teething tablets and belladonna

edited March 2012 in Babies Health
I use teething tablets for my 5 month old. I had one of my daycare parents tell me today her dr doesnt reccommend natural remedies like gripe water and teething tabs because they contain bella donna. She said bella donna has been known to cause babies to stop breathing in their sleep. I googled it and read what all bella donna is used for and reactions to it. Hyland actually recalled their tablets in 2010 after parents complained their children had adverse reactions to them. Hyland stands by using the ingredient saying its such a small amount that its safe....
So heres my question. Has anyone had their pediatrician advise against using them or know of a child who has had a bad reaction to them? Sometimes they are the only thing that helps Maddox to be relieved from the pain.

Comments

• Interesting I'm going to ask naliyahs pedi at her checkup
  • I'd like to know this also. I bought some, gave her 2, then realized they contained belladonna so I haven't given her any since. Sorry I'm no help but here's a bump anyway.
  • I am waiting for my peds office to call back. The nurse said she had never had anyone ask before.
    @newmomma13 & @drgon2o523
  • Yea cause I use gripe water and tablets alot
  • They have the tablets that are Bella donna free, but I didn't know what that was so I got the hylands because that's what everyone recommended. Now I'm scared!!!
  • LOL regular pedis aren't trained in natural remedies like a holistic doc is. Don't let that scare you.
  • @newmomma13 I looked and my gripe water doesn't have it listed as bella donna or any of its other names. You might just look at yours and see what ingredients it has. Google unknown ones.
    @starxoxo9 do you know what the brand is without the bella donna? And try not to freak out...I think its important for us to know and then use that knowledge to make decisions. I am worried too but just want to know whats safe for my son.
  • I'm not sure what the brand was, they were in a pink box right by the hylands stuff at walgreens.

@Bahamamama4828 so you think they're ok??
  • Yes they are fine...I would be more worried about the Tylenol or the lotions that you use bc of their additives that have been shown to cause cancer
  • ^^^agreed. A regular doc makes money thru western medicine how can they if you are out getting natural stuff
  • edited March 2012
    The natural stuff also doesn't have to make the kidneys/liver work hard by filtering it like reg meds do.
  • Ok my ped just called back and he said no to teething tabs. He said the risk with the teething tabs are too great. He does not believe in tylenol being overused but said it is safer than the bella donna. I am not trying to start anything about western medicine vs natural remedies. My dr reccommends a lot of natural remedies so there must be a reason he is saying no to the teething tablets.
  • edited March 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thanks for the link @rileyandme
  • Omg! My baby kept gasping for air in her sleep last night and it was scaring the shit outta me! NO MORE HYLANDS FOR ME!
  • Belladonna is a poisonous herb, also known as deadly nightshade. I knew someone who grew it, his dog ate a leaf and almost died. I would NOT reccomend it for babies or children.
  • Scary I use hylands rarely but am not going to use them no more . I just checked my gripe water and it doesn't have belladonna on it

@wyattsmommy what is the brand name of tables you have
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • My gosh! I was goung to get some tomorrow, now Ii will look into something else.
  • no use HBA....
  • @homebirthadvocate I understand what you're saying. I wouldn't totally write it off but my daughter was seriously gasping for air about 4 times last night in her sleep. And she had teething tablets and gripe water. I'm not sure if it was the cause but I'd rather be safe than sorry and just buy another brand.
  • Wats another brand I use these tablets every day and with out them idk wat eles & by the way I believe my son has gasping for air also I always wonder y he was doing that ftm so thought babies just do that @mimii36
  • Wtf why wouldn't they pull this stuff from the shelf if it was bad ?? I've never used the tablets but my son has used gripe water since he was born...
  • My pedi advised against them but didn't give a reason...but I also didn't ask why.
  • @roxy orajel also makes teething tablets.

My pedi said they also don't recommend orajels bc of the main ingredient binds to the hemoglobin on the red blood cells and reduces oxygenation...the ingredient begins with a b can't remember what specifically it is...
  • Oh and the orajel ones contain belladonna too, I believe @roxy I don't use them or the hyland's.
  • edited March 2012
    @roxy Idk but I'm going to find out so I can switch. And my daughters pack n play is all the way across the room and I had the tv on and I clearly heard her struggling to breathe. This happened a few times that night. It even woke her daddy up once and he jumped up to check on her. Idk if this was the cause but I'm stoppning just to be safe.
  • @ashleysmashley just because I am curious...what do you mean by "no use hba?"
    @everyone else I hope that I did not freak anyone out...I just felt that it was important to bring to everyones attention. I think as parents we each have to make our own decisions...and to do so with as much knowledge and research as possible.
  • Ok the new hylands contains 0.0000000000003% belladonna alkaloids per tablet (which is aprox 65mg) total so that means there is only 0.0000000000195 mg of belladonna per tablet. An overdose for an infant is 0.2 to 5mg so for the minimum dose a baby would need to consume is 10,300,000,000 tablets or 82 million containers of 125.... Now there is always special cases or hypersensitivity but there is a minimal chance of that to happen. This herb is used for many treatments and is consitered safe by the fda in monitered incraments.