What is your baby shower budget?

edited May 2011 in Baby showers
Since my mom and sisters are throwing the shower, they gave me a budget of 1000. I really want to have an elegant shower, however I don't want to spend too much money doing it. I have seen some wonderful bbshowers on the internet and they look like weddings. I so don't want to do the norm, but I don't want to over do it. Ugh.....so lady's do u have a budget or was giving one. If so how do u plan to spend?

Comments

• Wow 1000 bucks. If you have the money and have nothing better to spend it on... why not? I don't plan in spending to much! 100 maybe 200. But I plan on small finger foods cake mints and the decorations I don't care much about. But I have a nice big open house so I plan on saving money and having it here... besides its much easier then packing everything and taking it all home :)
  • I only spent about $200 on mine. Mostly paid for the food. The place was free and they had table clothes and plates, cups and utensils for me. They also had streamers and a banner they made for me.
  • I had my baby shower at a tea room. I had 75 people and we had a very nice brunch buffet and it was so elegant. I think it cost about $1200 but my mom, 2 aunts and god mother all went in on it.
  • I spent $25 to rent a church...and about $300 on everything else...it turned out nice
  • I feel kinda of bad having the option to spend that amount. Everyone is excited bc we haven't had a baby in the immediate family in 16yrs...so they want to go all out. 300 is the cost of food alone bc the amount of people that's coming. The place on cost 70.00.

So everyone seems comfort in the amount that they spent and that's a good thing.
  • i dont have a budget.. my mother inlaw is throwing it.. we dont have money to spend frivaliously like that.. and the only thing i help with is the guest list.. lol.. good luck.. i bet you could do something real nice though..
  • Wow!!! We're doing 100!
  • i love the church idea though... cuz it got cramped up in the house
  • ummm ok, if their going to spend 1000 to entertain people I think that looks better going toward what the baby needs. put that 1000 in my pocket!! im just saying. i think more along the lines of 200 bucks
  • I'm cooking the food myself. Hopefully having it at a friends place. I'm looking fo discounts on gifts & trinkets to take home. I bet ill spend under $250-300. Hoping to that someone will be nice & chip in with trinkets or decorations. I know my aunts will help buy cake & bring appetizers. I probably will come out cheaper than $250. But with $1000. Wow it will be like a wedding. Fancy!
  • Yeah 200-300 maxs
  • Where are you all finding places where food is just $300?! Mine is going to be about $1000 just for food and that's the least expensive of places I found!
  • well im having mine at a community center to rent it cost 75. and there r about 40 people coming, me and my family are cooking mostly everything at home. we r going to order a meat and cheese tray and a cake from the grocery store or maybe sams club. but 1000 just for food. if u got it go ahead and spend it i guess, but i just prefer to spend the bulk of the money on the baby
  • I'm making my mom and sisters bring food, I'm having it at my house, and I'm asking my f-i-l to pay for the cake. I'm not decorating outside of the food table because I'm going to try to keep it mostly outside (I'm setting up a slip and slide and a sprinkler ball in my back yard since it will be july/august and having the kids bring swim suits). I hopefully won't spend more than $100-$150 on what I need to make. I'm inving about 50 people including lots of kids and husbands.
  • edited May 2011
    Our maximum was 300 we had about 40 people. That was even a lot considering we could have spent it on our little girl, but we had fun. We also made our own food because home cooked meals are better in my opinion. I also made home maid cupcakes with strawberry filling and home maid buttercream frosting....yum! I even died the drosting pink. Lol We did ours at a church as well. The most money was spent on the gifts for the games and the food. We did a co-ed shower. It was tons of fun, but I couldn't spend over what I did. Lol. That's just me though :)
  • Myn will proble be around 300, im sprnding about 50 on food and 50 for the location and then all tje decarations and prizes will fill in the rest of the cost
  • You have a budget and get to pick out everything for the shower? :-O I have a say in the idea for the cake and I got to pick the venue. Other than that, my hostesses are picking out decorations (based off of baby's theme) and games.
  • @ MrsMaxwell...Baby Mya is taken care of already....my family has already purchase all the big ticket items plus more and I know that it won't be a time that a need won't be met. Its not like they have money to throw away but they intend to spend very wisely and that's why the budget was able to be that amount it is. I'm not the one w the money..I'm just bless to have family that can afford it and if I was giving it would probably be less than 500. I honestly feel like its too much..but hey that's what they want to give me.
  • I feel like its too much too. The other venues would have been around $1500 plus decorations and prizes. My mom and "mil" are throwing it for us. We have 100 on the guest list. I felt the same way @mrsmaxwell, that if they wanted to spend a ton, spend it on baby. His bedroom furniture is being bought by my parents and the rest will be taken care of.
  • well do as u please:)
  • @lilpeapod913....regardless of how much they spent on the babyshower..its not even going to compare what they have purchased and will cont to purchase...like I mentioned earlier this is the 1st baby we have had in the family in 16yrs...this is my 1st...their excited....I dnt think I'll even spend that full 1000.00..thus far, I have been able to catch things on sale via internet.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • My mom and i cooked all the food except the cake. I only had about 40 guests. I had mine at my church.
  • @simply Wow...lol..here I'm here stressing over my budget...but I can see the need for yours...the more people u have the more food u need and food is expensive...and u def don't want to run out of food...lol..

How many hours will ur shower be? It is going t be somethg like a party.
  • Wow..u can't bet that...its worth the extra 200 to come and leave...lol..I hate cleaning afterwards...congrats and hope ur babyshower rocks like no other. :)
  • I'm not sure how much mine is but I rented a tap club and its 250 for that. N I don't got a say in nothing else hut the foods I want I hope its not to much
  • Ummmmm...don't really have a budget but as cheap as possible. I wouldnt want the price of gifts to be less than how much I put into it.

Mine is going to be more so of a cookout on the beach...