Baby's Weight

edited November 2011 in Babies Health
My two week old was born weighing 7 lbs 1 oz and when I took him in for his check up he weighed 6 lbs 10 oz. The doctor said it's normal that the baby loses 10% of his weight but should be back to his birth weight by two weeks. I know my baby isn't too far from his birth weight but should I be concerned because I'm breast feeding and I always assumed breastfed babies gained weight quicker.

Comments

• No not at all, I breastfed Kaylee for 2 weeks and she lost weight too....but now she she gets formula and rice cereal and she is really gaining!!
  • Its normal, dont be concerned unless your babys dr is. For comfort you can buy a baby scaale & weigh ONCE a week & chart it.
  • If the Pedi wasn't concerned I wouldn't worry too much but I think (not 100% though) that if they don't gain it by one month then supplementing with formula is recommended. :/
  • edited November 2011
    @Tootie08 Did you stop breastfeeding and switch to formula?

@caroline8_p Yes the doctor didn't make a big deal about it. Just asked me about my milk supply and I honestly don't know seems like it is fine...Where can you get a baby scale at?

@stbmilitrybrat I agree. I'm going to completely pay attention to his weight gain over the next two weeks and if he isn't gaining then I know formula will be the best thing for him.
  • Its true..they normally do lose weight before they gain. Thats even for breastfed babies. My lo gained 5oz at his 1 week appt & I was suprised because I know most babies lose weight first.
  • @LoveBeingMommy Yes but the only reason I stopped breastfeeding was because my milk dried up....I completely lost my appetite so I think that was the cause. Kay bear will be four months next week and her pediatrician is always amazed at how much weight she gains. Don't worry your lo will be just fine!
  • target.com and walmart.com has scales or check out a medical equipment store
  • my doctor told my usually by the four week check up babies are back up to their birth weight... im bottle feeding my son... he was 6lbs 10 oz when he was born... and at a month old he was weighed and weighed in at 9lbs 13 oz!! he just eats too much lol
  • My son was 7 14 at birth at 2 weeks he was 8 4 and on tues he was 9 1.5 and he is breast feed. He left the hospital at 7 6 btw.