when is flying safe and what about the new metal dectectors

edited March 2011 in First time moms
I don't live by any of mine or hubbys family ... I want to bring the baby to see every one soon after she is born how soon is to soon to fly?

And does anyone know if the new scanners are bad for babys? And what kinda "search" do they do if I say I'm not going through the scanner?

Comments

• I don't know when the soonest you can fly is. But I've heard those scanners can cause cancer, no idea if its a "fact" though. If you refuse to go through the scanners they will pat you down and run the wand over you. A little more awkward to go through but definitely better than risking babies health.
  • Well, my OB told me just the other day that all of the detectors are safe to go through while you're pregnant, but I don't know about newborns. I would assume they're fine just the same.

Is this your first? Cause I was gonna say family should come to you instead of the other way around. Lots of women do a lot of zipping around after they have their first to show people the baby. But they realize that it was just too exhausting and when they had their 2nd, they had people come to them instead. Just an idea if anyone can come see you instead. :)
  • @rockinmomma oh man i know i wouldnt like to have the pat down, ug what about my lill baby will they do the same with a newborn?

@pebblesmommy yes this is my first, i was thinking it might be really tiring to take baby across country but i havent seen any of my family in over a year and i wanna excuse to go see them,,, im planin on makin hubby help out alot ;)
  • Im not sure what the procedure is when it comes to newborns. I assume they do some sort of check but I really don't kno. Sorry.
  • We flew recently and not everyone goes thru the body scanners or gets a pat down, they do those randomly.
  • I think the baby needs to be six weeks old to fly. They should have their six week checkup and shots before you take them on the plane. Some airline have their own rules and will require a Dr note so check with the airline your going to fly with on their rules. Good luck
  • Its 18 weeks old ... why.. because there ears are not done developing and if u fly sooner it could damage there ear drums.. notice how your ears pop when you fly well its 10 times worse for there little ears.. I had to make sure of that myself because I'm moving to a base in Cali and all my family lives in florida and hawaii and his are from cali I won't be near home when I have the baby.. good luck to you tho :)