prenatal vitamins, which do u suggest?

edited April 2011 in Health
We're ttc since Jan and I've been taking a women's prenatal vitamin but as we were searching for preseed I went to Walmart & saw many different kinds of vits... so I'm wondering what my pregly girls take? And if your doctors have suggested any kind in particular? *needing some baby dust BC I feel at coming on... hoping soon we'll get our miracle! :) thanks girls!

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I Was prescribed Prenate Essential w/DHA. You'll probably need insurance for this one. I paid $25/bottle w/insurance. I really like it tho & their coated w/a vanilla flavor. They have never made me sick. If u go to prenateoffer.com you can download coupon for free co-pay for 3 mo (so its completely free).
  • My doc prescribed me OB complete 400 w/DHA.
  • edited April 2011
    I love Targets prental rx & they are on the $4 list! No side effects, sickness or constipation like I've gotten with other brands. Just read OTC labels carefully, some you have to take 2/day
  • I take womens one a day prenatal with the dha stuff too...one doc prescribed me a prenatal but my doc now says prescribed prenatals have extra iron in them a lot of times, and if your iron levels are fine, why take extra...it can actually work against you if ttc and constipate you (yuck)
  • So my doc said stick with over the counter!
  • The Prenate Essentials do not have extra iron. Most prescriptions I would trust more than over the counter. If a dr prescribed them they should know what's in them
  • I agree with @rodeoqueen13 the prenate essentials are awesome, but for over the counter I like the naturemade prenatal+dha. They're horse pills though, so if you're not a fan of swallowing pills then I wouldn't recommend them.
  • I just take the generic prenatals from target and they are great.
  • I take one a day's now and am working on getting my insurance taken care of this week. I don't have an ob out here so I'd like to continue taking over the counter for now... :) I take mine at night so I don't get sick or the chance of it LOL -i can have lower iron levels though. Hmmm
  • @rodeoqueen13 I'm pretty sure the first doc I went to knew what was in them. Its purely my obs opinion that otc are better because they do not have a whole lot of extra iron. And I did not say EVERY prenatal prescription had extra iron.
  • -maybe I need extra lol
  • You can find out with a blood test. They usually do that at your first ob appt but while ttc I guess you could go to a clinic and get a blood panel done to pinpoint what your missing out on, maybe that would help get your miracle here faster??:) its a thought anyhow!
  • @rockinmomma I wouldn't mind horse pills I'm pretty Good with them. I think I saw those this evening.. was wondering about them and if they Were any better than what I have already. It probably depends on who you ask I guess...
  • @tandtsbb you're probably right. With just getting insurance it might take a while to get my card and info... I might call to ask about a clinic test. I know a few yrs ago I was told I wasn't anemic but had lower iron and during af to take a multi vit at least... will check on that tho. Thanks!
  • They're the over the counter prenatals my doc recommends, but every dr, and every person have their personal favorites. Look for the ones with most folic acid you need at least 800mcg. The more the better tho especially when ttc.
  • Thank u, I didn't realize that as far as numbers go...
  • I take ones that my doc gave me a prescription for, it says "Prenatal Plus Amnea" on the bottle and they have given me no problems. I hear alot of people say they get sick from them but these don't seem to do that at all. :)
  • The fish oil supplement made me barf, stick to good ol target brand prenatal, dr said they're good as everything else. 200 for$ 8!
  • I got prescribed prenatabs and they are pretty cheap and help with the nausea a lot.
  • I bought mine from super supplements. Or any supplement store will do. Their called "dr. Green" and their jus reg prenatel vitamins. But they have a gel capsule which make them so easy to swallow and they help me with my morning sickness..
  • Oh and they are 20 bucks for a bottle of 250..
  • I got prescribed prenatabs and they are pretty cheap and help with the nausea a lot.
  • Prenatals are too big and make me so sick. My ob doc said it would be better for me to take two children's vitamins. I take two flinstone gummy vitamins a day. :))
  • My dr perscribed CitraNatal Assure, its a prenatal vit & a dha capsule, I love it, no sickness AND has a stool softener which I also love
  • I love One A Day ( Women's Prenatel Vitamins ). Its the only thing that doesn't break out my face. The pills the doctor gave me was so huge. Plus my face started breaking out. I heard that pregnant women can also take children's vitamins.