Phentermine??**weight loss update at bottom**

Has anyone taken this successfully? I am seriously considering it. I am 5'1" and weigh 155. I've slowly put 30 lbs on over the past 9 years. I lost all the weight I gained being pregnant and have been stuck here for almost 2 years. I know pills aren't the answer but I've been eating a low cal diet(1450-1500 per day) and excercising 4-5 times a week since January and have only lost 3 damn pounds. This is the point where I always get frustrated and say f* ck it and give up. I REALLY want to try for another baby after Tessa's 2nd bday in august but I absolutely refuse to get pregnant again at this weight. My goal weight is 125 but I would settle for 130. So I just feel if the phentermine can give me a jumpstart and help me lose even 10lbs it will be the motivation I need to keep going! So please share your success stories!!

Comments

• @starrxoxo9 i used it and i actually lost 25lbs on it. But it was hard to keep the weight off once i stopped taking them.
    I would recommend you to change your workout routine and try that for a little and see how that works for you. When i was still working at the gym, the trainers would tell me that what happens is that after following a certain diet and exercise routine, your body plateaus because it gets used to your diet and workout plan and that's when you stop losing weight. In order to break that plateau, you need to change your workout plan and challenge your body again.

I really didn't believe them at first, but after watching all these people come in everyday and reaching their goals in less amount of time that one would think, i started believing.
    Good luck, and i hope whatever you choose gets you to your goal. I know exactly what it feels to get stuck at a certain weight, and i know it sucks.
  • @perly thanks for sharing!! I usually cycle 3 different routines through the week so that won't happen, but I think I'm just really impatient lol. When you went off the phentermine did you start eating normally or were you still dieting? Did you keep excercising?
  • @mijita also says sometimes you have to eat more calories to change your metabolism around, but she can explain it better than I can if she sees this.
  • Where did you get it @perly ? I'm also interested in trying it, but I'm in Canada, so I have to get it from online, ans I'm nervous about where to buy it from.
  • @Natashalynn I don't think you can buy the real stuff online.
  • Oh. Damn. Lol thanks for saving me @starrxoxo9
  • edited March 2013
    If you have plateaued for that length of time, and truly watching your caloric intake then one of two things is happening. 1-you are eating the wrong combination of foods, 2-you are consuming too few or too many. Before I explain these, know that the body actually has a fat memory bank and will resist ”giving up,” any of its stored energy (fat) because it's protecting you from times of famine. You have to help it change its natural instincts. Aren't our bodies just spectacular?!?!

Ok, if you are consuming the wrong combination of foods, you may be hindering your weight loss efforts. Take for example a healthier meal (in your opinion) that consists mostly of carbohydrates. Although very good for you in the right portions can be bad for you in the wrong portions, here is why. Carbohydrates are easily digested. If too many are consumed our body gets an influx of sugar (glucose), which saturate our system and once our energy requirement is met the rest gets converted and stored as fat. If you balance your meals with healthy proteins and fat your body will receive a slower dose of energy. Protein is digested slower than carbohydrates and fat is digested even slower. Therefore, if your meal is balanced, the carbohydrates will provide an almost immediate energy source, then after a period another dose from protein, then from fat. Do you see the picture I'm painting? You'll feel satisfied longer and feel the need to eat less. While providing your body with a continuous and slower dose of energy.

Secondly, if you are overly active or more sedentary than you believe then you may be getting too many or too few calories. Since you are maintaining weight and not gaining, I want to say your caloric intake is on the low end. Try zig-zagging your caloric intake for the next couple weeks to try and trick your body into thinking it's in a time of feast. This should help get you out of the plateau you are experiencing. A difference of 150 calories may be all you need.

Suppressing your appetite is not a healthy approach to weightloss because you risk losing lean muscle from calorie restriction that occurs. Muscle burns more calories at rest than fat, so once you stop taking the pills you may experience a rapid rebound of weight gain, regardless if your eating habits remain the same.

