children under 12 not allowed in hospitals unless receiving care?!?!

edited January 2013 in Pregnant
So yet have issued a nationwide ban on children under 12 at hospitals unless they are receiving care due to the "flu epidemic". I didn't believe it was nationwide, I thought it was prob just a NC thing so I called a hospital in NY and they said they just started it also. This includes the maternity ward which I can not believe. There are just as many germs at wal mart, at the play ground etc and really they should examine the visitors to make sure they are not sick at any age, not just kids. I went to l&d tonight and they wouldnt even let my daughter be in the waiting room so my hubby and daughter had to stand outside until my mom came to pick her up. Now I'm due in 3 weeks or less the only family we have here is my mom, no friends, no baby sitters and now my daughter can't be there when I deliver and I refuse to give birth without my mom and hubby in the room and I will not go 48 hours even 24 without seeing my daughter. I think that's bullshit, that should be my decision as a parent, just like I think certain vaccinations should be up to the parents. I simply don't know what to do, there has to be a loop hole what if I were a single parent with no one to watch my daughter??

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Wow this could really ruin a very important moment in a family. However, I totally understand why they r doing it. :(
  • Now I'm worried. The hospital I chose is supposed to let us keep our 14 month old in the room with us. I won't be separated from either of my babies! :'(
  • That's totally crazy... I'm soo sorry... I mean I can see them doing that for friends but if it's your own child what do u do if your a single parent or your husband is away on trip and you had to do an emergency delivery and have no one. I see where they are coming from but if that's the case they need to have an area where the children can be watched and as soon as your done and if capable of going over u can at last visit your own child... How crazy is this....I had my daughter during the winter last years and my step daughter was allowed to come visit it just couldn't be for long which made things complicated enough but to not allowed them at all is stupid and crazy.
  • I'm going to be the odd one out and say that i think their only looking out for your kids. Hospitals are so much more germy than walmart. I know its very depressing for you and hard but its only best for your daughter. This flu is really really bad. I hope you find a baby sitter try not to stress. Picture how much harder it would be if god forbid your daughter would catch a germ, plus having a new baby. That's no good.
  • @kenzie0713 where were you planning to have your daughter while you give birth? Were you planning on having her in the delivery room as well? Im just asking because you just said you have no one else besides hubby and your mom, and you want them both in the room with you... Or does your hospital have a special area for kids?

