Natural Family Planning

So I'm thinking about going off the pill for a while or maybe permanently, but I do not want to get pregnant. I really don't want to use any kind of hormonal birth control because I feel like I can't control my mood swings or lose any weight no matter how hard I try. And I'm already on a super low dose of hormones. I also cannot stomach the thought of an IUD so that's out too lol. So I've done NFP in the past but it only lasted a few months because we hated condoms and spermicide burned us both lol. Plus the nervousness of getting pregnant just got to me. Anyway, has anyone successfully used NFP as a method of preventing pregnancy for a long period of time? Any advice is welcome!!! Thanks :)

Comments

• Oh and I should add that I'm familiar with tracking my cycles, but I've only ever used the my days app. It's pretty right on, but since I've been on the pill that was a given.
  • Buy the book take charge of your fertility.
  • @bahamamama4828 I'll look for that thanks!!! :) miss you btw!! Do you ever go on palringo anymore??
  • I use mydays and I also stay away from hubby 3 days before ovulation and 3 days after...just in case...lol it's worked for us...We've been doing that since 10/2011...
  • Nope. Not this gal. I get pregnant at the drop if a hat. My fertility is a curse.
  • The only thing about NFP is that you can't have sex during your fertile time....which is also your most ...uhhh how shall I say it... your most horny time!!!! LOL :D Sad but true!
  • I'm always on palringo! Wish you had a Facebook!
  • edited February 2013
    @juliansmommy yea that's what we TRIED doing before lol, I'm gonna have to be more persistent this time. I got too nervous about getting pregnant so I went back on the pill.

@captivated lol aww well I think I'm pretty fertile too which is why I'm kinda nervous. I got pregnant with Tessa after one normal period off the pill.

@monkey_girl well we do want another baby just not now. I'll probably do that after my second.

@wilsomom see that's the other thing I hate about the pill, I don't have a horny time! Ever!! Lol
    @bahamamama4828 I'm gonna download palringo again!
  • Maybe you can use natural Lamb condoms. It's as natural as it can get. I've tried them and they feel pretty close to the real thing.
  • edited February 2013
    I know what you mean...lol like monkeygirl said keep condoms around and use them during the week you're most fertile. I hate taking bc because I've gained weight while on it. So far this has worked for us (let me knock on wood).lol
  • @juliansmommy haha yea don't jinx yourself! I'm gonna finish this pack of pills and then talk to my midwife when I have my appt march 25. The only thing I dread is how small and floppy my boobs get off the pill lmao. Birth control is like an instant boob lift for me haha.
  • @monkey_girl hmm idk those sound so weird to me! Pardon my ignorance, but are they really made out of lamb skin?? Lol
  • I think their made out of sheep membrane. But they are the most natural. You can try finding some that are close to it if it makes you uncomfortable.
  • Yep ive read taking charge of your fertility. Great book I even reccomened it for the ttc ladies. It really teaches u stuff about your body that you didn't know
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @homebirthadvocate I know this post is old but I chickened out and stayed on the pill lol. Well this new one I'm on has made me a hungry raging maniac and I'm ready to quit the pill for good. I just got my period today and am not going to start a new pack. I was going to call my midwife to talk about possibly getting a diaphragm or cervical cap to use during the fertile times but I was wondering if you had an opinion on those methods. Or even using sponges. (Can you tell we really hate condoms? ? Lol)
  • @homebirthadvocate so im on the pill and i startes my 3rd pack on monday. I haven't had a period since my pp bleeding ended at 6weeks pp. We've been using condoms since we started having sex again and i've taken a total of 5 pregnancy test and they are all negative.
    Should i be worried? Do i continue using condoms as a back up? How much longer should i wait for my period before contacting my Dr.?