Sippy Cup

So my daughter is now 19 months I'm trying figurep out when to transition from sippy only cause I heard something about it recently but I feel like it's way too soon... I mean she has cups that are with straws I'm not ready for simple cup or anything that be big mess lol..What do all your lo usually use? And have u heard anything bad about sippy cups?

Comments

• My 21mo old drinks strictly out of these cups called "Grow Up Cup" by the brand Sassy, we bought a bunch from Babies R' Us. They are spill proof and we loooove them.
  • edited August 2013
    My baby cousin is 1 an she has a sippy cup that looks jus like a regular cup I've never seen them before but def gonna try to find them . they look exactly like a cup but doesn't leak
  • Its exactly wat excitedforoctober is talking about
  • I don't think there's anything wrong with sippy cups especially with a 19 month old. We didn't give my niece a regular cup till she was 3. Until then, we just switched her from soft nipple sippy cups to a more hard nipple to finally a regular cup.
  • @perly ya all the once she has are hars nipple and shes not a pacifier girl so I'm not too worried thanks helps me feel better. Plus she doesn't have many teeth lol shes behind in that department :). She does drink water out of my cup I usually help her but im not ready to always have with cup since I don't want water all over the place in case she has an accident ya know.
  • @excitedforoctober
    @mrz_jackson
    Thanks guys I actually saw those while registering for this baby maybe I'll go back and get them she probably like it especially since she's always drinking my water out of my cup lol she likes big girl stuff :)
  • I just looked up the ones excitedforoctober mentioned and they look good! Give them a try, that might do the trick.
  • My daughter is 2 (today!!! Lol) and still can't manage a regular cup. She still uses the ones with the straw. She just realized that if she shakes it water will come out (and she thinks its hilarious) so she's definitely not getting a regular cup yet lol.
  • @starrxoxo9 lol thats funny. My daughter loves regular cup since shes always using mine but I can't leave her alone with it just in case. The straw once are great my daughter used to blow bubbles in hers when I first got them.
  • My daughter never drank out of sippy cups. She started drinking out of a straw at 6 months old and drinking out of regular cups. I would recommend getting disposable straws that bend at the top. Those were the easiest for her to suck out of. I tried the the plastic cups with built in straws but they always spilled because she would tilt them. (Big mess)

Try buying some small plastic cups for kids and train her to drink out of them and how to hold without spilling. It's gets easier after the second day. I don't use straws anymore, unless we're at a restaurant.

• @monkey_girl oh really my daughter loves those never had problem. She knows u don't have to tilt them. I'm gonna get her those cups I saw at babiesrus now that I've seen others like them :)
  • edited August 2013
    I think she tilted them because you have to do that with a regular cups and she was already used to drinking out of those when I introduced them.

Yeah, get some really fun ones! Good luck and have fun!
  • My kids' dentist said no sippy cups after 18 months, however my 23 month old still uses one. I'm gonna try that grow up cup you guys were talking about, it sounds like a good transition.
  • I bought the grow up cup today....for the car cause my daughter liked to dump cups. She couldn't get anything out of it no matter how hard she tried, then I left it on her carseat when I was at my gpas. I guess it tipped and it leaked all over her seat. I was pissed. I took it back this afternoon and just got the ones with the straws that luck. I guess spill proof doesn't mean leak proof.
  • @stillsurprised oh that sucks and u double checked it was aligned properly I do that with my daughters cups all the time. But ya the straw once have worked well for us :)
  • @jules yepI did that before I have it to her. It made me mad cause we still had errands to run so she had a wet butt. She loves the straw ones anyways. I will stick to what I know works good from now on.
  • @stillsurprised that's really weird, we have a bunch and they never leaked. About the not being able to get anything out of them, were they the insulated ones? They have regular and insulated ones, we bought insulated ones one day too and he couldn't get anything out of them either. Maybe the insulated ones are harder to get the liquid out since there is an extra layer.
  • But yes, when you.close the cup you need to be sure it is perfectly aligned, I have.closed them thinking they looked aligned but were not.
  • @stillsurprised ya I thinks its good to stay with what works but my daughter has really been into drinking water from my cup so I want her to think shes just like us and has cup. Im gonna get one to give it try hope won't have any problems....ill be crossing my finger over here :)
  • I think they were insulated, I mean I could barely get anything out. I made sure everything was right where it was supposed to be. Maybe I just got a crappy one or something. Regardless I returned it and now she has some new ones that she can easily drink out of and I made sure... super sure lol that they don't leak. I guess they just weren't for us... I am glad they work for you though @excitedforoctober. :)
  • @stillsurprised lol, we tried drinking out of them too and couldn't get anything out either
  • lol how so they expect. lil ones to do it, if adults can't. The concept is good.... but I think they need to fix a few things.
  • @excitedforoctober does ur lo actually get anything out of it? Just hard for you? Or u bought the regular once? I was thinking about getting the insulated once today...
  • Definitely don't get the insulated ones, those are the ones we couldn't get anything out of. The regular ones work perfectly :) haven't bought any other kind of cup since we found these. Hope your LO loves them like my little guy does.
  • @excitedforoctober so I got the regular once and it comes out fine however she thinks the middle part is where your supposed to put your mouth, which is weird bc she knows how to use regular cup..I'm gonna keep letting her try maybe she will get it when she feels like it lol.
  • Maybe if u use it for a day or pretend to use it lol then she will see how you do it and catch on, my son copies everything we do and always surprises me at how fast he catches on to things.
  • Ya ive been doing that so has hubby and we tried showing her directly few times. I'm not sure if shea just too excited to have her own cup that im not helping her hold because like I was saying she knows how to drink from regular cups we have caught her many times with our waters lol