leaking...

edited November 2013 in Third Trimester
Does anyone have experience with leaking amniotic fluid? How does one know? With my first my water broke at home. Now I'm 37w1d and whatever is on my underwear doesn't smell like pee. Sorry if tmi but I went to the bathroom after I wiped I smelled it clearly smells like pee..then smelled my clean shorts that I just put on bc the other once were little wet and not same smell at all..maybe urine doesn't smell much once it's on clothing and I'm just being weird. And it's just some extra urine before and after I use the bathroom. Or its amniotic fluid, or just some extra discharge. I'm obviously lost .

Comments

• I Think if it was urine it would still have a slight smell to it no matter what it was on. Maybe u have a slow leak/small tear? Does it have a color to it? Coz discharge would still be milky whit no?
  • I remember from previous discussions on here, you can buy nitrazine paper from a pet store to test the fluid, if its amniotic it'll turn the paper dark blue I think.
  • @adri805 no it's just little liquid no milky stuff.
    @willothewisp oh really? Maybe I should look into that.thanks.
  • I heard amniotic liquid smells sweet. When I was that far along with my last pregnancy I always thought I was, leaking but it was just the extra pressure causing more discharge, but I would check with my doctor just in case.
  • I would check with Dr my water broke only a lil with my 1st so I thought it was just s lil pee dribble I was at the hospital changing into a gown I didn't say anything they asked me if my water broke I was embarrassed I thought it was just s lil pee it wasn't much but they tested and my water barley broke but couldn't leave hospital
  • @excitedforoctober did your have sent?.I'm like sometimes think it is then now I just woke up I'm totally dry so think I'm fine...
    @debs ya my first time mine broke while I was using the bathroom so I still wasn't sure even though my pants were getting little wet after cause more was coming out. I wish it had certain color so we would all know for sure. At least with my first after little while I did get contractions so that made me think ok must have been water for sure when we got to hospital they told me right away so I felt better knowing I wasn't peeing myself lol
  • When my water broke with my first it didn't have any scent at all.
  • Mine either and mine was also just a slow leak.
  • @perly ya I don't remember mine I didn't smell it since most of it went in the toilet. Now wish I would have lol
    @coltensmamma how did you know that it wasnt just discharge or pee little.
  • Mine continued to do it until contractions started like six hours later....careful though, i only had contractions for like 45 mins before my daughter came out...it was nuts. Lol i dont know if it was because my watee was broke for so long before my contractions started or what...but when it was go time, it was go time lol
  • The first time I had a slow leak I had my underwear off cuz I was in the hospital & it was just a tiny drip that kept running down my leg. I heard it smells sweet too, but I never smelled it. Lol
  • @coltensmamma oh ok well mine started yesterday and ive only had few painful contractions in middle of the night and only Braxton hicks since then.
    @wilsomom ya its only getting my underwear wet I just change them not going down my leg. But im wearing clothe. The doc I just talked on the phone with said if it were fluid I would be leaving wet spots wherever I sit, or if I had pad it would be super wet. So according to his description its just discharge or pee. He didn't give me any advice on what to do. I went bough the ph paper the box I have only text 6.0 or higher which urine is 4.0. But also according to the box 6.0 would stay yellow mine turned orange which is 7.5 and according to what ive read online that amniotic fluid. So doing all that and talking to the doc has done nothing im still confused stuck in middle. Thinking paper thing might not be working and I would have more according to the doc.
  • You might want to get checked just in case, but I know I always wondered if I was leaking at the end too. It's so confusing for sure.
  • I think u should get checked as well
  • @wilsomom @adri805 well haven't had much going on today so I feel better about that..hubby is gonna get the real strips from work tonight ill tets with that tomorrow.
  • Oh ok. My water was all over the bathroom floor lol.
  • @perly ya I was picturing that happening to me while in public. I got lucky that I made it to the toilet but then it kept leaking obviously so I kept changing until I realized it wasn't gonna stop I better put pad on lol. I for some reason have feeling I just have random pee leaking here and there this time or at least for now.
  • @jules update? How are you feeling? Well I hope :)
  • @rockiespurple well it's really weird I had the leaking on Friday and Saturday morning then nothing since. And then since then I've had painful contractions on and off just few during the day and night and getting period like cramps randomly as well. So not sure what's up with my body. I'm assuming it's just because I'm near the end. And I'm gonna ask one the nurses if the doc can check me because of all this going on. He usually doesn't check until 38 and half weeks at my appointment I'll be 38 weeks so it's silly to not check me I think since the next appointment after that won't be until 39 weeks. With my first I had her at 39 weeks so don't see point to that lol
  • Cheese and rice! Is it your water? Some women leak slowly instead of it breaking.
  • @monkey_girl im not sure what it was. I'll find out hopefully at my appointment on Wednesday. It sure is confusing since its normal to have discharged especially at the end. And with my first my water broke so there was a lot obviously.
  • @jules hopefully it just means your body has been hard at work and you'll progress quickly
  • @Jules keep us updated! Good luck today! :)
  • @monkey_girl I actually ended up going to the doc yesterday because my hubby had to work today. It went well. He tested for possible leaking and came out negative so that's great news! However he asked me if I wad itchy I am not and I guess I have very very small yeast infection which I've never had so he gave me some medicine maybe that was the extra discharge was. He also checked my cervix and I was still closed :( that was bummer to hear especially since two nights ago I had those crazy contractions for little over 2 hrs guess those did nothing. But I forgot to ask him about effacement wish I would have because I've been taking epo and drinking my red raspberry leaf tea. Plus that to me is more important because with my first I was only at 1cm and my water still broke early. But I'm gonna keep moving now that only down to two weeks!
  • Oh no:/ what a bummer!!!
  • My friend went into labor by using early prim rose she started it at 36 weeks her water broke on her and had baby 4 hrs later.
  • @adrie805 ya itd weird like I said I dont feel anything I feel totally normal anf like I said ive never had one before. So im doing great and glad that it was just start of kne therefore the medicine will kick it in the butt before I even know.
  • edited November 2013
    @debs whats early prim rose? Not same as evening primerose oil? Because I've been using that since 36 weeks from what I know it just helps soften the cervix.