Forumla Feeding Moms...

edited May 2012 in Formula Feeding
YOU ARE AN AWESOME MOM! (And I guess I should say I AM NOT BASHING on bfing moms and this is simply MY OPINION and support for those of us who ff.) I wanted very badly to bf my daughter and tried for over 2 months before deciding that it was not the best option for us. (She was not gaining weight no matter how much time she spent on the boob and in hind sight, I probably have scar tissue from improperly healed piercings.) Yes, we all know "Breast is best.", but it is just one option we have to feed our babies and whether you choose to formula feed or have no choice, you are still doing what is best for you and your baby and that makes you a good mom. After I stopped bfing, I came up with many positive points to formula feeding that I would like to share with any mom who are struggling with the choice/option to formula feed.

-No more hours of baby glued to my boob which would eventually lead to a moment of resentment that I could not sit down to a hot meal.
-Not feeling like a mama pig nursing her piglets while bfing at night (laying down).
-No more having to secretly whip my boob out in public and worry about whether or not I was covered or if baby was too hot.
-Not having to be the only one getting up to feed the baby.
-Being able to leave the house for more than an hour without the baby because we all know a little me time is necessary, even if it is a drive to the store alone.
-Security in knowing how much she was eating.
-Dad having more bonding time with her since he works an off shift that doesn't allow him to see her very much.
-I will be able to fly home (5000 miles) to visit family and not have to bf on a hot, stuff plane.
-When I had surgery, I didn't stress over how to feed her since I was not allowed to bf for at least 24 hours.
-Her big brother can help feed her.
-More quality time with my son without his sister always being right in his face.
-No more guessing about whether or not bfing is messing with my period.
-Being able to have that glass of wine with dinner and not have to think about pumping & dumping.
-Being able to take medicine should I need it, which is great for someone who suffers from migraines.
-Almost always having the option of handing the baby to someone else, if I just need a moment, and knowing she can still be fed.

Yes I know there are perks to both ways of feeding and sometimes I do miss bfing, but her health is what is important. I have plenty of friends who are breastfeeders and were very opinionated when it came to the topic of formula. Some went as far as to say I wasn't trying hard enough. I assure you that we spent HOURS at a time between feeding & comfort nursing during the first few weeks. I was so exhausted I would fall asleep with her on the boob and wake up an hour later with her still there, suckling every now and then. After her doctor recommended supplementing, I was nursing her, then giving her formula (from a bottle that supports breastfeeding) during the day and strictly breastfeeding at night. By her 2 month appt, she wasn't gaining weight anymore and I was told I needed to offer her formula after every feeding. Seeing as how she was going hours between feedings at night, she was clearly getting something that was enough to satisfy her, it just wasn't enough or wasn't fattening enough. Thus, it came time to make the choice and after having nearly 2 months to adjust, I wouldn't go through it again. I tore myself apart when I was bfing because I felt awful that she wasn't gaining weight and therefore wasn't as healthy a child as she could be. She is healthy and happy now, sleeps 9 hours stretches at night since sometime before 3 months, and is growing. She has already started rolling, is a supported sitter, and babbles all the time...therefore she is not physically/mentally behind her bf peers and she has not been sick thus far, despite the fact that her brother attends kindergarten. So yes, breast may be best, but it doesn't mean it's the right choice for everyone and no mother should feel as though they aren't doing right by their child.

"You don't have to like me, I like me just fine." <---Wise words from a wise man; my grandpa. :)

Comments

• Just to point out a couple things: you CAN breastfeed after surgery. I did :) I also have a glass of wine without pumping and dumping (its no longer necessary because it exits your milk the same as bloodstream) and I do occasionally take my pain medications due to my disease. Most of your pros to breastfeeding are true and convenient, but most of us BFing mommas see it as a sacrifice well worth it, even if it is a slight inconvenience. Once those first few months pass, you have much more freedom just as a formula mommy because baby isn't as needy and doesn't feed as often.

You are correct, breastfeeding isn't always the right choice for every mommy (though it is always the right choice for baby ;) ). Glad that you are proud and happy of your decision to formula feed! And that baby is healthy and happy!
  • Im a breastfeeding mom and I whole heartedly agree with yoü cons of breastfeeding! I really do miss the little things that u could do when my firstborn was formula fed and also the way he had a brilliant routine which my bf baby dont have :( and personally I see no difference in health or happiness in either of my boys first year regardless of what milk they had :)
  • Girl at least u tried :) don't let anyone make u feel bad about it.

