Switching from formula to whole milk..

edited April 2012 in Food
Just wondering if anyone has any tips on switching jace from formula to whole milk.. he's 8 1/2 months so I know it's a lil to early right now but I'm just interested in tips for when that time comes... also, why wait until a year old? I mean what could happen if you start milk early?

Comments

• In my family we've always switched around 10months.
  • Is a breastfeed baby gona b the same tips I wonder
  • Do you guys know what kind of milk to give them? (Whole, 1%, 2%, soy, low fat..idk anymore kinds of milk lol)
  • I would suggest either low fat milk or 1% it's alot healthier. ;;)
  • Yes I was wondering the same thing , my daughter is 11 months , and idk if I have to wait for her 12month check up to get an ok from her pedi or should I swich her now lil by lil , maybe 2 bottles of milk instead of formula a day? Idk I need tips 2
  • I have always heard its whole milk until 2 @aishamusa but I could be wrong.
  • edited April 2012
    My brothers a pediatrician and he says whole milk. They need the fat and calories. :)
  • The reason babies are not supposed to have cow's milk until they are a year old is because their tummies can't digest the proteins in it. Then, they are supposed to have whole milk until they are 2. They need the extra fats, etc. from the whole milk. With my oldest son, my pediatrician recommended mixing an ounce of whole milk with his formula for a couple days, then slowly increase it. I have also heard of other parents introducing it through cheese or by putting a little bit of whole milk into the babies cereal, etc. Starting them to early can cause constipation also. Hope this helps.
  • Our doc says almond or coconut milk :)
  • @mimii36 Well they suggest whole milk if they think the baby is under weight. But i was always told whole milk is never a good source of dairy nutrition for anyone even babies unless they need to gain weight. But I don't have a kid yet, this is only from my experience and from what i hear. ;-)
  • My son is 7 months and weighs 21lbs is that normal?
  • edited April 2012
    This is from babycenter.com:

Why full fat?
    Full-fat or whole cow's milk is essential for your baby because she needs the energy that the fat in milk provides. Fat also carries essential vitamins A and D, so by skimming the fat off the milk, the vitamins are reduced, too. You should give your baby full-fat milk until she is at least two years old.

• Yeah, whole milk is suggested starting at 12 months. It is NOT just for underweight babies. All babies should have this. They all are growing and need the calories. I will be starting at 12 months per my pediatrician.
  • I've given jace about a cup of whole milk to see how he would do and no issues whatsoever!! I plan on switching him over by ten months.. I plan on doing half formula and half whole milk for a few days and slowly adding more milk and less formula..
  • Wic told me at 11 months start adding like half milk half formula to his cups/bottle
  • @chels my son is 6 months, weighs 20.9
  • edited April 2012
    @bahamamama4828, we won't be using any cow's milk either :)
  • Yep whole milk till age 2
  • I just did.this my son is 13mo and we got him started on milk now it was a sucess I started to do half and half he didn't even notice! And now he is a successful milk drinker LOL but docs and wic told me at a year too
  • edited April 2012
    Whole milk starting at one until 2. Ask your pediatrician about starting early!
    @aishamusa thats crazy you were told that! I work in a day care and it required by state for us to give them all whole milk until 2!
  • No milk here, or soy milk. Lil dude has allergies. I might try almond or coconut when he is about a year and a half depending. In the mean time ill be breastfeeding.
  • I wanna try the toddler formula. Definitely coconut milk if that doesn't work out.
  • @Fate the toddler formula worked great for my 2 toddlers
  • @Mrz_Jackson Thank you, mama!
  • @BabyLuv8 I have to many crazy people around, it's hard to learn the truth from a lie.

@2ndbutfirst Thanks that's very beneficial.
  • No cows milk for us either! I love coconut milk tho...so that will be on the agenda for My little hunky dunky!
  • This is good advice ill keep thus in mind... why are some of you ladies not doing cow milk?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.