When was your baby ready for baby food?

I have tried on a few different occasions to feed baby food to my almost 5mo old and he is NOT having it! He will not open his mouth for me and makes funny faces when he tastes it...

Should I not try until I see those "signs" that he is ready for it?

Comments

• this is one of those topics that people have very strong feelings on lol. I think once u feel that they are ready...that is when it's ok! but at 5 months I wouldn't be worried if he's not interested! ik w my son it takes him awhile to taste the food before he starts opening his mouth. so I just let him taste it on his lips for a bit and then he opens wide for me! but dont force him...he will when he's ready!
  • Malia is 6.5 mo.. i dont feed her food often.
  • edited March 2012
    Nyla started four months she will make funny faces til this day but will open her mouth up to the spoon. She loves bananas & sweet potatoes. Nyla finishes the whole container sometimes.
  • Maddox is 4 months and has cereal mixed with breastmilk. He opens for every bite...but I totally agree with @crystaldawn0830 when baby is ready...just continue tempting him with it but as long as he is getting enough formula or breastmilk he will be fine. The milk is where they will get most of their needs until 1.
  • There is no magical age when they're ready lol. My kids were never ready until 7-8 months and that's OK, food is just for fun to teach them until they are 1. You will know when he's ready, watching you eat or grabbing your food lol :)
  • edited March 2012
    My daughter watches me eat and grabs for our food all the time and will get upset if we don't share(which we dont) but for some reason when we feed her baby food she rarely ever opens her mouth. She will open it just a little so I have to slide the food in or make her smile so she will open up. But once it's in her mouth she will eat it. I only feed her like every other day tho and she only eats about a third of the jar.
  • Like @mimii36 said :) When your baby begins showing an interest in your food is a good time to try and introduce solids. It takes some practice for them to adjust to the use of a spoon.

If your baby hasn't shown those signs you can try again in a couple of weeks or when baby shows that he is ready. No need to rush because it's perfectly normal at his age. Solids aren't necessary for the first year anyways. He has plenty of time to learn. :)
  • @captivated I just realized how many mistakes I had in that post. Glad you were able to understand it. Lol
  • I didn't see very many mistakes! It was perfectly legible. Especially compared to some of the other posts on here! :p

@mimii36
  • My first son was about 4 months, but he was interested in food. He watched us eat and would "pretend" to chew as he watched us, like he was practicing. Thats when I knew he was ready to at least try. If you try to feed them, & they continue.to push the spoon out with their tongue, then they probably need a little more time before they are truly ready. Its not abnormal for a 5 month old to not be ready for solids though. Just keep trying every so often :)
  • U have to keep at it I started at 4 months and he hated food I kept trying without forcing and around 5 months he started really enjoying it
  • Thanks ladies!! I am going to wait a bit more until I think he is really ready, don't wanna force it on him to the point where I'm gonna cause him never to want to ear it.

His ped had told me to first start with cereal than once he gets the hang of it move to baby food but he HATED the cereal...has everyone started with cereal?

@preggointx
  • We did...probably wont start veggies till closer to 6 months
  • @excitedforoctober right when she turned 4 months I spoon fed my daughter apple baby food and she loved it.

I knew to try that first because I would let her taste whatever fruit I was eating and she really liked apple. (Hated pineapple!) I skipped cereal and just went with what felt right.
  • What kind of foods are u trying to feed? My son is 4 months and did very well with every food i had him try.(been feeding baby food since 3 months) Now though he doesnt like most foods he use to like bc his sour taste buds are forming the dr said....so i just add wheat cereal and a little formula. He still makes funny faces...if he doesnt open his mouth i try putting some on my finger then putting that in his mouth....he seems much more interested after that
  • @grantsgirl88 so far I have tried prunes, squash and sweet potatoes.
  • I did cereal but my son did terrible on it. he would be so constipated and cry non stop. I am not a fan of cereals and u can skip them. drs just recommend starting with it bc it is a low allergen.

look at the website www.wholesomebabyfood.com it has a lot of good info.
  • I did oatmeal cereal because she hated rice but I added it to her bottle. Even tho they say bout to do that. My daughter never has any problem with choking. But she loved the cereal in her bottle. The first time I gave it she drank 2 extra ounces. But since she's been teething I've stopped giving it to her because she doesn't eat very well. I rather her eat more.
  • I skipped the cereal too.
    I can't wait until my lo is ready for food but she is only 4 1/2 mo. And shows no interest. :)
  • Have yall tried mixed grain whole wheat....dr recommended to unconstipate babies.
  • Each kid is different. I just go by when they start being interested when you eat. Like reaching for the fork or watching you eat and opening their mouth.
  • i just started my bbygirl on oatmeal & she loved it :) oatmeal has the most nutrients if you match up the side of the box im no expert tho.. she gobbles it down & nowwhen she sees a bowl she smacks her lips & reaches for it. even if its not hers
  • My baby hated cereal he likes oatmeal now but at first I couldn't pay him to eat it.....try avacados mixed with formula or bm