smoking 24 weeks

Comments

• I posted on this on may 5, then I was smoking about 10 a day it kept going up I was a pack a day pre pregnancy. Once my boyfriend saw that I was smoking more and more, he jumped my ass yelling at me for hurting his baby and that was what I needed to get me to stop sometimes you need tuff love. Its now been 7 days and after the first 3 it wasn't to bad
  • Ive gone 1 day and abit without a cigi now, have had terrible headaches! Im 20weeks. Its hard but ive been using nicotine patches & i actually havnt craved on just really wanted one! You cant just decide ur gonna quit i dont think i could of if my fiancehad quit and told me he wants me to, it made me feel guilty. Once u set ur mind on doing it im sure ull be able to :D good luck sweetie
  • I quit the day I found out. What helped me was to not make any excuses. I didnt complain to myself or outloud. I never mentioned wanting a cig even when I did at first, not once did I say it outoud.

It was self discipine. Now I go as far as holding my breath when I walk past someone smoking. At first I didnt need the reminder but now I just cant stand it.
  • Also Im making being cigarette free my lifestyle. If youre just waiting to start again that doesnt help either bc you havent set your mind to realize its for the better of your health and the child after he/she is born. Smoking is a means of self mutilation in my opinion. Perhaps you should also address why you havent quit smoking for yoursef knowing what harm it does to your body. I used to be a cutter sometimes Id switch between ways to hurt myself. Cutting, smoking, drinking excessively, sex with strangers and other drugs. Cutting isnt the only means of hurting yourself, but its the obvious one.
  • How're you making out, hun?
  • edited May 2011
  • edited May 2011
  • I smoked with both of my sons. Trying to quit is easy, but actually quiting is hard. hey if u find away please inform me cause I've tried numerous times. I truely want to quit need help. I thank god both of my boys came out healthy, this times might be different. So any suggestion would help.
  • I agree with @sunshine25 and @momtobe19 its mind over matter, if you really wanna quit, you will. I quit the day I found out and haven't looked back. I'm 25 weeks now. I smoked a half a pack a day for 10 years too. My bf quit cold turkey too 5 weeks ago. But when he was smoking he went outside and I didn't have to tell him. It's all about priorities. Your baby, or your addiction, what's more important?
  • @melzbabii731 I think your confused. @sunshine25 was being sarcastic and then told her to quit.
  • edited May 2011
  • edited May 2011
  • @miszgoss1986 smoking only lowers the babys birth weight... I was in the same boat as you. But try hard candy and suckers. I enjoy the smell of cigs and alcohol ..... but can't use them. Serious tho, when u cut back more ull grow a nasty taste for comigs.... I've been finished for almost six months! Plus instead of asking for "q"s on here try a ReaL doctor. Some women on here are ignorant. Best of wishes :)
  • edited May 2011
    Call 1-800-quit-now they will send u a ton of patches to quit. If Ur doctor says Ur ok to take them that is. I smoked for 4 years. Used 1 patch, and it made my arm feel funny, so u ended up quiting cold turkey. But their program helps too :) and all free
  • Just start cutting down one a day. I quit cold turkey, I can't stand the smell of them at all. Which is basically what hypnotism is when they help people quit. Just make yourself disgusted by it
  • best of luck hun. srry ppl are bn rude
  • @miszgoss1986 like i said before i smoked thru my first and he was 100% healthy! and hasnt gotten sick once!!!! its not like your lungs are connected to the babies lungs!!!! dehydration does the same thing to your blood that smoking does!!!! people are stupid! i dont know why everyone gets so defensive about it! if your kid gets asthma than yeah its not only your fault but everyone around that smokes because of second hand smoke! iv been smoking for 12 years and i have never had bronchitis or asthma or whatever else there is that you get from it.. how did women ever get thru a pregnancy without a babybook in the past?! hmmm idk but i do know they didnt change their ways! and the baby boomers their parents were more notorious for smoking during pregnancy than we are today and they all are super old now, and there are a ton of them! i bet that if most people would ask their grand parents or great grand parents that smoke 97% of them would say they smoked while they were pregnant with your grandparents and parents... people just need people to criticize to make themselves feel better about something they didnt do by the book during their pregnancy! im glad that you have cut back its good for your health! i recently quit because it now makes me sick! i still crave it but once i smell it i puke... so i guess i got a little lucky this time because i have been wanting to quit for years now.. but dont listen to rude comments from others than have no idea what it is like to go from smoking to nothing! it sucks and since they dont know how hard it is to quit! i say screw them, you do what you do and be happy! you have another blessing coming into your life and that is all that really matters! hope youre doing ok and im proud of you girl! keep it up!

