Comments

• Wow..good to know! Thanx for sharing! :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited October 2011
    My mother use to let my little brother "cry it out"
    He now just started kindergarden & is getting skipped up to the 1st grade & testing on a 2nd grade level. The only reason they didnt skip him to 2nd grade is because they cant skip you up but one grade at a time.
    So I guess this is different for every baby & probably depends on how often you let your baby "cry it out". I would imagine too much of it would definantly cause distress but I dnt think that doing it occasionally will hurt anything.
  • I hate when I let elizabeth cry it out. Which is rare when I do. Usally when im very over whelmed(sp)
  • i started using a book that suggested letting the baby cry it out..to fall asleep...it was a nightmare...threw the book away and pick my son up almost every time he cries! within a weeks time he was sleeping twice as much as he had been before...now @ 3months he is the most content baby i have ever seen and he sleeps 12hrs straight at night!

my s-i-l swears by the book i threw out..her son is 15months old and STILL has to "cry it out"!!! to go to sleep!
  • Oh no! Was it a babywise book? @vanalkr
  • edited October 2011
    This method can be used if done correctly. At first, I would let my son cry/fuss for 30 seconds. Then go back in his room and reassure him and leave for another 30 seconds. He fell asleep after less than 5 mins. The next night I did 60 seconds, he fell asleep in about 2 minutes. On the third night, he went right to sleep. It's all about knowing when the baby is ready and capable of sleeping through the night. My son was sleeping through the night in the bassinet which is why I moved him to his crib at 2 months and taught him to fall asleep on his own. As long as the baby isn't hysterical, I don't see how a little fussing can harm him/her.
  • I tried everything with my son to get him to fall asleep without being held... In the end it took controlled crying to get him to go to sleep without assistance. I never just stuck him in his cot and left but did what @misskristin did but it took a bit longer and I didn't try it till he was 6 months old... I never let him get hysterical, cos thats just pointless you then spend forever settling bubs again. But now I have a 2yo thats virtually perfect at bedtime (or as good as it gets for a kid thst age lol) even in his big boy bed...