Kony2012= SCAM

edited March 2012 in Current Events
If I see one more post of FB share about the Kony youtube video about Kony2012, I'm going to scream. SCAM SCAM SCAM, do your research people! The charity organization in charge of this youtube video spreading like wildfire is NOT legitimate. Yes, Kony is real and a horrible man. However, this happened over 20 years ago and he has not even BEEN in Uganda for over six years. The US has already sent their help...there isn't anything to be "spreading". The whole POINT to spreading the word is to get the US to help, which they have already done. This happens in different countries around the world daily.

Vent over.

Comments

• I know...I looked it up when it popped up on here and immediately saw too many redflags. By 5 pm, it was all over my Fb feed.
  • ~X(

I am amazed that people would watch a youtube video and immediately jump all over it. When the first publicity it gets it from a youtube video and celebrity twitter, there should be some red flags there in your mind immediately.

I am disgusted that a charity organization would jump on such a horrible thing just to make a profit out of it....but I guess it happens everyday!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • That is a red flag, I'm sorry. 8 million dollars and only 32 percent goes to the actual cause? That's frightening.
  • edited March 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I read on CNN that they've been accused of exaggerating a lot of stuff. Not to say he isn't a bad person, but I'm very skeptical of this whole thing. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. I think there's a bigger picture somewhere in this, but just can't find it. I really believe in my gut instinct, and my guts telling me something isn't right.
  • No, it isn't enough when the charities give the money to the government which is guilty of many of the same atrocities.

Regardless, I'm not saying every penny isn't worth while to help in the fight against the atrocies Ugandan youth and population face.
  • Unless my funds are being donated 100%, they're not getting my money. Yeah, it's sad what's going on, but I would rather donate for my own countries poverty stricken children. Just my $0.02.
  • @armahnismommy, they are not accredited by the BBB. Therefore, they are NOT a legit charity corporation. Point blank.

The US has already sent their aid. What else do people want? There are war criminals in every country. It is NOT America's job to police the world. Yes, this is a horrible man. Yes, he needs to be caught. The fact of the matter is that we need to stop helping every other country but our OWN. The entire purpose of this is to get a public outcry, have people write to their congressmen and senators to show support for occupying yet ANOTHER country. We already have military presence in 230+ countries now. Trying to save the world is destroying us.

And if you do your research, you will see that what @outlaw_sphinx is saying is true. This "charity" gives money to the government guilty of the same outrageous crimes. They donate almost nothing to the country's aid and have open investigations while the "owners" pocket hundreds of thousands of dollars.

If you want to support the movement, that's fine. Support it. Just don't advertise a false charity with a get rich quick scheme. It's disgusting.
  • edited March 2012

• edited March 2012
    @bonita85, lol. Go ahead and spend money on websites and organizations that aren't verified by BBB. When your identity is stolen and you have a hundred thousand dollar car purchased in your name, you'll be hating life. The BBB isn't perfect, but Invisible Children is a crock of crap. The BBB isn't the only thing against them.
  • We are in over 230 countries @armahnismommy. Yes, he should be caught, but US sent troops last year. What more do you want, when the US sent troops and are working on it?! This man has been inactive for over five years. They don't even believe him to be ALIVE right now.

This has been going on for twenty-six years, but we are just now facebooking it? It is a money scheme, plain and simple. Buy into it if you want. I sure as hell won't.

I am going to go eat my yummy ice cream now while children are out there starving in Africa.
  • I just posted because BBB doesn't mean a company or charity is legit.
  • edited March 2012
  • Oh and I do think that charity is a bunch of garbage
  • edited March 2012
  • Lmao, that's the only argument you have? That facebook wasn't around? Myspace was. AOL was, social networking was. My using the word "facebook" was relative.

No, all shouldn't be "forgotten", but you keep side-stepping the fact that US troops are already involved. I am saying that we should move on with our day to day and help our own suffering citizens before sending more foreign aid.

And by god, stop posting up Invisible Children's charity organization to get more people to flush their money down the drain.

You want to spread awareness @armahnismommy, go ahead. Go to the store, buy some T-shirt and write his name on them. Go buy some beads and make a bracelet. Unless you're writing your congressman, senator, participating in rally's and protests, you're not accomplishing a thing.
  • Yes, and the ice cream is absolutely amazing.

8->
  • Wow the comment about eating ice cream while children starve in Africa is completely uncalled for....but it's what I have come to expect from you.
  • I understand completely, you're absolutely right @ashley_smashley.

I am wrapping up my ice cream in a paper bag right now and I'll mail it first thing in the morning. Do you have the address for Africa? And, oh, do you think it will make it there okay?

• @captivated to most you said, *like*. ;)

And now a general statement...It's good to look at all angles of an argument. Research all sides if you're that passionate about a cause. I am, in NO WAY, a PC person and my mouth will get me into trouble if i don't reign it in. That being said: can't we all just get along? Haha
  • Darn, it melted already.

Maybe next time :)

• This is why I only donate my time, I've been to Mexico to build houses for tge homeless and have left clothing, shoes, and other items for tge children. When you are there and can see the problems and help them first hand its harder but it def gives peace of mind that your hard work is worth it. We did in fact raise tge money to build those houses but we gave them the tools they needed to start off a new life. Even locally I've seen people on the street with signs "will work for food" most people driving by just hand them change. But I once saw a man go over to McDonalds right across the street and in fact buy this man with the sign food. He came back gave it to him and drove off. The guy with the sign, that stated he needed food, threw the bag in the trash...so sometimes its very hard to accept that people are legitimately needing help. Thru the internet it can be so easy to fake pictures and scam people. Which then makes people not want to help in the future.
    I would say if you can't get out there to help, make sure donations go to a well known charitable organization.
  • @kristaf22, I agree.

Anyways, the intention of this post was to make everyone aware that the Invisible Children foundation is not a legitimate charity and to spend your money and time elsewhere. I do not support the cause, but if people want to, that is their prerogative.

Simple as that.

I don't jump on bandwagons. I enjoy being educated and politically incorrect. Sorry that my personality isn't for everyone. :)>-