seriously need help! baby name curve ball!

edited September 2011 in Baby names
Ok DH and I decided on Giuliana, but his Great Aunt just passed away and she meant a lot to him. Her name was Carmela (pronounced Ka-Mel-AH the R is silent).

So now Carmela is being thrown in as a possible first name. Our 19 month old is named Gianna. So now I'm thinking Gianna and Giuliana are too close. Carmela is an old Italian name, is it too old? The middle name will be Rosalie (rose-ah-lee) to honor my Grandma.

Giuliana Rosalie
Carmela Rosalie

Any advice or thoughts on this?

Comments

• I'm in the same boat, almost 37 weeks and no girl name :/
  • I think the two are very close. My sister and I are both n names, and our parents always mixed them up. It was/is annoying. I like carmela the best!
  • bbut I like both names equally
  • I like both but suggest going with carmela
  • I like Rosalie as the first name with Carmela in the middle...did the great aunt have a middle name you could use?
  • I don't think the names being close is q bad thing! Lol but I picked gauge & Gavin for brothers.

But if his aunt ment a lot to him then I would take it into consideration. It's nice to honor family members by naming kids after them :)
  • @1sttimerarmywife no, she didn't. She was born in Italy and its not common to have middle name there. We like Rosalie as a first name, but its also DH's exgirfriends name...we don't want het to think its about her...you know?
  • I love carmela!
  • i love carmela!!!
  • Carmela definitely
  • Carmela! I think the other names are very similar (*)
  • I like Carmela but I think ppl would wind up saying it wrong its beautiful though... good luck
  • if the R is silent why dont you drop it so people wont sat it wrong. cause i so was saying it wrong lol
  • R u open for suggestions on the spelling of the name? Its becuz I said it wit an r in it nd my gpas name was carmelo so its jst coming to me with an r.... Camelah but its a beautiful name by far nd I vote for it wit or witout the r...
  • edited September 2011
    Thank you everyone! So everyone seems to like Carmela over Giuliana (pronounced like Juliana). I'm kind of surprised you all like it b/c Carmela is such an old name and Giuliana is more modern. That was one of my concerns with it. I think Giuliana is very pretty, but there's something nice and different about Carmela.

@mami_of_3 i'm open to spelling it differently, not sure hubby is...I'm still working on him ;) He's a traditional guy, so it might be tough to get him to change the spelling.
  • If it was pronounced car-mel-ah would you still like it?
  • Carmela seems like an older name, but I never hear it any more and its beautiful, pronounced without the r is beautiful as well and it sounds like a modern version... but either or ur daughter will appreciate her name good luck... I have 3 girls nd enjoyed naming them... :-D