c section incision opening,red and smells(has this happened to anyone else?)

edited August 2011 in Health
Hi.so I had a c section on 8/4 dr took out staples 4days after b4 cleft hospital everything has been goin fine except the fact I can't rest and It started smelling. But the incision looked fine no redness,puss, wasn't open nothing just a smell.I thought mayb bc im overweight and its covered by my fat roll.well all day I've been in horrible pain having pinching pains which I guess is ripping pains bc it looks like its open on one side not alot but still open and adhere is now some red on the actuall incision that wasn't there b4.I check it once a day at night after my shower but its hard to see bc I need to hold a mirror and my fat roll and I can't look long bc I actually get nauseous.im really bad with stuff like this.it took me 3days after surgery to look bc it grossed me out so bad.the smell is soooooo bad now its between a decaying body and like rotten fish(im sry t.m.i) im going to call my dr 1st thing in morning but I wanted to know if this has happened to anyone else?

Comments

• I have had 2 csec and it hasnt happened to me. Is it warm to the touch around your incision? It sounds like it may be becoming infectious and please do call your dr. to be checked out!
  • Go to to er now none of what u said sounds good and i know there is not suppose to be any kind of smell
  • I would go to er too, that doesn't sound safe n may b getting infected, u do not, I repeat, u do not want that to get infected!!
  • Call your dr asap that doesn't sound too good :/
  • Sounds infected. Hope everytging is okay
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • That's sounds like an infection. It just hasn't reached the surface to pus yet. Please go to the ER. I think you need immediate attention to that.
  • edited August 2011
    That's exactly what happened to me :( I got some antibiotics and it cleared up. I would call your OB. I don't thing you need to go to the emergency room. Your doc should be able to handle it in the office.
  • dont call your doctor first thing in the morning. call NOW. If it looks like it's opening, even a little, this can turn into a serious complication that you dont want. also it is definitely infected if it smells that bad. you should be seen soon. I would go to ER if doctor isnt open, but call doctor first.
  • @Mindy061606 @Hupe23_1 @letysfirst @hopingboyy @maymommy11 @2BeForgotten @TishJ330 @Soon2BMomOf2under2 @cinnabon ....Thank You ladies for your help.I posted this and fell asleep.i suffer from migraines and i dont get them when pregnant but as soon as I give birth I get them.I've had one for 3days now:( when I woke up I called dr and she said to come in asap.she said it wasn't infected the smelll is bc after I shower I haven't been airing it out enough. She stuck a long qtip in the hole to make sure it wasn't infected.she said the redness was normal.I also need to start taking it easy.I haven't been resting or taking care of myself so now I really have to start.im goin to keep a very close eye on it just encase bc I don't fully trust it can't turn into an infection.
  • Good luck mama take lots of care!
  • Good luck. My belly after like hung over my incision so to keep it from getting infected and moist I would get toilet paper and lightly press it on it to pat it dry. I did this everytime I used the bathroom.
  • edited August 2011
    Yeah I say infection probably! I had two csections and never smelly. I did however have a very small opening I mentioned to my doc, I don't remember it hurting though., I just used some otc antibiotic. And I never had staples, only the dissolving stitches, idk y some doc n hospitals use staples? ?!? :O Cause after the dissolving stitches are put on after surgery, doc doesn't have to bother incision again accept for checking it.
  • Glad to hear it was nothing serious! I used to take a hair dryer on cool and dry it after showering. Hang in there! The next couple weeks will fly by, so it will be better before you know it...and take it easy Momma!
  • Oh sorry i see u updated ...lol I'm glad ur not infected either! ! Get some rest and try n take it easy!! :-)
  • You will feel some discomfort and burning sensation! Dr told me it was normal and its the healing process....
    When u shower, clean the are softly and and pat dry when ur out...
    Make sure ur undies are not bikini kind for now. It will irritate the incision. I had to go buy some brief kind they would fit over incision.
    Dont lift anything over 10lbs, NOT even baby in carseat!! Its double the weight on those carseats.... also, NOOOO sweeping, mopping, sqauting, lifting,noo sex!!
    Sorry if i sounded harsh, but i just gave u my restrictions by my dr..
    Uggjhh i just sounded like my dr...lol
    Good Luck!!
  • Please be careful and take it easy. You need to heal. Rest and relax. Update us when you can.
  • id make an appiontment to make sure its not infected
  • I had the exact same problem! Woke up one day to this horrid smell that I figured could be nothing but the smell of rotting flesh, I immediately called my dr and went in to get it checked out. Ended up that the terrible smell was from moisture and sweat. BEST ADVICE my wonderful doctor gave me was 1. Take your hair dryer after a shower and blow dry your incision to make sure it is completely dry 2. Sleep bare butt lol no pant or undies and let your incision air out all night 3. (The thing that saved me!) Buy cheapo, extremely basic maxi pads and place one over your incision every day. It will keep you incision nice and dry because you know you can't prevent sweat. After following those three steps I no longer had any smell whatsoever and now at 5 weeks pp my incision in completely closed and looks great! :)
  • Word of caution........my mother had a hysterectomy(sp?) Had the same issues you are and eventually it got infected, it never healed and she has a hole in her abdomen its really yucky! Now I may add my mother is a big lady, size 24 or 26 n the doc said it was bcuz of her size....she just had hip surgery n is having the same problem....so looks like she will have another hole in her body
  • With my daughter I did the maxi pad thing . I also needed pressure on it while sounds wierd but when I layed down (most of the few weeks after) I would roll up a towel and wrap my belly or use the boppy around me... I had a mentally bad recovery though so it could have been psycological. :D Maxi pad helped it stay dry though.
  • Glad to hear it was nothing bad ) take it easy hun ;)