children under 12 not allowed in hospitals unless receiving care?!?!

2»

Comments

• When I had my son and he was in the NICU they only allowed parents and grandparents in the ward. My daughter (5) nor best friends were not admitted to enter. We had to wear bands to even visit the whole time we were there.
  • @lilbit01_209 its amazing to me how each hospital has Su h different rules. I can understand being super strict in the nicu
  • I know in pa when I had my son in Jan the hospital wouldn't allow any children under 12. So, my daughter couldn't come in. Now my other son was born Mar 31st and the nurse mentioned something about the next day they would lift the ban bc Apr 1 st was the next day and that's when the ban is lifted bc flu season was technically.over Apr 1 st...I don't know how true that is about flu season...but that's what they told me. I can't remember with my daughter bc the only people that came were adults. Now my mom had my brother Mar 8 th and that was 1989 (he is what 23now) and I remember we couldn't see him either bc I wasn't twelve yet...so its something they've been doing around here for years.
  • Tell mama kat i miss her :'( @thehumancrockpot

@kenzie i only read a few comments but i understand where your coming from i really hope everything works out for you. & no problem :)
  • In columbus it is 18 but that is only during the flu problem.
  • I can also understand and if it were me agree. I would not want a bunch of kids that may or may not have the flu running atound l&d with my newborn. If to many people complain and it is a seperate building they may change it. I doubt they will even for you bc then everyone will want to be an exception.
  • @char the charge nurse simply said since its a new policy I'm just the first of many cases they will come across with this problem, if I don't have help I don't have help and they won't make me give birth without my hubby.
  • edited January 2013
    The policy is two support people so they can't take that away from me and after talking to them and knowing my Dr I'm not concerned bc I know now that its not set in stone.
  • edited January 2013
    I know both times I gave birth(both in month of may) kids under 12 were not allowed in L&D
  • Hm....I do understand the points made here, but my hospital has private birthing suites designed for family stay. My 14 month old would be in the room with me and Daddy the whole time, so my thought is that if he would have to be banned for safety, how safe are me and my newborn? I've kept us all quarantined at home the last few weeks of this horrible flu, now I'm scared to walk into a germ ridden hospital! :-(
  • Hi mamakat! Did you make the waterbirth class? :-)
  • @ourlittlenugget mine is the same way and I feel the exact same way.