Had my "little" man!!*another update :(*

Comments

• Thank you @thetrondsons1st :) you and fate have helped me settle my worries
  • Awe Congrats! He was a big boy!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Oh I've heard great things about shields! I was the first to breastfeed in my family, so I understand the fear thing. Wait until you hear another baby crying after your milk comes in. Its like your boobs try to tell you to feed it. LOL.
  • Yeah I come from a family that doesn't breastfeed so im pretty clueless on the subject. My in laws all breastfed/feed but I feel awkward about asking them for advice lol
  • Congratulations!
  • Congrats I was wondering when that lil guy was gonna come. :)
  • wow congrats!
  • @fate @thetrondsons1st @homebirthadvocate @captivated

Need of some breastfeeding help! My breasts still aren't producing anything and my baby has lost 8% of his bodyweight! The nurse that's on shift keeps hounding me on it and my husband is telling me I'm being shelfish for "starving" him and to just give him a bottle. I'm trying to get him to latch on but hes not taking either nipple even with a sheild. Is this bad???
  • Don't listen to anything they are saying! Ask for the LC at the hospital and they will help. Your milk usually takes a few days to come in. Mine came in right at 2 days with my fdaughter who I am still nursing now and she lost 9% body weight too. She is almost 6 months now and is very healthy and average size. I'm sure you love your hubby but he has no clue what he is talking about! You are not starving your baby and that is a very unhelpful thing to say. You are doing great!! Just nurse on demand anytime baby wants to eat....even every hour...that is the best thing to do for the milk to come in. Like I said...also if you are sore ask the PC to come help and make sure baby is latching properly. I'm not going to lie...it does hurt for a few weeks. At least it did for me with all 4 of my breastfed babies but I promise it gets better and its so worth it!! Good luck!! Ask me any questions you have I'm glad to help...I've went through a lot of nursing lol
  • That happened to me.,I just had my 3 rd csection in october and my little girl was 8lbs 2oz at birth. At the beginning of the 3day my milk still hadnt come in and she went down to 7lb 6oz. However, by the next day when we were discharged she went up to 7lb 9oz because it did. They were hounding me to give her formula first because of the weight lost and second because she was crying to much in the nursery. So I kept her in my room after the first night and feed her on demand. Which helped because by the end of the third day my milk came in with a vengeance :) with all 3 though it took about 3 days to come in just give it time.
  • This also happened to me except he lost loads of weight and dropped to 6.13oz and lasted two weeks but I carried on and within a few days he was up to birth weight and now nine months later weighs over 25lb! Just relax hun, all babies lose about ten% of their birth weight at first but they put it all back on after :)
  • @jnlerod that's what I keep reading online. So today.I'm going to ask for a LC. the baby slept fine. I nursed well tried anyways every few hours. My husband I think was just frustrated with the baby crying and kept saying "lets just get a bottle of formula" I kept telling him no that's just going to hurt this breastfeeding like it did with my daughter but then he said that which made me cry. The baby soon quieted down soon after so I don't think hes that hungry. His sugar levels are doing great and he is active and wetting diapers. I'm just trying to stand my ground and not give into using formula. I'm just hoping hes getting something because it doesn't seem like anything is coming out of either breast

@sjmomof3 I'm hoping something comes in today. I kept him in the room all night and he was just fine so I dont know if hes hungry or getting colostrum (because I don't see anything during nursing) I'm trying to remember with my previous c section when my milk.came in with my daughter but I cant

• Stand your ground mama!! You're doing wonderful!! I also had a c-section and my lo was in yhe NICU for 4 days. They had me feed ever 3 hrs start to start.. (So it really was every 1 1/2) and my milk disnt come right away. They had him under a oxygen hood so I couldnt bf so I pumped and I only was able to get 1/2 ounce of colostrum... Pump or feed as much as possible to increase your supply and you will be good.
  • After birth babies lose some weight. Usuallysfter their first poop or from the iv you had as water weight. You only have colostrum until it changes. Nurse often! Not on a set schedule!!
  • **update**---the pediatrian came this morning and said hes lost only 5% of his body weight and hes doing just fine. He even told me that the baby is in the normal range of weight loss..stupid nurse
  • Yayyy!! Congrats !!
  • If his sugar levels are staying high then he is getting something! :) try sling for a pump and after you feed him, pump. Your milk will come in Faster. I had to do this because Marlie wasent latching, and the reason she wasent was because she was lazy on trying to get the colostrum. Colostrum is hard to get out. Lol. Don't stress! Just remember your built to do this! It just takes time and practice, for you and baby :) good luck!
  • Awesome!!! Yep just stand your ground :) They try to push formula I think sometimes but sounds like baby boy is doing great and normal!!! Congrats!! Keep on doing what your doing!!
  • They were worried about an almost 10lb baby losing 5%, so they were discouraging you from breastfeeding??? That weight loss is so very normal. Did you get the latching thing figured out? I never let my nurses give my babies any binkies or sugar water. Nipple confusion is so easily picked up by babies, it's unreal and devastating. You're the boss, don't let them tell you otherwise.
  • They pushed formula so much my lo never learned to latch
  • Thank you. I'm just waiting for the LC to come in. She came earlier but I was in a lot of pain so she said she'll wait until after I get me meds...she better come back! Lol but baby is still doing well just gets grumpy when I try to put him on my breast and he doesn't get anything
  • I went through similar, my boy lost 13% in the first few days, he struggled to latch & got so frustrated when trying he would scream & scream til he was exhausted & fell asleep, then would wake shortly after & the same would happen. Had loads of help from breastfeeding nurse, helped me try different positions, gave me tips like cupping my breast to make it easier to latch. Not gonna lie, it was difficult, it hurt like hell at times due to him having tongue tie (now been rectified) & i had a painful let down, but its now 3 months later, i love breastfeeding & am so glad i persevered. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!
  • if it makes you feel better, i had my last baby at home and she still lost about a pound in the first few days but now shes 18ish lbs at 6mo lol
  • **update**

So i finally spoke with an LC yesterday and she was a lifesaver. He was still giving me trouble last night with latching and feeding but i kept at it and he fed here and there last night on each breast.

BUT now hes loss 10% of body weight even though hes fianlly latching on and eating at longer stretches of time today. So they're (the pediatrition) keeping me and him in the hospital for another day...and because his billirubin levels are high (11). I was wondering if I should start with a SNS or something to help supplement or should I just keep with the regular bfing...I'm just still wondering what I should do and not to mention a bit worried about the babies billi levels but was told they would have to be at a 13 to be put under the lights.
  • Don't let the hospital scare you! Just keep nursing. Mommies have been successfully growing babies inside and outside their bellies for centuries :) You have everything he needs.
  • @homebirthadvocate @starrxoxo9 they forced me to use formula just now. Claiming that the pediatricion told them that I "had to". I'm pretty upset. I did put him on the breast for as long as possible while I used a syringe I brought to help push formula into his mouth. The nurse is telling me that the "formula really wont hurt breastfeeding despite what everyone says" I'm just lost right now. I don't want to use the formula they gave me. I feel extremely guilty for using it with him just now :( I feel jipped by these nurses..