The good thing is you've lost weight and haven't gained, regardless of your feelings of defeat. Weight loss is hard work and takes dedication and consistency. Don't defeat yourself by thinking of it as work, but rather make it routine and fun! :)

@wilsomom; thanks for the tag. I don't get them usually. Dumb phone.
  • Have you gotten your thyroid checked?
  • @starrxoxo09 @natashalynn i went to a weight loss clinic to get these pills. Along with the pills they give you a diet to follow as well. When i reached a certain weight, the doctor took me off the pills and i continued on the diet and workout plan i had but got stuck and after that the pounds started creeping in slowly.

@starrxoxo9 even though you are doing 3 different workouts a week, your body has already gotten used to those 3 cycles because you do them every week. Try mix matching your cycles now. That way you are still doing the same exercises, but in a new 3 cycle workout. That, along with @mijita advice on your diet should work.

I know you're gonna end up doing whatever you want, but i still strongly recommend you to try this first before you start using those pills. If i could take back using them, i would.
  • @mijita thanks for your advice! I will admit we have a bad habit of binging on crappy food once the weekend hits. Only since the beginning of march have I truly been trying to stop that. So I'm guessing our weekends have been undoing all the work I've put in during the week? I also have a bad habit of "saving all my calories for dinner" and then over eating later in the day. I guess my logic has been that since the calorie count is still the same for the whole day it's ok but really it's not lol. I know the pills are not a quick fix but I have that quick fix mentality and I give up too easily. I'm definitely not as sedentary as I used to be, I've been doing 30-45 mins of cardio/strength training 4-5 days a week and during the 24hrs a week that i work I am always moving (I'm a hairstylist).

@excitedforoctober no, I haven't. I probably should get a physical, it's been years lol.
  • @perly yea, I think my problem is that I don't consistently stick with a routine long enough to see real results.
  • @starrxoxo9 i know lol. I do the same.
  • @mijita to give you a better idea of what I eat I'll tell you what I had so far today and what I have planned for dinner:

Breakfast- 2 scrambled eggs and 1 med. size banana

Snack- 1/2 cup of honey nut cheerios (dry) plus a few of Tessa's goldfish pretzels lol

Lunch- 2 slices of whole wheat toast with 1.5 tbsp of peanut butter

For dinner I'm making tacos using chicken breast, a small amount of taco seasoning, cheddar cheese, flour fajita sized tortillas and hot sauce. I usually have 2 small tacos and some chips and salsa or rice on the side.

I've been carefully monitoring my water intake and I drink about 8-10 8oz cups a day.
  • edited March 2013
    You're right on thinking that consuming most your calories in one meal is bad. The body can only utilize so much energy from one bolus at a time, anything above that will be stored for later use, but given our diet pattern, it doesn't get to utilize much of the stored energy. We then repeat the pattern and add another layer.

Aim for small meals that include both complex carbohydrates and protein. Most protein sources will provide fat and if you are aiming for lean then it'll be a good balanced meal.

Your snacking of only carbohydrates will cause a sugar spike and an increase likelihood of binging later. Lunch was perfect, it was well balanced. Carbohydrates: whole wheat toast, protein: peanut butter, and fat from the peanut butter. Take note how satisfied you were in comparison to your snack. You'll notice that your satiety level also last longer.

For dinner, I'd skip the rice. You are already getting a lot of carbohydrates from the tortilla and chips. I'd opt for beans, which provide more protein and fiber which will help fill you faster. Do you see what I'm saying?
  • @mijita thanks for putting so much thought into your reply!! What you say makes perfect sense! And just to clarify, for dinner I would only have the chips OR the rice. Not both :) I know carbs are my downfall so I've been trying to cut back! But it's hard lol. What are some good snacks for someone who really isn't a veggie lover? Lol.
  • @mijita I had a plate of raw broccoli for lunch. Is that actually hurting me or helping me?
  • There are tons of things you can snack on that aren't veggies. Cheese, nuts, yogurt, greek yogurt, homemade smoothies, avocado, cheese and meat roll ups, fruit (of course), seeds, boiled eggs, oatmeal, olives, steamed mushrooms, tuna and crackers, soy milk, chocolate milk, etc. Just be mindful of portion size. Just balance the macronutrients. :)
  • @mijita thank you :) I just need to think outside the box!! Lol
  • @molly, please don't misunderstand me. Broccoli is a great snack. What I'm getting at is eating too much carbohydrates with minimal protein and fat. You need to balance it out with all meals. If you consume a carbohydrate only meal, then you will fall hungry a lot quicker because you'll have an influx of glucose enter the bloodstream. Glucose is the simple sugar your body breaks down food to be utilized as energy. Just as quick as you get your sugar high, you'll crash which may cause cravings, hunger and possibly binge eating. Have you every noticed how hungry you feel after consuming a candy bar versus that of a healthy well balanced salad? This is why.

