fast food..

edited April 2011 in Parenting
What are your thoughts on fast food for kids?

Mine. I know its really convenient when you are out and about and they are hungry. But there are healthier options then mcdonalds and burger king. I hate seeing my friends post pics of their toddlers munching on a double cheeseburger or deep fried chicken nuggets and fries.

I watched kids in my home and this mom just dropped off her 1 year old daughter with a happy meal. Like what kind of lunch is that? At least get apples and juice instead of fries and sprite.. Though at least most parents choose sprite instead of a dark soda.

I really don't plan to give my kid fast food for many years if possible. So many adults, children, and toddlers are over weight. Not all b.c. of a poor diet. But b.c. they don't exercise.

I'm in no way of a saint. I def love my big mac. When we go shopping at walmart its so convenient to stop in and eat before we shop. But Ive been going to the deli/fruit section and have been getting the pre-made subs instead and either those little containers of apples and peanut butter or carrots and ranch.

Comments

• We were raised on Dr and thankfully I east obese like it should have made me, they didn't have those healthy options "back in the day" I haven't had fast food in about six years to help my hubby stat healthy too... Until my hungry little monster wanted long john silvers... I still try to stay away, but have bad morning sickness whatever I can eat, I try to, and if I puke up fast food and don't ever want it again, no harm w that. I hope to keep babies away from it for as long as possible, but it is something that is ok as a sometimes food and so long SD they are healthy. So glad they do have the healthier options now, it will make it more bearable!!!
  • If I do have to resort to fast food for my kids, it will be very rare and they will have the healthy options like apples and milk instead of fries and soda. It's important to teach them healthy eating habits while they're young!
  • I'm a little confused w/ your first sentence. Maybe autocorrect messed it up @jellybelly1015

Wow 6 years! Your pretty hardcore.. haha.. I guess it would be easier to stay away if my husband actually liked flavor. All we ever cook at home is crap like sloppy joes, hamburger helper, chicken helper(we replace the tuna w/ tysons canned chicken) and tacos. I wish we could have better things.. But I cant cook anything with veggies or spices. My mom told me I need to start just cooking w/e I freaking feel like and if he doesn't eat then that's his fault.
  • Im hoping I can stay away & keep my kid away from fast food I was raised on fast food so I want to change that habbit
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I swore before I had kids that they would never know about fast food. Well, they do, we try to go no more than once a week, usually after my daughters dance class. We live 20 minute from dance and by the time we do a grocery run, and get home it is nap time, so yes we do fast food. Am I proud of it no, but I do try to make sure we are eating as healthy as possible during our other meals. I don't see anything wrong with it, unless that is your childs main diet, say more than 2 meals their per week on a regular basis.
  • Fast food is convenient. I would let my child have chicken nuggets, but substitute the fries for some apple dippers or something. Even if they wanted fries I may let them have them, but it's not like they will eat McDonalds everynight.
  • My kids eat fast food when we do. I don't see anything wrong with the occasional burger or chicken nuggets. My kids don't really like fries and prefer chocolate milk over soda.
  • edited April 2011
    @leggs2011 yep totally fudged that! Lol. Stupid phone. Dr = it & I east should have been I'm not. That hurt my brain!!! :)
    My hubby wanted to eat healthier and I like cooking, otherwise it probably wouldn't have happened!
  • The rule is if I'm cooking then youj eat what I make otherwise you can starve. It goes for both for kids 7 husband. Like everyone says . . . When we eat fast food, we always make health choices instead of fries & soda option.
  • Maybe your friend was in a hurry. I try not to judge because I would have to be that person in order to do so. I don't think it should be every other day but once a week or two won't hurt. I think it is okay in moderation. Kids need to be taught about self control and moderation too.
  • My son eats fast food,even though when i was a kid it was a special treat :) he mostly gets the happy meals cus a prize..he does get apples n chocolate milk.. ..he eats pretty good@ home ..he loves vegetables and fruit ..my friends daughter only gets subway and sometimes mcds..but man she does not eat vegetables at all..maybe a carrot here and there..and my sons not aloud to have soda..although yesterday he had a half of can of sprite(at a hawaiian festival) a little thing of water was $1.25..and I drank 3 I wanted more but too much $$. But he didn't start getting fast food till around 2yrs old
  • I can see how parents would resort to fast food. Mine did. We didn't do it every day tho, more like once every two weeks unless we were on a road trip. Everything had to be from the dollar menu too. Personally, I'd like to avoid fast food as long as possible by packing snacks and homemade food. If we're out, why not go to a grocery store and grab a fruit cup, 100% juice, and a sandwich?
  • We don't eat out much often either. Usually once a month when I go shopping because we are at least 30 minutes from city. We also get stuff while traveling. But we get apples and milk usually for my 3 year old or for a treat a real fruit strawberry slush from Sonic. At home my daughter eats mostly fruits and veggies and drinks milk or watered down juice.
    I also think most weight issues are due to lack of exercise. I live in Tennessee: there are few playgrounds and no sidewalks, how we expect our kids to get out and play is a mystery to me.
  • I think it is okayy.. as long as they are eating healthy things too like i figure itd be allright to have sum chicken nuggets and french fries for lunch if your gonna eat a good meal with all the importand things.. but thats just my oppinion.
  • I was such a picky little kid and super skinmy but when I started liking chicken tenders in like foirth grade ot all went down hill.. mcdonalds was on the way to my elementry school amd in fifth grade I had it for breakfest loke twice a week and now im really fat, or at least feel like it.. and when my sis was little and I was a baby my mom always made healthy breakfests lunchs and dinners but when I grew up she syarted getting lazier amd.now I eat poptarys, toasyer waffles, and sugary cerals fpr breakfest so dont get lazy lile my mom did cause then its alot easir to opt for fast food
  • Im not gonna lie.. Every since ive became preggo Sonic slushes and shakes have become my guilty pleasure.. I found out a small slushie plus an hour or two of swimming will make my kids knock out just in time for me to take a well needed nap. Im horrible and desperare, i know.
  • We always had home cooked meals when we were kids. Then when we got to be pre teen and teenagers my mom worked at a bar so was gone by 5. So she'd just give us money to order. Pizza hut or go get some burgers. Usually burgars was cheaper. So with her being gone at night and being a single parent idk how to cook much. And if I did it still wouldn't matter b.c. of my husband.

