My baby cries when trying to poop.

edited June 2013 in Babies Health
Adrian will be a month old on the 20th and the past 2 days he cries when he's trying to fart/poop. When he was close to two weeks i bought him the Mommy's Bliss Gripe Water because he was having a lot of colic and he wasn't sleeping well and he was just real fussy. I ended up changing his formula too and that along with the gripe water helped relief his colic and he could poop a lot better too. But these last two days he cries when he tries to fart or poop. So im wondering if it hurts, and what can i do to help him. Im still giving him the Gripe Water cause he's a real gassy baby, but is there anything else i can do? Should i call his doctor?

Comments

• Yes I would call the dr hope he feels better soon
  • Have u tried prunes they really water everything down. Hope he feels better soon!
  • edited June 2013
    I would call his Dr. I dont think you should give prunes to a 1 month old. Sounds like his tummy doesn't like his current formula.
  • @jules how would the prunes work? He's a few days from turning one month.

@ashley_smashley i think that's what im gonna do because i really don't know what to do and i hate to see him cry.
  • I would agree with calling the dr. They might suggest 2oz of water to try 1st , cause that's what the nurse suggested for Sidney when she was that tiny. (I was told by a few drs, they can have 2oz of water for every month of life... just needs to be given very slowly.. a little at a time) If not, there are a few over the counter things you can do with your pedis ok. Poor little guy... I hate that helpless mommy feeling, even now. I hope you find something to help him.
  • You can put a little Karo in his bottle. My doctor told me to do that with my son. Also try laying him across ur legs in histummy to burp him
  • Do u also bf or only formula?
  • @stillsurprised i'll do that. Thank you.
    @stephforever89 i've heard of that too, im gonna buy some. Thank you.
    @2lilblessings formula only.
  • Be careful with karo syrup it contains botulism spores that's also found in honey and dangerous under 2 years old. I'd water down some baby food prunes. Mix a spoonful with about two oz of water. Sounds like he's constipated
  • Be careful with karo syrup it contains botulism spores that's also found in honey and dangerous under 2 years old. I'd water down some baby food prunes. Mix a spoonful with about two oz of water. Sounds like he's constipated
  • Sorry my phone is crazy.
  • edited June 2013
    I was told about the karo syrup when my daughter was tiny too. You aren't giving enough to be harmful.... at least you shouldn't be.
  • @mommylovessparkle but he's not constipated. He poops twice a day.
  • I kind of remember my son going through a stage when he was really little where he would cry whenever he had to fart or poop. I think my Dr told me to give him a little karo syrup and that made it better. I wish I remembered more, it feels like a lifetime ago.
  • @frantastic im gonna buy some right now.
  • I think that would help soften them up so he doesn't have such a hard time.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • If I remember correctly it has to be dark karo syrup not the clear kind.
  • @homebirthadvocate his stool is not hard at all. Sometimes is just mushy and sometimes its runny but its never been hard.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @homebirthadvocate thank you. I bought the Karo but i haven't used it. Its not even open yet. I guess i'll keep it just in case i need it. I'll call his doctor in the morning and leave a message so the nurse can call me first thing Monday. Thank you very much :)
  • Well they make poop really soft and if u eat them when they already have soft poo then it makes it watery. And just helps poo in general. I always keep small thing in jar around if I think my daughter is uncomfortable.
  • @jules what i meant to say is that my baby is a newborn. I can't give him prunes. I was thinking that maybe there was a certain way i could do the prune thing because he can't chew on the actual prune.
  • I see sorry forgot that's good point poor thing do you bottle feed?
  • @jules yes i do.
  • Well it could be the type of bottles causing it happened with my daughter when she was newborn so we switched her to playtex ventair. I breastfed her mostly but had pumped milk while I had to go to work so my hubby could feed her. And before the bottle switch she had that same problem. We also bought her the tummy belt really calmed her tummy down. Plus it's all natural.
  • If tbe stool isnt hard, itcould be he doesnt like the feeling. I dont remember what age my dd was but she went through a phase where she'd cry when she was pooping and would make a look like she was trying really hard (we think she was trying to stop herself from pooping). We talked to our dr and he said some babies dont like the feeling. It only lasted like a month and she finally got over it.