamins, minerals and necessary macronutrients.
  • Our Dr said exactly what @captivated said :)
  • Milk can set off asthma attacks my friend has a little boy who can't drink much. As long as there is still dairy in the diet it's fine my pediatrician said my son could just eat 12 oz of dairy a day a skip milk he had terrible acid reflux and was losing weight for it and even at 13 mo still had it and was throwing up milk so we skipped it till it went away still doesn't drink much more yogurt and cheese for him
  • edited December 2012
    Like the vaccination debate, the nutritional benefits of milk are a touchy subject. It all boils down to what research you trust and from what sources. The solid fact is that we can live healthfully without milk and dairy so long as the diet is healthy. :) just have to make a decision that you feel is best for your LO and family.
  • edited December 2012
    Funny you say that, Ash. As a dietitian I've never knew there was a controversy on the benefits of milk. I've only first come upon it here in this group. :)

This is not to start a debate, as I do feel everyone has a right to make an informed decision about their childs nutritional needs. I was just kind of taken aback with your last reference.

@captivated
  • edited December 2012
    Maybe it is just more well known to the "crunchier" mamas then. I began learning about this when I was around twelve years old from my homeopathic doctor my aunt brought me to . @mijita
  • I think you're right. @captivated
  • I've been learning about the dairy debate for about 12 years now. @captivated What's a "crunchier" mama? I can't figure it out! Lol
    @mijita You've got to watch Forks Over Knives. :)
  • I don't consider myself one, but a type of "hippie". All natural, cloth diapering etc. ;)