Getting baby to chew?

How do I teach him too chew? I'm scared he will choke on things so I dont give anything he can choke on. Any ideas? He is 6 months old

Comments

• I dont think you can teach them. My lo is 6 months and she chews. Not very good but good enough.
  • My lo is also 6 months and can kinda chew. I.don't think that's something you can teach. You just have to watch him while he eats and let him practice
  • Lol my baby is 8 months n will not chew n I called myself showing him and he will mock chewing up until the food goes into his mouth lol
  • edited May 2012
    It's learned, this is why you start with pureed and then work your way through textures. I started Lily at about 6.5 months and slowly introduced foods. Now, at 10 months she's chewing, bananas, peaches, apples and cheese. She still struggles with some textures. Keep in mind all babies are different.
  • Oh and once baby is comfortable with pureed foods, the dissolvable finger pinch treats are great practice.
  • Finger pinch treat what's that?
  • It's like the Gerber puffs
  • Savanah is 7 1/2 months and chews her yogurt melts, gerber puff things, bananas (chopped up), little pieces of oranges, the baby chettos, baby cookies and a few other things with no problems and she just kinda caught on herself no help here sorry!

*BUMP*
  • Yeah o just stocked up on Gerber stuff anything that says CRAWLERS is what I got. Ember is 6 months as well she watches everything when she's at the table so I think that helps too!!! Hope it works out for him!!!
  • I cut up a banana really small and put it on his tray and let him play. He started chewing after the first piece or two.
  • I chew so he can watch me And do it himself.. My lo can eat ANYTHING lol.. Even chips
  • I have never done pureed with all three of my kids. My lo cant chew either, shes 6.5 months and no teeth. I just give her pieces of food she can try to pick up and put in her mouth that she swishes around with her tongue lol.
    The gag reflex is closer to the front of the mouth in babies like a defense mechanism so it may seem like lo is choking, baby is learning :)
  • Thats good to know I would deff think he'd be choking lol I guess moma just needs too loosen up lol