Have you had several miscariages and no real reason why? It could be MTHFR.

There is a genetic disorder called MTHFR that not too many people or even doctors know about. If you have been unsuccessful in carrying a healthy pregnancy I suggest you get tested for it. It is a simple blood test and there is treatment. I know because I had 5 miscarriages and got tested.....it came back positive. Once I got on the treatment I am successfully in my 32nd week of pregnancy with a healthy baby girl. Treatment is very simple. I will be creating another discussion that will talk more in detail about MTHFR, the cause, treatment, side effects, etc. I'm not an expert....just a desperate mom to be that did tons of research. There isn't a lot of research out there or much talk about it at all so I want to share what I know, have tried myself, have learned.... and make more people aware and hopefully help someone else.....
Check back soon for my post.

Comments

• Wow, I'd love more info ... I've had 11 miscarriages, 2 preterm baby boys which passed away & only 1 living child .. I'm currently 6 weeks pregnant and full of hope
  • First off, start taking a folic acid supplement with a vitamin B complex along side of your prenatal vitamins. It won't hurt even if your results come out negative. Next, call your OBGYN and ask them to test you for MTHFR. If they won't, find a doctor that will. I will post more info on this topic soon but you could check out my other discussion on support for people with MTHFR for now. Please start the supplements ASAP. Good luck and I will talk to you soon.
  • WOW... I'm really happy that your putting this information out there. I will definitely pass this on to my friends ttc.
  • Here is a good link to check out....it gives a lot of detail on how MTHFR can effect you and your baby....

http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/111/19/e289
  • I have a healthy son who will be four soon.. about a year an a half ago I had a m/c and now im five weeks and three days.. yesterday I started to bleed/ spot brown and red. This morning went to pee and it has stopped doc says could be from having sex yesterday or my cervix.. if I do miscarry do u think it could be mthfr? I just dont understand why my body is lacking during pregnancy now.
  • @novmthumper11 is everything better now?
  • So far so good still nomore spotting and now getting the sickness symptoms since last nite.. ill know by weds when I get my next u.s. but keep praying things seem ok.
  • I have MTHFR and its caused mountains of problems for my pregnancy at least now we know what's causing the problems. I also have bloodclots which they r saying its cuz of the disorder and I'm on blood thinners now. Thankfully my son is ok for now and I can handle any problems with myself just as long as he's ok im happy.
  • I just found out I have factor 5 leiden, reason why I had 2 miscarriages and preeclamsia on my last pregnancy, now im preggo again and im in blood thinners and baby aspirin. Im glad they found out now, it was very scary when I had my first baby, they had to do an emergency c-section at 8 months because my preeclamsia got worse and worse. We are both doing great, and this pregnancy is going well so far. Im 6 months now :)
  • I've had two m.c this past year. Im 10 weeks now. Im taking progesterone pills,baby asprin, vitamin d3. The babys h.b went up to 171.
  • My mom had 6 miscarriages.
  • Sorry it took so long to respond....have lots going on.

@ novmthumper11 I couldn't say for sure, you would have to ask your doctor to test you for it. It's a simple blood test. Although I can say if you carried a healthy baby to term, and had no troubles getting pregnant and so far have another healthy pregnancy I doubt you have MTHFR. But if you are concerned or have a family history of MTHFR then it can't hurt to get tested.

@ Kungsmama yes, blood clots are a direct side effect of MTHFR. Depending on the level or severity of the disorder and which type you have, while both are very serious, one is worse then the other and may require a strong prescribed blood thinner, the other type you can get away with baby asprine and lots of water. Do you know what your levels were and what type you have? I have the less severe kind so I was able to get away with baby asprine and lots of water.... I suggest you read the article I posted above and then ask your doctor to go over your results with you.

@ T_Rogers did they test you for MTHFR? just curious because you said you are on baby asprine....if so and you do have it then do you also have other health issues? I'm wondering why they have you on progesterone.... from my research, that is not the typical way to treat it....just curious.

• Islandgirl sorry to hear that. Is this your first pregnancy? How is it going so far?
  • Ya I have the T type of it. I'm taking lovenox (blood thinners) for it and will have to stay on it for 6 weeks after my son is born. I'm not sure of the exact levels ill have to look at the labs. I only found out I had it cuz I was admitted to the hospital and had ER surgery for a massive kidney infection and a stone bigger than a quarter. Well I had to be on antibiotics for about 3 weeks so they put a pic line in so I could do treatment at home. 4 days later it was hurting and they did an us and I had clots in my ARM from it. They did bloodwork and found out I had it :( and now I get my blood thinner levels checked every month and I'm on the correct dose now. I've read over the article and done tons of self research on it. Thanks for posting this tho to help other moms out :) oh and to message people put the @ sign and no spaces in and it will highlight the name and msg that person. I only noticed u wrote me back cuz I looked at the article again :) gl to u mama hope to hear from u soon. We can be MTHFR buddies lol. And happy pregnancy :) ill be 18w on Tuesday what about u?
  • @novmthumper11 / @t_rogers / @Islandgirl / read above.

@kingsmama thanks for the tip.;)
  • P.s. I will be 36 wks tomorrow....almost there.
  • Np hun. Wow ya ur almost there :) I wish I was lol but he will come when he's ready I've still got a ways to go. In the mean time I'll keep him cooking I want a well done baby lol.