@gladiator007 he agreed going to cooking classes w/ me. But I can't find a local place that has them. :(

@jellybelly1015 haha I figured it was like that. My hubby doesn't care about eating better. I buy grapes, brocoli and lettuce and more and he never eats on them. His parents never made him eat it as a kid. When I was a kid we were made to sit there and eat our food or we wouldn't get up from the table til bed time.

My older brother is a big guy. Nothing like 400+ lbs. But he is def a big boy. He eats crap from all the fast foods and its so depressing to me. He just sits there and plays video games.

@victoriab exactly! Run in to the groceray store. Grab bananas, apples w/e as a side. And either the pre made subs or get the items to make them.
  • @may16_2ndbaby we grew up in the country and we were always made to go outside and play. We didn't have a nice fenced in backyard. But woods behind us to hike and a hay feild beside to run around. We just rode our bikes up and down on the side of the road. We stayed active with no parks or side walks.

@just_the_auntie that's exactly how my mom was. She stopped making pancakes and waffles and just gave us cereal or pop tarts

@luvbump I LOVE frosties from wendys :) mm so thick and yummy. But I try to stay away from them.

I have daycare kids and at every meal they get fruits and veggies. I have never once given them pop, koolaid or chocolate milk. Only watered down juice, milk or water. I have never given them ice cream or cookies. Not even when I was potty training them. If they went on the potty their treat was a fruit snack or apples. The mom said she'd bring over dum dum suckers for her son if I wanted. No I don't want to give ur kid suckers for when he goes on the potty..
  • If we have to be out and eat fast food we try to go to subway. That way the kids get one of those kid fit meals. If we go to McDonalds they don't get fries and soft drinks. They have to get the milk and apple bites.
  • @Leggs2011 I don't allow my daycare kids to drink pop, koolaid, or chocolate milk either. They only get cookies or something if it's someone's birthday or something special.
  • @hursk28 yea subway will be the winner of fast food picks. I LOOOOVE subway. And that's what I've been craving since I got preggo. :) I worked there for a year at one place and 8 at another store.. sooo yummy. Free food everyday! I thought about working there again for part time again since I got preggo. Lol

@natalie that's good. Tomorrow is Cecils 3rd birthday and I am letting him have a cookie. But I didn't buy any cake, cupcakes or ice cream.
  • @Leggs2011 I think it's awesome that you feed your daycare kids so healthy. Some daycares feed kids really unhealthy foods
  • Yea I've def nocticed. I went undercover when I was only watching my friends boy. I went to different homes to see how they ran things. I could be an investigator. Haha. :)
  • I went to one the other day and they were feeding the kids burgers & fries with cookies.
  • That's terrible @alana.. I wonder if the parents know, or care. Its so easy to feed kids good meals.. canned fruit is not expensive. Heck neither is fresh. I have bought books on foods for daycare kids.. there is a website, I forget what its called. But its ran by the government and if you participate in feeding healthy meals they give you some money back.
  • @legs2011 lol, my hubby was surprised when we were dating, my family is not healthy and I just attributed it to the fast food so I didn't want to be like that. He saw me eat healthy and that it could taste good and with minor changes not much expensive, just like you said. That motivated him to start running and he lost like 20lbs before his knees couldn't take it (from being hit by a car a few years earlier) so after we got married, he still wanted to do something, so for one year anniversary got him a bike. He is more fit than I am now! Good example for our little one on the way!!! :)
  • @jellybelly1015 ooooo sexay hubbay! Lol. When my husband and I first started dating he was working out at least 3 times a week, playing basketball non stop, going for a run. I thought awesome we can work out together. Well he's in the army, after we got married and moved in with eachother he stopped all that. Makes me think he never did any of it!

He still does pt in the mornings, but he has still gained weight. He drinks like 4 pops a day. Its crazy! I tell him no when we go to the store. That he doesn't need the stuff.
  • I have a child going to headstart next year and i went to see how they worked. They feed the kids there but the food was stuff i would never give a 3 year old like chips and peanuts. I will be packing my 3 year olds lunch for headstart.
  • Fast food was a no no at my house growing up. It was a special once in a blue moon treat for my brother and I. Must admit I have my moments now where I become a fast food junkie. Going to try and keep my baby girl away from it for awhile. Unless its subway or panera bread mmmmmm. =P~ we eat pretty healthy at my house and there's never really junk food so should be easy :)