And I agree with u...since I FF my first two and now ebf my third...I miss some of that freedom ESP being a migraine sufferer lol. Tho my doctors and pharmacist told me my migraine medicine they prescribed was ok to take because so little goes into my breast milk I still haven't taken it because I am still scared. I suffer till I puke my brains out and the migraine goes away lol.
  • edited May 2012
    I also tried bf but was unsuccessful. I understand this is an open forum and everyone has different opinions, but the comments that get to me are the UNNECESSARY comments such as "my baby will be healthier" or "my chances of getting cancer are a lot lower" oh and the 100000001 posts about how bad formula is. Its funny because its always the same group of ppl posting this stuff and most of them don't even ff. I think 95% of woman that ff know that breast is best, we get it. Ff has went really good for us because:
    We both work ft and its nice that hubby gets to get up at night and help w feedings.
    I don't have to pump while at work
    I don't have to worry about my boobies leaking
    I get to leave the house and have some me time. (get my hair donr, mani/pedi, shopping)
    I can eat and drink whatever the heck I want.
    Most importantly my son is healthy and is very advanced for his age. Not to mention he's such a happy baby.
  • Love this. I ff, i tried bf but never made enough for my daughter. My hubs says i gave up and makes snide comments about me not bf. But i think he likes the connection he gets when he can feed her as well.
  • Love this. :) I couldn't breastfeed because I was having so many siezures after I had my son and then they found a brain tumor....I was in the hospital so much and half the time the siezures made me forget who I was or who my son was. The medication they had me on I couldn't breastfeed while on it. My son is happy, perfect, and healthy! I don't feel like any less of a mom because I ff...it has never bothered me infact.
  • @babyluv, that is so scary. I hope that everything is okay now! And it's really awesome that it doesn't bother you- it shouldn't! You know that you're a great mommy and that's all that matters. Everyone should realize that.
  • I bf and I do sometimes wish someone else could feed her :(
  • Thanks ladies! I thought of another one....lol.

WEARING A REGULAR BRA ALL THE TIME! I spent those few months in a nursing bra 24/7 unless I was showering. I missed my bras that didn't have the ability to expose my nipple. :)

@captivated I never said it wasn't a worth while sacrifice, but in my case, I wasn't willing to sacrifice her heal purely to satisfy my desire to breastfeed.

@myheartzx3 Which med do you take for your migraines? They gave me fiorecet while I was preggo after 3 days of a marathon migraine.

@babyluv That is scary! What did they ever figure out? Glad you are ok now!
  • I wear regular bras, Im too cheap to get nursing bras lol
  • @Captivated @misskristin yeah it was scary and it made me so sad that I missed out on so much with Owen...we ended up having to move in with my parents for 4 months so someone could watch me and Owen. I did so many tests in the town I was at which showed that I had epilepsy...when I spent 3 days in the hospital with non-stop siezures they sent me to the Mayo clinic! So many ppl were joining us in prayer. We ended up having a prayer meeting before going and I had a break through! I never had another siezure and when I went to the Mayo Clinic they didn't find any signs of epilepsy....I have been siezure free for 7months I believe...I'm losing count lol. The tumor is fine...it's in the center of my brain so they don't want to remove it unless it grows...at my last MRI it was still the same size so I go back in a year :) God is so amazing! I now can take care of my son all by myself!
  • @Captivated yes I am a great mom haha not perfect by any means but Owen knows I love him so much! I never even realized ff and bf was such a big deal until ppl were getting upset. I never even thought about it....everyone is a good mommy no matter how they feed their babies!
  • @babyluv, I don't think it is anything to be offended over either. When I had to stop BFing my daughter, I felt horrible for the first day, but never bothered me after to see others talk about the benefits of BM or cons of FF! Women are just too emotional!
  • They gave me sumatriptan which I was taking before but lowered the dose...I still don't wanna take it tho lol
  • i coukdnt prodice milk ;( i had to formula feed. I always wonder what it would be like if i was born in the 1800's and couldnt bf so what would I do? i always think i'd buy milk off other moms lol. idk if they had formula back then lol
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @mommylovessparkle, nope, they didn't! Formula came out in the late 1800s
  • @babyluv That is amazing! :) I survived a brain aneurysm in 2000...prayer is an amazing thing!
  • @mommylovessparkle Obviously there wasn't any other option during that time, but can you imagine another woman bfing your child? If this were still practiced today, I would choose formula over a wet nurse. The thought of another woman having that bond with my baby makes me sick. Pumping & donating is different, I'm talking baby on boob.
  • @misskristen i would feel like so much less of a mother and so sad and depressed that she can provide for my baby and i couldnt, you know. but no matter what i'd be feeling i'd make sure my baby would take her milk.
  • Agreed! ^^ if I knew of a wet nurse I would allow it! I even looked into getting donated milk from the milk bank but it's to pricey for us. I would much rather my baby have breastmilk no matter the source than artificial formula.
  • I agree with @homebirthadvocate and @ashley_smashley. Knowing my child would be receiving the benefits of breastmilk would trump my jealousy :)
  • (...probably should have kept my opinion to myself...don't want to start anything again...)
  • My husband wasn't to sure about getting milk from moms that wasn't tested...do you know how safe that is? @homebirthadvocate
  • Las Vegas @kristaf22 the closest human milk bank is Cali and they charge $3 on ounce plus shipping...Ollie only needs probably between 8 and 12 oz a day to supplement.