Crib....Pack n' Play....Bassinet? OVERWHELMED!!

edited April 2011 in First time moms
Ahhhhh! So many options. I've heard no on the crib, they don't like them when they're young, too much room, too far away... then I hear people love the convertible cribs so they can grow with them. I want a bassinet, so I can have it next to my bed, they don't cost too much, don't take up a lot of room, but what i'm worried about is the fact that i'm not going to be able to use it for very long... Then it comes to the pack n play. I've heard people use them for up to 18 months even, they have newborn sleepers in them, changing table, the whole 9 yards... any input because i'm sooo lost. The bassinet I was looking at and love, was the kolkraft 3 in 1 bassinet. :)

Thanks ladies.

Comments

• I had a bassinet with daughter she lasted a month before rolling over and needed crib as the bassinet safety rules go. This time I got pack n play with bassinet n changer its deeper and sturdy
  • I used the pack n play in our room at night, but put her in her crib for Naps. That way she got used to both. I think she was sleeping in her crib for both by 6 months.
  • Bassinets are good, they just don't last long at all, but great for the first few months especially if you are breastfeeding. I got a crib that converts into a toddler bed, and then a twin bed frame to save money. By the time they are out of the bassinet, they are perfect size for the crib. I don't like pack in plays because you have to bend all the way over to get the baby, and that's hard on the tummy for the first few weeks after birth. Hopes this helps. :)
  • I used a crib. My son did great in it and it is a convertible. He's 3 and just started using the full size.
  • I am going to have a basinet in the bedroom since I plan to breast feed. The only reason the crib doesn't work is the baby gets use to the basinette size, so just making that transition is what makes it a bit complicated. The 3-1 play pens seem awesome, I'm getting one :) they are def needed once the little one starts crawling, if you need to wash dishes, vacuum or put a load in the washer its somewhere you can set the tot for a few minutes. They all depend on how you want to do things
  • My son slept in his crib from day one until he was about 15 months old...I never had a bassinet and the only pack n play I used was at my moms because she didn't have a crib for him...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I never had a pack in play..so idk about that. But had a bassinet and loved it! Im gonna probably get both..but this time buying them used on craigslist ..
  • I used a bassinet with my first son and I liked it but could only use it for so long. Had it not been given to me I prolly wouldn't have used it. I did use a crib for my kids as well as a pack n play. I got a new one (well new to me anywyays) that has the changing table and bassinet included. Ill let you know how I feel about it after baby #3 gets here :)
  • I used a pak n play with my first even though she had a crib. I'm using a pak n play for this one too. They have bulit in bassinets so they are wonderful.
  • Pack n Play. Then crib when they start rolling.
  • My only problem with pack n plays is that the pad isn't too comfy... my daughter would not stay asleep unless she was on the couch or bed so this time around I'm trying the 3 in 1 crib I just hope my lil man sleeps in it :/
  • I plan on using a pack and play. We live in 1 bedroom and a crib will take up too much room. I have my eye set on one with a changing table, newborn sleeper, and a compartment on the side for storage lile diapers and what not. Seems sturdy, convienent, and cheaper than a crib plus has way more options.
  • The pack n play would b good for caging purposes ;-)
  • I'm getting a foldable crib on wheels that has a changing table and storage on it. Idk if its called a pack n play, I liked it because my apartment is teeny and I think most of the wooden cribs I've seen are ugly and overpriced.
  • I love using pack and plays.. easy to use and move. Its nice for vacations or if you want to go to the park when they are babies they can play in it..

A crib is nice but I'm sure it won't be used for a couple months(I'm having my first baby, but I have a daycare so I know stuff. Haha) we got my sis in law a 3-1 crib with the changing table. She loves it. I love the idea. Never need to buy a new bed unless it breaks. Just buy new mattresses and ofcourse the rails.
  • We coslept all in the bed together but I don't really recommend it. I nursed and it seemed like I woke up everytime my daughter moved. There is a new product out by fisher price I think that is a bed height but is about the size of a bouncy seat. We really want try that. My daughter slept in her swing for almost the first month lol. We tried to have her sleep in her crib as often as possible and she used it as a crib for about 10 months. Then we converted it into a toddler bed (because she started climbing out of it.) She used it for about a year and a half total and now we'll use it again as a crib for her little brother. ;)
  • I'm using a bassinet then going to a crib. I used pack n play with my son he used it for a looong time! I used bc I had too didn't have much money for anything else. I didn't like it bc the pad isn't comfy at all too hard :\ I felt bad for my little baby but I hadno other choice
  • Im going to use a pack n play next to my bed. I did the same with my daughter.
  • Look on craigslist for. A used bassinet that's where I got mine and its super nice! Only cost me 60
  • My crib is in my bedroom so baby will sleep in there
  • I love the crib idea...just because of how cute bedding is. Although, it's not safe for them to use blankets. Gosh, i'm just so confused. I want a bassinet. I really think i'll get one...but the pack n play, why is it hard to put the newborn in when it comes with a newborn sleeper, and the bottom can be raised up?
  • Kmart has new bassinets for thirty five dollars (I work there) and the pack n play I have you can just add a crib matress too so you don't have to have the pad. They one I had before I kinda cheated and layered blankets and everything to make it feel thicker and put a sheet over it to keep it smooth.
  • I got a pack n play only for sleep and the mat is up high like a bassinet so I won't have to bend much
  • I love my pack n play.
  • @kalikojenie lol I did that with my pack n play too! Layered blankets to make it more comfy.. isn't the crib matress too big for the pack n play?? If I can add the mattress to the pck n play I'll. Do the pack n play again
  • K Ladies.... love the pack n play idea.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4389470

That's the one I REALLLLYYY love. Especially since I won't have to buy a changing table, or swing, since the newborn bassinet is removable with vibration and music! The ratings are really good also. Think it's okay for everyday/night use? for 6+ months till we buy a crib/use nursery?
  • Im using all in one pack and play,,, the nee ones are soft but not to soft ,,, pluss its so easy to take from the bedroom to sleep at night to the living room for the day time ,,my first baby had a crib and a bassanet I used the crib at 1month cus a bassanet sucked to small,had wheels that didnt lock,,
  • @lily_glz the one I have is big enough for the matress. Im not sure if all of them are cuz the one I used to have was too small, but I fit a matress into the bassinet thing that was attatched to it and it fit snugly. I didn't buy my pack n play though it was given to me by a coworker
  • edited April 2011
    My daughter has slept all night in her crib from day one. It is a 4in1. She has slept with me a few nights when she was sick, but does great in her crib. It was well worth the money I paid. I also got the matress that flips so that its more comfortable when you go from the infant style to the toddler bed. We have a paknplay for travel, but never bought a bassinet (thought it was a waste due to short term usage). Im getting her switched to a toddler bed tomorrow and starting to get my son's room prepared for his arrival (i do believe I have hit my nesting phase!) Hopefully he will enjoy his crib as well!