After birth to babyboys do they ask you if you want him circumsized?

edited February 2012 in Second Trimester
Well basiclly I just wanna know once you have a babyboy will the nurse ask if you want him circumsized or not. Or would you need to talk to them about that before leaving the hospital?

Comments

• Depends on your doc. Some do it in the hospital and some go it in their office.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The hospitals in my town won't do them. Hardly anyone gets it don't around here.
    and not all pedis do it here either.
  • My doc had me sign a paper before I even knew what I was having.
  • wow all the answers i can get in only 4minutes, i love the pregly sista's :) thanks everyone. Does health insurance cover it or do they only take health insuranse that belongs to the kid? another question for the sista's
  • Depends on the state. Mine doesn't cover it but I have medicaid tho which is goverment funded medical. If you have a diff kind of insurance it depends on the insurance company.
  • @Mimii36 you decided to wait until birth to find out?
  • No I was having a girl but I didn't know yet when I signed the paper. They gave it to ne when I came in for my initial appt and had to sign all those papers and tell them medical history, etc. I didn't have to start paying tho until I found out what the sex was...which happened to be a girl so I didn't have to anyway. But at my doc you could make payments as long as it was paid by the time you have the baby.
  • It seems kinda worthless to have Medicaid then, i guess... @Mimii36
  • Well they pay for everything else. Just not circumsision because its not medically necessary. They use to pay it tho a few years back because my brother is 6 and my mom had Medicaid and it paid for it. Some states still pay for it tho. Maybe you should check in your state.
  • And the prices vary from state to state also. He in NC its $300 but I've heard some places being like $150
  • They asked me when I had him and did it next day. Funny thing is they did it free but if I waited even a week I would have to pay. I have Kaiser. My friend had Medical and I think she said for her it would be $300 cuz Medical didn't cover it
  • Oh wow. :O
  • I think every hospital does it in Houston they came in and asked it was fully covered by medicaid in Texas it isn't considered cosmetic. Do your research.st the hospital u choose to deliver in and your insurance company I would get my son done again if this is a boy it's about personal choice
  • To answer your main question, I was asked first for my son. But turned out the hospital pedi wouldn't do it so it didn't matter.

About Medicaid, my son is 4 now and was on it. When he was born though we had a lot of trouble finding a doc who would do it and by the time we did they said he was too old and needed to wait until he was 1 to be put to sleep. So by that time it was considered an actual surgery and OK Medicaid paid for it ALL. That was 3 yrs ago.
  • The hospital asked me the next morning, did it there. I have United healthcare thru work so I never saw a bill, not sure how much it was.
  • I already talked to my dr about it. At my last appt. I was 25w.
  • Yeah it would suck to have to pay outta pocket, specially when someones pretty much poor. I gotta check to see if my health insurance coveres it..
  • The docs asked me in the hospital. It would've cost $300,but my insurance covered it
  • My medicaid did not cover it. I got charged almost $600 dollars for it (would have been nice if they'd have told me it wasn't covered, lol).

Oh well, they'll never get anything from me. I've got 60k of medical bills in the last 5 months since Medicaid dropped me so I am filing bankruptcy. So screw you Sentara! You aint getting your moolah!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • They asked for us and did it the day we left the hospital. The NICU nurse (He taught me tons of things) showed me how to clean it and take care of it. Since were in a military hospital everything is paid for so Im not sure on insurances.
  • My sons circumcision happened at 6 months, but it was surgery because he had penile detorsion, so they couldn't circumcise him as a newborn. Because it was a necessary surgery to correct the penis, it was covered thru Medicaid. So, my situation is different than the norm...but I believe it's covered here in Utah.
  • The hospitals I had both my boys at did them. You need to let your Dr know if you want it done. Our insurance covered it, but my husband is military and they cover everything
  • Im in MD and they asked us if we wanted it done the day after he was born.
  • Thanks ladies i'll deffinitely check with my Dr about it..
  • Medicaid does cover it, my sister had get son 10 months ago in Texas with medicaid, and it was covered. I'm pretty sure it does depend on your insurance AND the doctor/area you delivery at. I had my son 8 months ago through Tricare prime in Washington state, and it wad covered at the military hospital, but from what I was told from friends, it wasn't covered around us at the civilian doctors. We would've had to pay out of pocket for the procedure that's considered cosmetic. At least in this crappy area.
  • We have Medicaid & they covered it as long as its done before he turned a month old. :)
  • My OB asked me before i had my son & then once again when i was induced. Then they talked to me about it the day after i had him & they did it when he was 2 days old in the hospital.
  • & my medicaid ins. covered it all ;)