and to all the people who bashed me on my original comment did i tell her to smoke 3 packs a day and that everything will be fine.. no!!! i told her what i have experienced with my last pregnancy i cut back and told her what i have found on the internet and been told by doctors about blood circulation while smoking! if you smoke every 15 mins than yeah youre cutting off a lot of blood circulation but if youre taking it easy and cutting back than youll be fine! and so will the baby! so excuse me for telling what i have experienced! and if you didnt like what i had to say than you should have kept your fingers from typing such immature words!
  • I smoked with my other two. Still smoking now. Would like to stop but I feel the stress would b worse for baby and me. Im going through alot right now so.
  • I smoked till I was 24 weeks along, tah I even smoked weed. I'm now 36 weeks and my son is healthy, I've had a very heathly pregnancy. My Doc says its been perfect. My older sister smoke 2 packs a day threw her pregnancy, her daughter was 100% healthy. My mom smoked while she was pregnant with me and my other 2 sisters, both were healthy . If u can atleast cut back, that's wonderful and great. But I feel if u can't quit, and ur trying to do ur best to quit, atleast cut back.
  • edited May 2011
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • i love how everyone is so brainwashed.... i wont change what i have said because i dont believe in all the bull shit that everyone feels they should push their views on everyone else. everyone in my family smoked while pregnant and we all are fine... docs just need something else to blame when they screw up! this topic is like religion or politics... everyone has their opinions but no one is right... and most of it is lies.. i commend you on cutting back but i dont see that you smoking is bad.. my son is perfect and i wouldnt have gone back in time to do anything differently!
  • @mommy2isaiah&;giselle yes it found it to be 2.
    Hope it helps!
  • the doctors are to blame when bbys have low birth weight? Hmm. Interesting.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • It's hard. I wouldnt have been able to quit if my hubby hadn't quit with me. My cousins had a hard time too. She even went through counselling. It helped her to cut down she would try to smoke half a cig each smoke break instead of a whole one. And eventually if her husband smoked she would just hit it a couple times. Keeping track and a journal to express her thoughts and feelings really helped. Good luck! It isn't always easy for everyone. I'm rooting for you!
  • @Mommy2Isaiah&;Giselle, i say that because NO ONE i know has ever had any problems with their babies and they too smoked, i have seen more problems with babies, children, teens, adults of mothers who went by the book... its just my opinion and im not expecting anyone to agree with me but its just what i have seen and experienced in my life and i still will not change what i have said... i have already quit with this baby because it makes me sick, if it didnt make me sick, i would still be smoking.. i only smoked a pack a week so i dont feel back for what i did and again i wouldnt do anything differently. my doc is the one who told me not to quit because it could throw my body into shock and my body would kill the baby, so it was take the chance of quitting and killing my miracle baby, or smoke a little here and there and getting a 100% perfectly healthy baby out of it...... what would you have chosen? i am not ashamed of anything i do or have done and "statistics" arent going to change that.. and just because a scientist tells you something doesnt make it true.. they get paid for their "discoveries" and if they say something that targets a major market they make big bucks... ever thought of that? just sayin... you believe all the mumbo jumbo and do everything by the book, and when your child gets asthma or whatever else, what are you gonna blame it on? (no im not wishing that upon you or your child, im just saying what if) and il do things my way.. your way is the right way for you, and my way is the right way for me.. nuffff said!
  • i think a few people on here need to read this one more time! (or a few more times)

If you can comment in a respectful manner, feel free but telling someone they are wrong for talking about it or that what they're doing/thinking of doing is horrible and evil - that is NOT ok. Opinions are great, yes - but cruelty to others is not. I honestly think that there are a lot of opinions that are better left unsaid, it's all about respect for others weather you agree with them or their decisions or not. I really hope that everyone is able understand this and respect that Martin has decided to allow it as a valid topic within his forum.

Thank you,

-Mama_Kat, Pregly Support Team