Would you let your little boy....

Play with dolls?? My neighbor has a lil boy that is about 4 or 5 and one day they were coming back from wherever and they said hi! I turned around said hi to the parents the lil boy said hi, I looked down and there was the doll lol I did not know what to think! However, this was not a first I've worked at a daycare b4 and I have seen a lil boy who parents bought him dolls he was much smaller. Honestly it bothered me b/c #1 it's so taboo #2 the other kids are like HE HAS A DOLL THAT'S FOR GIRLS! What do you say no they aren't for girls...lol! (Teasing is not accepptable no matter the case but that's how I felt) Anyway I would not allow my son to play with dolls to me they are for little girls which he is not. Would anyone else buy or allow their son to play with dolls? Why or why not?

Comments

• I won't but them for him but if we go to a friend/family members house and they have a daughter, and Bentley plays without her dolls, not really a big deal to me.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I would not buy my son a doll but when they r really small a toy is a toy. I dont see why it would bother you, its the child and parents choice imo.
  • I heard that letting boys play pretend with baby dolls will help them be better fathers.

Im not gona buy my son a doll but I wouldn't get mad if he happened to pick one up on a rare occasion. He tried to take his baby sisters cabbage patch doll out of the package once. My initial reaction and gut instinct was just that he was curious.

My boy cousins always wanted to play with their older sis's Barbies when they were little so my aunt bought them GI Joes and Ken Dolls.
  • No, I'd never buy my son any type of dolls. And if I ever did my hubby would burn them.lol Dolls are for girls not boys. But that's just my opinion.
  • I wouldn't buy him a doll, but if he was somewhere and he wanted to play with one that would be ok.
  • My step mom let my brother play with a doll while I was prego and now he is so good with my baby.. I would let my son play with one like @vtmamajuju said it teaches them to be good dads.. I watch a 3year old and he is great with my baby..and he plays with dolls all three time
  • I would and have bought my son a doll. He's pretty disinterested now but I wouldn't say he couldn't have it because it is for a specific gender.
  • edited January 2012
    I have a dd who is almost 3 and ds who is 3 months. I wouldnt go out and buy him a doll. But I am sure he will play with them because of his sister.

It's hard for kids to undertand what and why somethings are "made" for boys only or girls only. I think society in general wouldnt bat an eyelash at a girl with a "boy" toy, but the reverse is considered inappropriate.
  • I wouldn't buy it for him, cause dolls scare me lol, but if he wanted one, who cares? My sister is a lesbian, and is pretty passionate about destroying stereotypes, and her passion has really opened my eyes on a lot of things. I think that not letting boys play with dolls or girls play with trucksjust because of their gender is sexist but that's my opinion.
  • @juliansmommy lmao, Jose would do the same. Mexican men lol!
  • @excitedforoctober- gotta love our traditional Mexican men...haha
  • Agreed with @juliansmommy. My husband would be like WTF lmao [-(
  • edited January 2012
    @Excitedforoctober I stated why it bothered ME! It doesn't make me angry I just feel weird and confused that's why I said "bothered". And fyi of course its the parent's choice I asked a question and stated what I thought about it for MY child. Its taboo but everything is changing now a days we have princess boys so I wanted to know?!
  • I would not allow my son play with dolls because dolls are for girls, there are always ways to teach little boys to be sensitive and caring. Just my opinion
  • Lmao...snappy snappy...well YOU asked for OUR opinions so I gave you MY opinion OK?!
  • I wouldn't buy them.. but I am a mother of two girls. And my 2 yr old loves toy cars..I don't snap on her or anything. I let her play since kids don't know better
  • @ExcitedForOctober yes I want ALL opinions regardless I'm not trying to be rude I just wanted to make it clear that I'm not mad for the one's who do it I just want to understand. And this is text maybe I just didn't get where you were coming from with the I don't see why u bothers comment.
  • @vtmamajuju I never thought about that!
  • I would give my son a doll whats the nig deal? Do you think playing with a doll will make him gay???
  • @everyone I understand that if u have girls your son will play with dolls every dude with a sister has probably played with dolls. But what if there aren't any girls in the house and your son cries for a doll would you buy it?
  • I won't buy my sons dolls but he plays with my daughters all the time. My husband freaks out. He also plays with a purse (change purse) my husband doesn't like it because he says it will make him gay (no offense to anyone that is) but imo the more you forbid or make something seem wrong the more they will want to do it. I think kids should be kids, would I get mad about my daughter playing with cars, no so it goes both ways for me. I think there are benefits on both sides, boys need to learn how to nurture and girls need to learn that its ok to not be a priss all of the time:)
  • @Kindell no I believe that if he is going to be gay he will be gay regardless. My brother played with trucks and he is gay! Dolls are made for girls I feel like if I allow him to play with dolls and him carry dolls he's going to be like wtf when he get older and understands the difference! I want to teach him there is a difference and let him choose when he can fully comprehend.
  • The boys in my daycare dress up in princess dresses all the time! And they are 3&4 yrs old! They even wear the shoes lol. I don't see anything wrong with kids playing with the opposite sex themed toys. Their imaginations are going crazy with ideas around that age and who are we to stop them! Idk jmo :)
  • I wouldn't buy them for him, but if we wanted to play with a doll then I will let him play with it.

@hot2cold87 would you buy your daughter toy cars if she wanted them? Not causing drama, just opening up the other side of the argument.
  • @CAllen they make those for girls but I understand your point I would be more open to buying my little girl a boy toy than vice versus. Double standard I know but this is the would we live in. I mean would you want your husband to wear a dress? In a perfect world these things wouldn't matter. I'm teaching my baby from things I know he might not know that there's a difference but I do, you do, she do, he do, they do so why wouldn't I teach him that?
  • @CAllen and I don't think you causing drama this is great :)!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @ArmahnisMommy yea kids n some adults can be cruel!
  • I have friends that bought their son's baby dolls while they were pregnant and the boys loved it. It helped alot and they boys were wonderful with the babies when they were born and never played with the dolls again.
    I think playing is learning so my son can play with whatever he wants. He was attached to one of his ss dolls for a couple weeks and then moved onto something else. I told him it belonged to his ss so he knew it was a girl's toy but he liked it anyway. If he wanted me to buy one I would. What if my son was gay and I didn't allow these things and eventually he felt he couldn't come to me about it because he knew I would disapprove... Just a thought...