breast to formula/bottle.. help please!

edited August 2011 in Breastfeeding
im trying to switch Ryleigh from my breast to formula but she is being stubborn and doesnt want it half the time. she only takes the liquid kind when she actually takes the formula. ive tried the powder but she absolutely hates it. I tried mixing my breast milk in with it but it didnt work. ive got alot of different bottle thinking it was that but I dont believe its the bottle. so my question is how can I get her completely on the bottle?

if u have time @homebirthadvocate can u help me out if u know any tricks?

Comments

• Is your formula warm? Maybe try breast feeding and after she gets going, try sticking the bottle in her mouth? Maybe the nipples on the bottles are too hard? I like the latex nuk, I got them from the hospital and its soft. Good luck.
  • edited August 2011
    @mimii36 @preggointx thanks ladies :)

@jcmommy thanks :) yea it warm, she wont take it unless its very warm. the bottles that I have all have soft nipples and ive got a few of them thats suppose to help switching from breast to bottle.. I just duno what else to do
  • I've had trouble with getting my babe to take a bottle, even of my milk, so someone advised me to try warming the nipples a little as well?
  • @natashalynn really? ill try that. at this point ill try anything
  • Youre welcome. Just trying to help you find an answer. Good luck!
  • Also. Don't be in the room when she's getting a bottle, and if whoever is feeding her is having trouble, try moving to a new location, such as outside. My girl enjoys a bottle out on the deck lol
  • You said she drinks the liquid formula? Then its most likely not the bottle. It's the taste. I would just keep giving her the liquid until she is solely drinking that then try to convert to the powder (if that's what your goal was, the powder) I prefer powder because you can pre measure it and not have to carry the big liquid formula container around
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @natashalynn i've tried the outside thing but it doesnt help. and I dont always have help with her. me and her daddy dont live together so that kinda screws me over on that :(
    @babynumber02 she wont take the liquid all the time either. she will take it maybe two times a day but she wants my boob instead. I would like her to take the powder but at this point id b happy if she'd take the liquid instead of my boob
    @ta2edblondie because my milk is hurting her belly. when she actually takes the bottle she is more comfortable and sleeps better.
    @homebirthadvocate ill try giving her my milk in a bottle. I dont have help all the time so I cant do that :( ive tried different formulas but the liquid similiac is all she'll take when she actually takes it.. the last two times she has took the bottle she will drink half of it and than stop. I warm the bottle up again thinking maybe its gotten to cold but doesnt help.. she sleeps better and isnt fussy when she take the bottle.. I just duno what to do anymore.
  • I'm sorry its hard for you. Your effort is amazing! Your doing great even if it seems like everything your trying is failing. I would just keep offering her a bottle. She won't let herself starve. It gets frustrating...really frustrating at times but keep at it. Whatever bottle she drank that little bit from I would stick with. Too much change might be hard for her. I would use your milk one time and formula the next or work out a consistent combination to help her ween off milk into formula. maybe feed her in the same place all the time (I know you have a life so its probably hard to always be in the same place when she wants to eat, but do your best) your doing a great job! All the things you have tried are all the things your "supposed" to do. Your a great mom and it will work out! I promise! :)
  • Not sure if you've taken this into consideration, but ur baby gets way more milk from a bottle than ur breast so if she doesn't take much of the milk from the bottle then its prob the amount she's used to from the breast. Hang in there!! Ur doing great!
  • @babynumber02 thank alot. it is very frustrating. most of the time i just give in to her wanting my boob because i cant handle her crying a long period of time. i tried to use the bottle every other time but she wouldnt go for it. her tummy hurts so much when she just take my breast milk. thats all she took yesterday and she couldnt sleep well last night, i feel so sorry for her and wish she would just take her bottle so she isnt hurting anymore. im going to try everything that everyone is suggesting, hopefully something works.
    @mybabyuno thanks.. ive thought about that to but when she takes only half the bottle she isnt full, she will get on my boob and go to town. so oz that she is eating isnt filling her up.
  • I know my daughter absolutely refuses to drink from a bottle if I am the one trying to feed her, but if I leave the room and hand her and the bottle to someone else she eats with no problems. Also have you tried different brands of formula? My daughter is exclusively breastfed but the handful of times I've tried formula I found she will only drink similac, I tried enfamil and she literally spit it out with disgust lol.
  • @rockinmomma i just tried that. i gave my sister the bottle and left the room but it didnt help. i havent tried enfamil yet, she hate the powder kind. she wont even give it a chance.. l0l. she is a very stubborn baby. :-((
  • Damn :( well I hope you guys can get it figured out! Have you talked to your pediatrician about it? He/she may be able to offer some good advice. Good luck, hun :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @homebirthadvocate yea im pretty sure its my milk thats doing it because she had one good day that she took the bottle and she was wonderful. she wasnt hurting and slept great. before I started drinking caffiene again she was like this. she just now took half the bottle and screamed til her face was bloody red for about 5 mins til I put her on my boob.. Its driving me crazy. she has had a tummy ache all day and has been in a horrible mood.
    @rockinmomma thanks, I hope so also..
  • Have you tried taking other things out of your diet like dairy or wheat? I didn't breastfeed, but a lactation consultant or your ped might be able to help you figure out common allergens and eliminate them from your diet. Good luck!
  • @laura536 thanks. im going to try changing my diet to help when she does bf but id like for her to take formula also..

im starting to wish I never breastfed in the first place now.. I just wana scream along with her :(
  • : ( that's a tough spot.
  • @ta2edblondie thanks :) my milk is starting to dry up so she is going to have to take the bottle sooner than later. she took almost a whole bottle last night and slept so much better.. now I just wish she'd take more and more of a bottle each day.
  • I'm having the opposite problem lol I'm trying to get my daughter to go from bottle to breast! Lol
  • @starrxoxo9 wana switch? lol.. this little girl is very picky and stubborn
  • Have you tried different bottles with different nipples? My daughter would only take certain bottles at first until her mouth got a.little bigger. Does your baby like pacifiers? Try to find a bottle nipple similar in size/shape to the pacifier and do some sneak switching! My doc told me gowing from breastmilk to formula may be hard on babys tummy and suggested gerber goodstart gentle.formula to ease the transition. Goidluck!
  • @lauramarie729i I finally got her taking a bottle.. it took a good week to get her to finally take it but after all the fighting we did, I won the war :) lol.. thanks though