Anyway, i would call the hospital director or someone you can talk to about having your daughter in the waiting room or something the day you give birth. That way, your mom can be there with her and you can see her once the baby is born. After that, you should allow her to stay home with your mom. You are right about there being germs everywhere, but then again you don't want to risk your beautiful daughter's health. I mean, you're gonna have a newborn at home, and having a sick toddler at the same time is not really the best thing for the babies or for you.
  • I would b mad also
  • I totally understand where you're coming from. I do think it should be at the parent's discretion, but at the same sense, I gave birth last year in November, and both my daughters who are 5 and 6 now, ended up getting a stomach virus from being up at the hospital. So when my son was just a week old, and we were just getting home, I was taking care of two daughters on top of a newborn, who had a horrible stomach bug. It was so hard, and stressful praying my son doesn't get it. I hope the hospital out here has the same rule as yours, because if it doesn't, I know my mother in law will bring my 3 kiddos up to the hospital, and won't really pay attention to what they're touching. They will all get sick again.. Hospitals are filthy as crap! Bad enough we have to visit one to give birth.
  • The reason children are banned is because children are known for not washing there hands, sneezing and coughing without using a tissue they spread germs. Its selfish to want your if there when there is a flu outbreak as they may have it but not be showing symptoms yet and flu can be dangerous to newborn baby's and mum's recovering from having there babies. Its not all about you i suggest you let your mum look after your child or find someone.
  • That's always been the policy at the hospitals in my area. No visitors under 14. I didn't realize it wasn't like that everywhere else!!
  • Its flu season and children are usual carriers or they can easily contract the flu too... this year influenzaA has been hitting in higher number than expected and young children dont handel it well... just a precautionary thing as much as it sucks
  • edited January 2013
    @silverfairy how dare you call me selfish!! Ok so what if the workers have been exposed?? And if its that bad why aren't all visitors banned to protect the newborns?? It is spread thru the air...think ab it before you start talking to me that way. Children are not the only ones who don't wash their hands, I work with the public and see plenty of bad hygiene. I suggest you realize that germs are EVERYWHERE and not be attacking when you respond to someone and I hate to break it to you but it is all about me and my family when it comes to my situation!!! parents should be able to make their own choices and this means the world to mine. My mother works full time at a new job where she has no earned time off and the rest of my family is in NY, not everyone has help...Ugh!! @perly I was planning on my mom watching her while I labor and when its show time letting them in. @mommylovessparkle I def understand why they are doing it, I just agree in my area everyone keeps thinking its just a cold not the flu so no where is safe. And thank you for stating your opinion in a respectful way, means a lot!! @homebirthadvocate my friend will be the delivering nurse ill be calling her today, if it wasn't so late in the game I would switch my birth plan bc of how much this means to me. This will be my last child and I'm an only child so I won't let my mom miss this. The hospital where I deliver has a seperate building for l&d, I see it no more dangerous then going to the Drs office. @mommyof3girls @ourlittlenugget I know :-( I don't know what to do! I am going to call hospital admin.
  • @starrxoxo9 really?? That's crazy I've never heard of that. @everyone I just found out its in public hospitals not private unless they choose to implement it...damn I don't know what to do
  • I def understand why your upset. I'd be too if my son weren't allowed to visit me and his brother. But, this rule is to protect patients.
  • I think the huge point that is being missed is if they are so concerned then ALL visitors should be banned bc you don't really know who has been exposed. @thehumancrockpot the flu doesn't discriminate unfortunately and yes kids have a weaker immune system so do the elderly so does someone with other medical conditions. Its not right to only ban kids. And honestly I think kids have more sense then some adults. I see adults everyday walking around sneezing coughing and still coming to get their hair done, going to the grocery store etc
  • edited January 2013
    @sands3 im just trying to understand how would it protect patients if say for example my daughter couldn't come visit even not sick yet someone who is over 12 could enter sick that's where I find this to be crazy.
  • edited January 2013
    Ps hi mama_kat!!!
  • Maybe it's to protect the kids that come there too, not just the patients. :/
  • I don't know. Maybe like Wilsomom said...to protect the kids too because their immune systems are not as strong yet. Im sure if your mom came in coughing and sneezing, they wouldn't let her in the delivery room.
  • edited January 2013
    As someone who worked in a hospital, I think the purpose is to prevent a flu epidemic. Children are exposed to a higher number of individuals per day than most adults. Since they are confined to closed spaces ( i.e. school), then the likelihood of spreading something viral increases, which causes a public health concern. Hospitals are already being bombarded with a high number of cases and this is just a precautionary measure to prevent further exposure. Given the nature of a labor and delivery ward, where many are compromised because of surgical procedures and newborn babies who are not yet immune to the viral nature of our world, the rule is a blessing. It's awful enough watching our LO suffer from something viral, it would break my heart to watch a newborn suffer -- especially if it is preventable.

I'm sorry you are upset and have to experience it, but I think you may find that it is a blessing in disguise. :)
  • At my hospital its no one under 12 unless its the parents child
  • @kenzie0713 yeah well then do that. Try to have her there the day you give birth,, so she can meet the little one and then she can stay home with grandma the next day or however long you're in the hospital. I mean, the most important thing is that she meets the baby and that she is stays healthy the whole time :)
    I think the ban should be different, not only on children but unfortunately its not our hospital :(
  • They do this only during the winter in my town but what sucks is for my family who've never had the flu or shot where does that leave us? My preemie was born in Oct 09 and my older son couldn't visit because he was under 12 but 4 adult family members could, so he didn't get to see his little brother until he came home in Dec. :/
  • I see why you are so upset. But the flu going around is really really icky. Kids have been dying. I dont want to take my son ANYWHERE right now lol. I had just made this comment to my MIL that he wont be going out much until they have better control of the outbreak.
  • My daughter stays home with me, no daycare, I'm able to do hair at night and on the weekend's when my hubby is off work, I'm very thankful. I called the hospital today and spoke with a charge nurse who said that she is contacting the board of directors bc this ban was just put in to effect a couple of days ago and that I surely won't be the only one with no help so they will have to make exceptions. She also told me to talk to my Dr at my next appt and he can also help to over ride it. Thank god!!
  • And again everyone please remember the l&d I go to is a complete seperate building from the hospital. I'm not saying its germ free and I know that there are risks but feel they are a bit lower with not being in the main hospital, may sound silly to some I know and I dont expect her to be there the whole time but def when its show time and maybe a quick visit the next morning :-) other then that I am going to have her stay with my mom.
  • I'm glad you got to talk to someone and hopefully they get something figured out for you
  • @sands3 thank you!! I hope so 2!!