Craving a Bloody Mary

edited April 2013 in Pregnant
With my first I was super cautious about everything I ate and drank but this time around not so much. I am planning on having an occasional drink. Anyone else? Or am I the only one :/ lol

Comments

• I personally wouldn't but that's just me
  • I had a glass of wine every so often.
  • I did with my second. I had wine occasionally. No biggie at all.
  • Three words ..FETAL ALCOHOL SYNDROME .

It's very real, and dangerous. There is SOME research that says red wine (and no other) is ok in small amounts. For me the risk is to real, I can wait the 9 months for a drink.
  • In countries like Peru pregnant women drink in moderation and don't have fetal alcohol syndrome or low rates of it..mommy brain can't remember..anyway i craved white wine..i drank it like 3 glasses total throughout my pregnancies.
  • Why risk ur baby?
  • I've been craving a few drinks too, but im just too scared to take that risk. I know one drink might not do much, but im just too scared. I could never live with myself if something were to happen out of that one drink. Its your decision though. Maybe something not so strong? I don't know. But good luck with that :)
  • edited April 2013
    @Ashley_smashley There is no research that shows that drinking alcohol in moderation causes Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. According to research I would have to be a raging alcoholic for my child to have Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.
  • Yikes who would participate in a pregnant woman drinking study lol
  • Seriously though the midwives around here suggest red if you need to relax
  • Try making a bloodymary without the alcohol in it you coulf make it taste the way you want it to and maybe it will pass the craving
  • @Bahamamama4828 I know, right?! Yeah, I think I'll drink red if need be.
  • @3rdXsacharm Ate some olives and that did the trick.
  • Lol you do what you want.
  • Olives did the trick? lol. I hate olives lol. I need to find an alternative because i have the craving bad. Maybe i should try olives....
    Hhmmm lol.
  • @perly yeah, they're so potent. I do want that extra kick though. Lol
  • @Ashley_smashley I wouldn't do it any other way. ;)
  • Lol I don't think 1 will hurt. A lot of midwives recommend 1 beer a month for chronic urinary tract infections. U also have to realize how much filtration happens before baby gets anything. Everything baby takes is what is stored in u. Yeah if u were a raging alcoholic that kinda lingers and baby would habe a higher chance of FAS. Things like prenatal vitamins aren't for baby, they're for u.Baby takes all ur stuff and it has to be replaced which is why they want u to take the vitamins. The whole u can't eat cold lunch meat and alllll this other stuff they say is brand new. I had my 4th in 2011 and now all of a sudden I can't eat cantaloupe cuz its harmful. That happens to be my favorite fruit. Alcohol is broken down and metabolized extremely quickly and by having 1 ever so often it doesn't exactly do anything. My husbands aunt handed me a glass of red wine like 6 weeks ago and saud um this isn't gonna hurt u. And she's been a nurse for many years. And frankly, if ur gonna do it, don't advertise. The judgment causes guilt and guilt causes stress and THAT is worse for baby than an occasional
  • edited April 2013
    @almost5 Thanks for the breakdown! :) Honestly people's negative comments don't bug me or stress me out. People will always disagree with you no matter what. Was just curious to see if I was the only one on here that felt this way and am not. It's nice to know I'm not alone. :)
  • @monkey_girl people don't bug me either lol ur welcome. I haven't craved alcohol ever but if I did, I would be ok with a sip or a taste or whatever lol when my husband tries a new beer, I always taste it. Same with when he makes a new drink. Not a biggie.
  • I wasn't making fun of anyone for suggesting otherwise..i was saying Peruvian moms drink 3x a week..a local midwife here is married to someone from Peru..i was just stating research.
  • @bahamamama4828 I didn't think that at all.
  • @bahamamama4828 I didn't think so either ;)
  • Ok good. Ashley is one of my friends so i wanted to clarify. We all have strong opinions and knowledge so i am confident in mine as well as all of you ;)
  • Agreed :) I know the relationships people can develop thru pregly XD
  • @bahamamama no worries lady! I was just saying it wasn't worth the risk for me. I don't think they can properly study the effects of alcohol on baby bc it's illegal to test in pregnant women.
  • Ya my curiosity would come from how do they REALLY know. I know that when my mom attempted to quit smoking while pregnant with my older brother he ended up having a stroke causing cerebral palsy but with me she smoked like normal and I was more than ok. And its hard to apply a rule to pregnancy because not everybody is the same. Ever. I try to live my life by everything in moderation and that's even more strict with pregnancy just because I feel as tho the babies really are delicate. But I also know they are super protected from outside influences to a certain extent. Of course not invincible. Not at all lol