vitamin D

edited January 2012 in Pregnant
So i read something my son doc gave me saying that if they child isnt drinking enough formula and/or breast milk that we should give them vitamin D, but how wouls you to a baby? Are there pills or liquid???

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @rileyandme well i live in AK and the sun isnt out much lol
  • Im bf and wic was the one who tld me about it, its vit d liquid, they said all bf mothers shld give to their babys, im not sure how true that is, its only what i was told. I asked my pedi and she said since my baby was born at the end of september (9/30) it wld be a good idea since its getting cold nd he probably wont b outside too much.
  • @mommys1stlove do you kno whats the name?
  • edited January 2012
    @jay_july1 its Tri.Vi.Sol u can do the vit d or vit a,c & d but dont get the purple one (thats what pedi & wic tld me, i forgot y)
  • @mommys1stlove thanks cus i kno i have to take vitamin D pills because the sun here is a no show most days in the winter lol
  • I ebf and have been giving my lo vit. D since she was 2 months because her pediatrician highly recommended it, and we live in Az. She will be 6 mo in a few days. You give it to them in liquid form. 1ml to be exact. She seems to like it or is just used to it.
  • They have drops. My sons Dr said breastfed babies need it most. I tried but it upset my babysit tummy, so I stopped. His Dr said it can do that. But yea, they can get vitamin D from the sun also and we go outside everyday for a little while
  • I found an organic drop made by childlife. The doc told me to apply it to my breast and baby gets it that way
  • my pedi convinced my husband that our son needed it.
    Well it gave our son tummy aches so I put my foot down and stopped.
    He is ebf and I make sure to take my pills and eat a healthy diet
  • @sands3 @littlefae was it tue organic one? The drops? I just kno my son might need some and the sun doesnt come out much here and when it does its very cold. Hes just getn over a sickness so idk bout takn him out right now.

@doodles could you put it on a bottle nipple as well? Which one you use??
  • Jay_July1 no I don't think it was, and since I bf I know now after doing research that he gets what he needs from me. I just make sure to have a healthy diet and take my vitamins. Also, durring the day the window blinds are open so even being up north he gets the sunlight he needs.
  • I think I used the Emfimil kind. You can add it to a bottle
  • What does it do?
  • @littlefae okay well i dont breastfeed and my son doesnt drink formula that much cuz he doesnt like like it and my blinds are open too but the sun doesnt come out in winter.
    @sands3 okay thanks
    @MIMII36 its vitamins they need and my son isnt drinking enough formula
  • I mean need for what? What does it help?
  • If you live in Washington or Oregon vit d is recommended for anyone anyways because of lack of sun. Just thought id ads by 2 cents. ;)
  • The Pedi office I go to gave me a prescription for vitamin d drops for my daughter while we were still in the hospital.
  • @samantha they should do it here too. Im in ak
    @mrs_jones i didnt kno they could, ima ask my pedi
    @mimii36 healthy bones and that stuff
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Jay_july1 you should be able to put it in the bottle. Its more of an oily substance rather than watery. I don't think it matters if its in formula
  • @Mom2ING I mean this with the utmost respect and Im not trying to start anything. Let's just say Im playing devils advocate. But if what you just said were true then ppl should stop bfing and should formula feed cuz bfing doesn't have enough supplements that formula has? Something doesn't sound right. I could totally be wrong, Im running on very limited sleep. I noticed no one from the other post about how Vit D supplements are not needed haven't posted on here. But whose to blame someone for making their child healthy, right?
  • ya vit d supplements are generally not needed...but whatever you choose is fine...who am i as an lc to argue with a doc lol.
    and there are over 100 things in breastmilk that cannot be replicated into formula fyi :)
  • Vitamin D is not in breastmilk. However like another poster said you get it easily from being in the sun for short periods. Its January and freezing cold in many places so that may not be an option. Our pediatrician wrote down 2 different vitamin D "supplements" and interestingly enough my mother knew of both (I could barely read what the dr wrote lol) because she had given it to us as babies (I'm 34 so clearly this is not a new thing).

What the pediatrician said was can help babies bones (obviously a good thing if the climate and season aren't conducive to going out). She then went on to tell us a case where she advised a mother to give vitamin D drops to her infant, the mom didn't, somehow the baby had a break or fracture and cps removed the baby until the grandmother remembered what the dr had said..testing was done and it was determined it was due to a deficiency not abuse. I'm sure that's a worst case scenario and not a common occurrence. Like most things you should do your own research and decide what's best for your baby.
  • @mrs_shu there are small amounts of vit d in bm. :) mamas body stores it throughout pregnancy and after for bm from her diet, supplements, or sun.
    in extreme cases like you mentioned, then yes its needed. it helps prevent rickets of course.
  • my apologies if it seems like im arguing:)
  • @mom2ingmy son isnt drinking enough formula as he should be and im worried but the doc saod hes doing well i just want to make sure he getin his vitamins.
  • Just a little FYI you can have too much vitamins. Also you don't need to go outside to get sun just sit near a window. Babies store up Vit D while in the room that generally runs out around 6 mos when most babies get solids. Besides all that think about how amazing bm is, its literally alive. It changes to suit your babies evey need, even changing over the course of 24 hrs. With all this why would it lack one vitamin, maybe bc babies don't need it.