**Government/Military Pay Shutdown**

2»

Comments

• We are in the military and also try to keep a good amount in savings just bc u never know. However, recently my brother was killed in a military event and we had to purchase two different sets a plane tickets last minute to the two locations having services for him, which nearly wiped out our entire savings! Luckily "we planned ahead" for this unfortunate event. But now we are back to trying to replenish our savings. so Some people on here are sensitive bc u don't know everyone's situation or what u are talking about.
    Also u don't know what peoples ranks are....geeze I could remember years ago when my husband was just starting and we didnt have any extra money. It's easy now to say why don't you save but when Ur trying to support a family on e3 pay there is no extra.
    Hang in there girls, I think it will all be fine and like my mom always tells me " it will all work out ...either way...it always works out...just don't stress it!!"
    Good luck
  • They have shut down military pay and gov pay before in the past..was only for 3 days. If it happens again I am sure would be along the same lines. Don't stress over it...we got babies in our bellys lol...relax:)
  • Their not doing it. N if they do my 1sg already said we won't work. They cant chapter the whole army. lol. no pay no work. I'm stationed at ft lewis. n that's what's being said about it around post.
  • We are a single income household and thankfully we have savings to fall back on as well.

Let me just say that if Obama doesnt start making a more visible effort to push this thru then I can guarentee that he will not be re-elected! The US military is already dissatisfied with his less then steller job and this would just set it over the edge!
  • Look myself and my husband are both in the navy I have been in for almost nine years, and he's rolling in on six. I am a mother of a three year old and preggers with my second child. So if I seem harsh or rude I apologize in advance. In reality this bill has been in the work for a while, and known about for a couple of months. Planning ahead at the possibility of it going through would have been a smart thing to do. However, for those that did not here is what you can start doing now.

1. Have your husband ask the what ifs to his chain of command. If they give him crap answers he has the right to go higher up, all the way to his commanding officer.

2. Start buying the MREs at the local commisarries.....is anything they can used during weather emergencies. Stock up on non-perishable foods.

3. START saving!! I can not be any more clear in this. If all u can put away is fifty bucks a paycheck theen do it. You have to think about these things! Don't ever become the victim in these scenarios. My husband and I have balanced and worked our budget to where we can put in $600 every paycheck. Did we have to give up certain things yes, but are we prepared for things like this absolutely.

4. If your husband is in the Navy or Marine corps. Then go to the Navy/Marine corp relief society on base and start talking to them about getting a loan. I am not sure If the army or airforce has this, but look into it.

5. DO NOT panick it gets you nowhere.

6. Just remember at the very least your medical for your child is covered and will not be a future bill.

You are all adults, and as sucky as this is you need to act like them and get your business handled. You should never be living paycheck to paycheck period. The only reason it should be happening is if you are putting extra money in your savings. In the future I would recommend those that are not budget savvy to take some of the FREE classes they offer on base. You can find information at your fleet and family services office. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
  • I apologize if I seemed harsh however I am tired of hearing spouses crying to me saying they live paycheck to paycheck. But yet they have an outrageously expensive car, always go out to eat, and then wear nothing but designer clothes and handbags. I just want to slap them and be like seriously this is where your money went. Ugh sry my pregnancy anger has a short fuse >.<
  • I doubt it will happen. Im currently active duty in the AF and we were told it was 95% NOT happening and that supposedly we ran out.of money at midnight on 17 march. They said it didn't happen. But I would start a savings just in case it does happen if you haven't already. Its the military though so things could always change that's what out jobs are
  • @iheartmykiddo. Na what u say I could care less... its what you don't see and understand that bothers me.. that's why even the upper class familys that have exspensive taste are having financial problems to right because they didn't save all the money they make... and ur right it may not happen... "but it could" are you even a military wife because for a military wife you sure don't understand or seem to even care... but if you are I'm sure it doesn't bother you that your husband is trying to risk his life for yours. This is me being blunt so don't take affence ...you straight up just don't seem grateful. We have other non military wives on this page that agree and feel for us.. then we have ppl like you that rely on there savings till its gone then try and rely on the Govnrment.. the reason why this is happining is because of the "economy " and the way ppl use there money... its okay tho one you might understand...
  • @mrs_mendoza2511 my heart is with you girl...I stopped responding because no one seems to understand where I was coming from like im a bad person because my husband and I live on like $700 every two weeks and DONT have a car note or "expensive" things. Hell I wish I could have a freaking designer bag. Just makes me so upset that certain people have such a crappy outlook on this. If I could delete this forum I would because I was trying to reach out to people that felt the same way not to people that were going to tell me how stupid I am for now saving all my money, of which we DONT have. But I am with you on everything you said.
  • @hayleegracesmommy4 yeah don't feel bad I'm not ashamed of saying that I don't work because I'm in my first flippin trimester and I get sick too much to even go to an interview they would know I was pregnant .. :( any way I'm. Lazy I eat sleep and puke llol and take care of this house and our dog. Anyway my husband is a E3 so he doesn't make much were struggling to and damn I wish I could work with out getting sick.. I feel bad so right now were living pretty much off of $500 and still trying to save. Don't feel bad .. Hahaha and girl everything we have ppl gave to us as far as out kitchen table and sofas my bedroom set was the only thing I had as far a fruniture.. lol
  • First of all, yes I am. A military spouse. Second of all we wouldn't be living off of his savings we would be living off of mine. I did this thing called college so I have a degree. I stood by my husband when he was an e3 and e4. I also don't have expensive taste, that's why I was able to save money. Im realistic and understand service members don't make that much so I don't expect my husband to buy anything. He has his money and does what he wants. Its people like you that think every military spouse feeds off of their husbands paycheck.
  • Don't listen to media on the tv or news. As a service member I think they would have informed myself and my husband. Plus the only thing that was changed was the post 911 bill and Montgomery gi bill. My advice, don't listen to the news. Its full of lies and its depressing. Ohh, there should be a support group for "military" wives for "q"'s like this. Try the sfac on base, if I have a issue I go there.. I hope that helps...
  • Thank you @jess8d and @kristaf22 :) I appreciate your positive feedback greatly!
  • @kristaf22 absolutely! Thank you for being sweet and understanding :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • It will :) I believe it will all be okay! I know how you feel hun! We will be okay.
  • Im active as well from my understanding its will be back pay militarybut not for DoD civilians
  • Im not a military spouse but I feel ya on living paycheck to paycheck my bf brings home around 250 370 a week and I wish we could save more but its hard as for luxury items once a month we use these awesome arbys coupons and go out to eat we don't have designer clothes I go to a free clothing center when we really need clothes the stuff I have bought for our baby girl has been from goodwill and savers except three outfits from walmart clearance
  • @almost4 "a-f *n men!!!!" Can't agree enough!!!!!!
  • @iheartmykiddo well good to know your a military spouse..so act like one.. and if you were in college then you would be "smart" enough to get a thing called a job... lol common sense you seem real immature to be acting like that. Anyway I was just giving my "opinion" hope your not affended ... there's a lady I told on here about how to look out for certain military wives... I hope she understands... any way good luck to all the new moms and expectant mommys ... <3
  • edited March 2011
    I am a military spouse and my husband joined last year. We honestly had nothing. We saved very little because we are providing for our 7 month old daughter and have our first home and own our very own car that is reliable. We live in a very small town were living isn't very expensive and struggling. I have looked into jobs but he prefers I stay home with our daughter. Yes we are expecting baby two not planned but it happened for a reason. So, the thought of no pay is stressful right now.