Is water ok?

edited December 2011 in Babies
So I know its okay to give baby water every now and then but can I give it to my lo once a day. She is 7weeks. Ive been trying for 3 weeks to get her on a bottle but shes not having it. Tonight I finally thought maybe if I put something besides my bm in the bottle then she will drink it. Well idk how long her taking the bottle will last. But I was wondering if she keeps it up..can I give her water once a day until she gets use to the bottle?
@homebirthadvocate do you know?

Comments

• Bm has 88% water I personally wouldn't recommend it (the lc in me lol) but if you're comfortable I wouldn't do more than an ounce or 2
  • I don't think you can I know they do not need water until they are a year old!
  • I think a few swigs wouldn't hurt. No more than an ounce a day I would say. At 7 weeks, my pediatrician said baby shouldn't really be eating more than about 3 ounces a feeding, so just be careful. I would definitely let her try some water though. Anything at this point, right?! Stubborn baby LOL.
  • Well I guess that's a no go. Thought I was on to something. :(
  • They can get water intoxication super easy because they are so small. If you have too, and I read your other post, so I know you do, you can do 1 - 2 oz a day. Less is better.
  • I just made a post on water intoxication the other day :)
  • I agree no water! It can be bad for them. I couldn't comment on this post so I posted with your other post. It came back a Bonk when I tried to comment. I never gave all 4 of my kids water until about a year or so.
  • Talked to pediatrician yesterday. She said 1-2oz a day is ok. They just don't recommend it if the baby is under a month old.
  • Depends on the doctor my doc encourages it
  • Great article from johns Hopkins that I found when I was wondering the same thing...

http://www.hopkinschildrens.org/newsDetail.aspx?id=4844
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @bonita85 how old is your lo?
  • @preggointx I'm so confused. lol
  • I was told 1-2 oz is fine but no more then that.

Hope she takes a bottle soon!
  • edited December 2011
    I gave both of my little girls 1-2 oz a day of water after they turned a month old. Thier doc said it was fine, just nomore then 2. They are now 2 & 4 and are perfectly healthy & loveee water..lol
  • She is now a healthy 3 1/2 month old. They told me at her 2 month appointment that it was ok. I still don't give it to her everyday. But I do give it to her a few times a week