birth control for breastfeeding mommas

edited April 2012 in Postpartum Health
So I had naliyah in september and got on the mini pill since I'm breast feeding but I always forget to take it all the damn time!!! so its seriously a waste of money...are there any other options for birth control for breastfeeding mommas other then condoms cause I'm so not trying to have another baby any time soon cause naliyah is enough for me right now lol

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I was thinking about getting the iud cause it just seems so much easier but what are the risks and have any of y'all had any problems with it.. What's natural family planning @HomeBirthAdvocate
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @newmomma13 You definitely want to get on some kind. I had my daughter in October, was breastfeeding so I didn't get on any BC. And found in in February that I got pregnant in January.. so be careful. I thought the IUD (I looked at Mirena) but it is SO expensive. Because it can stay in place for 5 years, you have to pay 5 years worth of birthcontrol upfront for it. I didn't look into how much insurance would cover of that cost though.
  • Lol in in the same boat girl. The doc have me the mini pill but I still haven't started. Did it affect ur milk supply at all? I hate being on hormones. The best choic would be the mirena but I've heard good and bad stories. I really don't wanna get pregnant. We been using condoms and pullout :(
  • @HomeBirthAdvocate oh see idk anything about that stuff lol
    @1stWoodsBaby & @myHEARTZx3 see I was thinking about doing the iud but don't know much about it and yes I'm trying to finish college right now and if another baby came into the picture man I don't think that could happen... imma have to see if my insurance will cover it. Sows anybody know if tricare covers it?
  • I would recommend the paraguard instead of the Mirena due to the hormones and breastfeeding.
  • Tricare covers IUD's :) And the paraguard is cheaper from what I have heard.
  • I like the nuvaring and my doctor assured me it is safe for bfing. Hormones are delivered directly at the site and you don't have to think about it except twice a month.
  • @captived ok thanks girl I have an appointment on the 30th so imma ask my doctor about it... would u get the paraguard if u could
    @misskristin at my 6week checkup I asked my doctor about it and she didn't recommend it for me cause of breastfeeding but ill ask again
  • What about implanon? I dont have any info on it
  • Umm, probably not. I am not wild about IUD's @-)
  • You could buy the book called taking charge of your fertility..thought I'd suggest something different lol
  • @a_wagner whats that.
    @captivated any certain reason why
  • @mewmomma13, best friend almost died from one perforating her uterus. She was at my house when it happened. Worked at the OB clinic and saw multiple women who had issues with theirs- moving out of place, surgery, hemorrhage, etc :(
  • edited April 2012
    @captivated Which one was it though??? I had paragaurd and loved loved loved it. @newmomma13
  • @captivated oh crap do you know how often you go in to get out checked out

@Heather3rdgirl I guess every girl is just different
  • edited April 2012
    @newmomma13
    My doctor will not put in the Mirena after someone has had any children. She says because the tissue is softer and the risk of the iud moving around and what not becomes to great for her to do it. @HomeBirthAdvocate may know more about this??
  • edited April 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • What remind me of taking pill was getting pregnant again. Thats my motivation for ke remembering
  • edited April 2012
    @HomeBirthAdvocate that's what my doctor said. I had the paragaurd and had asked about Mirena she said no no no and that's when she explained why. Hmmm idk.
  • Wow that's interesting @Heather3rdgirl imma hadn't to do some research on my own and ask my doctor what's her opinion on it
    @HomeBirthAdvocate yea see idk when I even ovulate and when I'm most fertile or none of that imma check it that book that was recommended

@Valentinasmommy yea that's a good thing but I just have a billion things running through my head at once its crazy
  • That book helped me tons! I don't have periods from bfing and not on BC lol baaaad I know.
  • I have the implanon which is safe during bf my insurance covered it it's a lil rod implanted in ur upper arm it's good for 3 years Iv had it since September
  • Good to know @mackenzies_mama2010 im definitely leaning towards that after i deliver
  • @a_wagner yeah I love it cuz the iuds scare me cuz Iv heard a lot of scary stuff bout it and I never remember pills so it works perfectly I forget all the time I even have it lol I rub my arm and then im like ohh yeah hah
  • Mirena for me again after this baby. I loved it after I had my second baby. Tried the Minipill... Even after taking it on time, I'm pregnant. Never again. Mirena and Paragard are both safe while breastfeeding. I just don't like having a period. :P
  • @heather3rdgirl, it was the mirena every time.
  • @Mackenzies_mama2010 did it leave a bad bruise when u got it...

@Fate so maybe its not true that u shouldn't get it after having babies
  • Nope not bad at all just a lil one didn't hurt that much getting it put in either they numb the spot first n such The only thing is for 24 hours you can't lift any more then 20 pounds so it doesn't pop out n the place they poked it thru can heal up