stethoscopes!(nurses please help)

edited March 2011 in Pregnant
Does anyone know if you can hear the babys heart beat with a stethoscopes at 12 weeks? Im trying and cant here nothing

Comments

• probably not id say maybe 16 weeks n depends on position of the baby aswell
  • Did you press down on your belly like press into it? @ ta2edblondie
  • @mamikailee no you can't hear it until you are around 20+ weeks
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The baby has to be in just the right position, with its back facing out. It's easier once the baby is in position for delivery, but even then it's hit or miss. My sister used to try all the time with all of our pregnancies (she's a nurse, I'm not) and it wasn't until near the end that we actually found it. A home doppler works better.
  • Its 16weeks onwards that you can hear it. My midwife said don't panic if she couldn't find it..
  • I'm 18 weeks and I have am electronic stethescope and I can't hear it.
  • The heartbeat would be very hard to hear because of the amniotic sac.
  • My husband is a physician and he uses his stethoscope to listen to my belly. He said the heart beat is VERY difficult to get with one of those, but he is able to hear her moving around. He can hear "bong...bong....bong" and that's her hitting the inside of her sac. You can sometimes hear this pounding noise from within on the scope and see her pushing on the outside. That might be more interesting to listen for! Just be sure that you do it well after your meal or all you will hear is bowel sounds.