Help! Baby food

edited April 2012 in Solid Foods
I started feeding Laila baby food. I 've been giving her sweet potatoes since friday. The week before it was a variety of flavors.
But shes been getting constipated and I dont want to just give her formula and oatmeal, it just doesnt fill her up. Any advice or suggestions?

Comments

• My mom told me to give apple sauce for constipated and it worked. She said at least one serving of applescsauce a day. Thats up to u all i know is b4 the apple sauce AJ poo was almost solid.
  • I give jamaiya apple juice. Her doctor also said to give it to her to help with constipation.
  • @candy101 You fed him that once a day? with formula feedings in between?

@Jazzie Did you dilute it?
  • How often are you doing the cereal? It's fortified with iron and can tend to constipate. I only give my LO one serving/day because it started to constipate her.

Also try higher fiber veggies and see if that helps.
  • @mijita Well I give her cereal once in a blue moon.
    Idk whats causing it :( Could it be im changing the flavors too much. Because I was giving her a different veggie/fruit everyday.
  • No, that wouldn't cause it. I think perhaps her gastrointestinal tract is still a wee bit immature. How old is your LO?
  • @mijita Shes 6months going on 7
  • It's possible her GI is just a wee bit immature. Have you tried giving her prunes? I know Earths Best has a 2 oz jar. You can give that a try.
  • I use to give my lo cereal and then stopped for a while. When I started back ut constipated her so bad so I stopped all together. Maybe the cereal is the problem.
  • Ive given my lil dude prunes if he goes a few days without pooping and that stuff has him crapping within an hour.
  • At first I did cause she wouldn't drink it straight up, but after she got use to it I stopped. @LolasBabyNum1
  • @Mijita Yeah I've tried giving her prunes. It makes her poop ok. Do you think I should wait to give her baby food?

@2ndbutfirst Really? Juice with cereal? What kinda juice? I got her the little apple juice bottles

@mimi36 I've only fed her cereal twice and even before then she would get constipated :/
  • Flax oil! Works great!
  • We do juice apple white grape or pear. I still mix it with water if I don't she won't drink it. I just got her to eat green veggies again by mixing them with pears or apples and she has had no issues going since then.
  • edited May 2012
    @bahamamama4828
    @sophiasmom11 Where can I get that at?? and how would I give it to her?
  • @navybabyonway My daughter hates green veggies lol I remember she made the most disgusted face when I tried feeding her green beans. But thank you i'll definitely try that
  • Natural section of grocery store like close to vitamins or health food store :)
  • edited May 2012
    @bahamamama4828 do I give it to her by itself or mix into something? How often and how much?
    Im sorry soo many questions :p
  • i mix the cereal with apple juice and not milk or water. my son has never been constipated
  • @LaFiitz89 Hmmm I might try that too. But im thinking its more of the solid food that constipating her. Because I would give her cereal when she was about 4mnths and pooped fine just recently did I start up cereal again
  • Spoon if she does OK with it. Every few hours is OK. Its not a Med and has a ton of omega's!
    If its bitter add to some fruit.
  • Yeah Juliana doesn't like any green veggies so now I trick her Haha
  • edited May 2012
    @bahamamama4828 Awesome. Im most definitely going to pick some up. thank you :)