juice in a sippy cup?

edited March 2012 in Ages & Stages
Ok so I know they say give your lo juice in a sippy cup because of tooth decay or whatever....but I don't understand the difference in a sippy cup and a bottle. How does the sippy cup prevent tooth decay but the bottle doesnt? Anybody know?

Comments

• I have no clue either! I would love to know
  • Bottles drip. Good sippys don't.
    PS juice actually causes tooth decay
  • Ya the bottles can allow the juice to pool in your LOs mouth
  • edited March 2012
    @bahamamama4828 what do you mean they drip? If they are sucking it in how can the juice pool in there mouth?
  • It's more for people who use the bottle as a pacifier or put baby to sleep with a bottle. NEVER, EVER put baby to bed with a bottle unless it's water. Even breastmilk has natural sugar in it that can cause early childhood caries. Juice and worse, soda, are the worst offenders. I've had patients come in with soda in bottles and it makes me furious. Once your baby gets teeth start brushing with a soft toothbrush and training toothpaste. When she can rinse and spit you can use fluoride toothpaste. The American Academy of Pediatric Dentists recommends that you take your child to the dentist by the time they either have their first tooth or by their 1st birthday. Sorry for the rant, I deal with this stuff a lot and I'm very passionate about it.
  • And it's ok to breastfeed your baby at night as long as you're brushing her teeth in the morning and evening.
  • @frantastic ok its makes a lot if sense if the bottle is used as a paci or in the bed. I do neither of those tho. Thank you. Just the explanation I was looking for.
  • edited March 2012
    A child should be efficient with a sippy cup by the age of a year and even before then as it causes teeth and speech problems. A baby over six months should be introduced juice in a sippy cup for this reason as the weaning process can take months. There's really no reason to give juice in a bottle. Bottle=formula/BM Sippy=juice :)
  • You're welcome @Mimii36 teeth are my thing lol.
  • @Frantastic so what if you breastfeed I have to feed naliyah to get her to sleep is that bad for her teeth
  • See my comment above :-)
  • "One of the reasons for nighttime bottles causing tooth decay is the pooling of the liquid in baby's mouth (where the milk/juice bathes baby's teeth for long periods of time). Breastmilk is not thought to pool in the baby's mouth in the same way as bottled milk because the milk doesn't flow unless the baby is actively sucking. Also, milk from the breast enters the baby's mouth behind the teeth. If the baby is actively sucking then he is also swallowing, so pooling breast milk in the baby's mouth appears not to be an issue."

From @bahamama4828 's link. Great link!! @newmomma13
  • :* @bahamamama4828, I love you and your info. It's like you are inside of my mind.
  • @captivated that's my secret trick lol
  • My sister son had bottle rot bad from where he wouldnt take anything but a bottle. She was putting tea in his bottle