strep b ?

2»

Comments

• I'm in the UK, this is my 2nd pregnancy, never been tested for GBS, they just don't see a need to over here
  • ^^^see. Hibicleanse has been shown to be just as effective.
  • edited September 2013
    If you have it, please do not refuse antibiotics. I had gbs with my son but tested negative. Early the morning after my son was born, he became very sick. Many tests were done and too many terrifying days passed before we finally found out he was born with group b strep sepsis. He was in the Nicu for 15 days on iv penicillin. After 10 days of being on the medication that saved his life, his kidneys could no longer process the penicillin, and they nearly gave out. They permanently destoryed the function of one of the kidneys, and he developed high blood pressure as a result. He was on blood pressure medication until he was four. He still has higher than normal blood pressure for a 6 year old, but it no longer needs to be regulated. If anything should happen to the kidney that still functions, it could be extremely devistating to his health, or even cause death. If I knew before I went into labor that I was gbs+, I would have opted to take the antibiotics myself, without hesistation, to prevent the damage they inflicted on my son's little body.
  • @drgonzo523 oh my goodness can't imagine how hard that's been glad that now his better and no longer has to be monitored. My husband actually saved a man two nights ago. He was only 35 had similar history and kidney any out he died. Once my husband got there he did everything he knows and brought the man back to life. He was too young to to and God has different plan for him. I hope to your son and all that have this never have to go through that. Thank you for sharing your story..although I do not have gsd I know women that do and I hope they take your advice. After all why risk it? The antibiotics have been offered for a reason at that point.
  • @drgonzo123 oh my goodness poor baby :( I can just imagine how devastating that must have been. Thank you for sharing your story, so people understand the importance of taking the antibiotics.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @homebirthadvocate nobody is fear mongering. You have your beliefs and I respect that but telling someone to refuse medical intervention, especially without you knowing medical history, is a little extreme. The same way you can't assume that the previous mentioned person had systemic GBS, you can't assume that the baby will be born just fine.

• No. I did not have have systemic gbs. I was pefectly healthy during labor, and after birth. My son was born ill, and it was pretty serious. He contracted the infection during labor. Sharing my experience is not fear mongering, and I really don't appreciate being accused of doing so by telling my story. I don't think minimalizing the seriousness of what happened to us, or GBS in general, is helping anyone.
  • And thank you @jules and @excitedforoctober for your kind words.
  • @everyone I want to thank every Single one of you that took the time to tell me your opinions ... I don't have nobody but you guys so thank you so much

My baby born sep 22 2013
    He's doing great and please as I say I thsnk each and everyone of your opinions !!!
  • edited September 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited September 2013
    Ok, homebirthadvocate. You obviously know more about my case than the doctors who diagnosed and treated us. At the time I was tested, I was negative. Although I never actually tested positive, I know I had to have had some form of GBS. My son did not present symptoms immediately after birth, but he was noticeably ill early the next morning, as I already stated. He was diganosed with early-onset GBS sepsis. According to the CDC, and many other sources, babies CAN contract the infection during labor. "For early-onset disease, the group B strep bacteria are passed from the mother to the baby, most often during labor and birth." Using blanket statements and misleading information about how people feel about csections, going past their due dates, and how can babies contact GBS really discredits much of what you said.
  • edited September 2013
    "If a mother who carries GBS is not treated with antibiotics during labor, the baby’s risk of becoming colonized with GBS is approximately 50% and the risk of developing a serious, life-threatening GBS infection is 1 to 2% (Boyer & Gotoff 1985; CDC 2010)"
    In a previous post you stated that the CDC no longer recommends antibiotics for women of unknown status. OP was positive. To say she doesn't need treatment because the risk of colonization is too low is misleading.
    Also you said "And most babies who get ill from GBS are infected prior to birth due to systemic GBS so antibiotics during labor do nothing for them." That, too, is misleading. See previous CDC quote in my last post that states most babies contract gbs during birth & delivery.
    I really don't have time to argue with you any more. However, the next time you choose to diagnose me or my son through a computer, or make assumptions regarding my case that you know nothing about, please try to restrain yourself.
  • edited September 2013
    I deleted my post. I am done arguing, the point seems to be moot.
  • I will certainly follow what my doctor and my children's doctor recommends, last time I checked they were the ones with PhD's. Of course not all doctors have the same knowledge or experience but I trust mine. Following the advice from someone over the internet, regarding something so serious, is absurd.
  • Getting off topic - discussion closed by Martin
This discussion has been closed.