Broccoli contains fiber, which slows down digestion, so it is better than a simple carbohydrate (crackers, rice cakes). It is classified as a complex carbohydrate for this reason. Always try to incorporate a protein source to compliment the carbohydrates.

Carbohydrates are GOOD for us and are our primary source of energy, it's how you combine them with the other two food groups that are important. :)
  • Yes! :p

There is no rule that says a snack needs to be a certain thing. Explore your options and add more colors to your diet to ensure a variety of vitamins and minerals.
  • @mijita I see! Makes sense! So I need to add a protein to my lunch instead of eating broccoli only?
  • Yes, @molly, it helps provide a more rounded nutritious snack that feeds both brain and body. It will help you feel more satisfied and provide a more continuous source of fuel. Most importantly it helps maintain metabolism health.
  • @mijita is totally right. Focus on the right foods with healthy fats and carbohydrates and the right portions. Ur body stopped bc ur not eating enough its storing it for later in case it will be deprived of food again. Plus with u working out u need the fuel for ur muscle too and remember once u start putting on muscle it does weigh more then fat and the plus side to that is having muscle continues calorie burn through the day rather then people who just go to the gym only do cardio on machine doesn't build much muscle after they leave the calories don't continue to burn off as well just the regular speed of what ur body needs to use for normal day tascks like walking, breathing yes does burn little. But those are not good enough to burn off extra weight that our body might be holding on too. The list she gave u of snack foods is very good they are healthy in fats and u will notice they fill u up especially nuts. And like u were saying about the weekend that's number one down fall of soo many people they let go so ur body holds on to that bad food cause it doesn't know if it will get it again. And I'm not much of believer in diet as in something u do for short period of time then go back to the old ways u will gain the weight back no matter what its important to have routine u know is right for u and ur body and create a life style out of it something u can pass on to the rest of ur family to live happy and healthier life and longer too :)
  • @Jules thanks :) you're totally right!
  • in currently taking phentermine i have lost 14 lbs in 2 weeks and a total of 10inches. but i get some side effects with the meds
  • And I really wish u the best of luck and keep up the great work I can tell that u can do it most people would have given up by now. Oh and another great advice with these things is keeping a journal that way u can walk urself through the emotional part of it u can write down at end of the day what u had u don't even have to be detailed and how it made u feel and keep track cause every time u write down good day u feel in power and in control and it gives soo much streinght to keep going. U can also have friend or ur husband having a goal that way u keep each other going and in good spirits.
  • I have taken phentermine. I was exercising and eating healthy but my baby weight was not changing. So I got a prescription from my Dr. Yes it worked and I didn't have any side effects but when I stopped using it a gained some back. If you do get it, make sure you ate still eating very healthy and doing everything mijita said. And I would change your exercise routine more. Do stuff like zumba, some sport, dance, walking, running, weight lifting. Just gotta constantly change the exercise.... Constantly!
  • So after I posted this, I moped around for a couple weeks and finally put on my big girl panties and decided to lose weight the old fashioned way. I recalculated my numbers on My Fitness Pal, kept exercising 4-5 days a week, and am proud to say that as of today I am down 17lbs from my startingweight of 158. It's been a slow process (I plateaued for a month) but I haven't weighed 141 in probably 5 years so I'm thrilled :) 11 more pounds til my goal weight!! I really just want to be healthy, and go into my next pregnancy healthier than my first. I was borderline gestational diabetic with Tessa and I know my eating habits had everything to do with that. But I am feeling great and am confident that this is a lifestyle change forever! :D
  • Congrats! That's awesome! :)