All natural births

edited August 2012 in Giving birth
So Im watching an old Keeping Up with the Kardashians. The one where Kourtney is watching the all natural water birth. Omg. Im in pain just watching the girl in labor. I had an epi and felt absolutely nothing the whole time. Idk what a contraction even feels like.

Just wanted to say BIG PROPS to all you ladies who went all natural during your labor/birth! You rock!

Comments

• I give big props to them as well!! I would love to have a natural birth! I tried with Ollie but the pain was out of this world, and after 3 days of no sleep and constant painful contractions I was exhausted. I actually would fall asleep while pushing.
  • edited August 2012
    It's a fight of true will. I was induced after waters broke and labor hadn't budged in 4 hours. Was taking the pain like a champ, very tolerable. It was the nausea I couldn't take, eeek. I tried breathing exercises, then anti-nausea medication. Didn't help. As I approached 6 cm, the pain was, I'd say a 4.5-5 of 10, but the nausea was 11 of 10! I think I'll look into how to cope with nausea, if I have a next round. Yuck!

Kudos, to the ALL NATURAL mommies!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @ashley_smashley 3 days w/o sleep and contractions? Omg. I cant imagine. I was induced, broke water, started Pitocin, got epi all at 8am, slept until time to at 5 and baby at 5;09. I cant imagine what you went through.

@mijita oh ive heard the nausea can be outrageous.

@mama_kat omg I would have been cussing someone, probably everyone actually. Lol. Are the IV meds as strong as an epi? Do they numb everything completely or just knock off some of the pain?
  • It was so awful! I went to the hospital twice but they sent me home because I wasn't progressing. They told me to take Tylenol and wait it out...the last time I left the hospital in tears bc they wouldn't help me. I went home and cried for any hour...passing out between contractions. Finally my husband picked me up put me in the car, drove me to the hospital and told them he was not leaving until they helped me. It was the sweetest thing he has ever done! I told him I wasn't going back there because they disnt care about me...that was when he picked me up.
  • I wish my labor was as smooth as yours! I have been looking into meditative labors. I think that may help me control the pain.
  • @ashley_Smashley thats awful they'd let you leave hurting like that. And so sweet of your husband. A nurse at my clinic used meditation during her labor and said she didnt even know she was at an 8 when she finally went to the hospital. Definitely worth something looking into. I have a high pain tolerance but as smooth as my first delivery was, Ill walk into l&d ready for another epi.
  • It was a military hospital...they don't care....

I have a high pain tolerance as well..but those contractions were out of this world! That's awesome the nurse was able to control her pain! I hope I will be like that! But if I try and truly can't then I will have no qualms with the epi! LoL
  • I gave in to an epidural right when it was time for me to start pushing because i couldn't handle the contractions.. :-ss @-)
  • There very strong if they can handle it all natural, a huge congrats to them!!!
  • I had 17 hour natural birth first time and 2 hours 10 mins the next... would take the 17 hours over 2 as the pain was a lot more manageable... loved both my birth experiences though and I'm happy I was able to do it naturally :-)
  • @tinka1326 17 hours!? Oh me. You go, mama!
  • I've had 3 natural births and found them.awsome, although the last one my lo had shouler dystoxia (sp) and they think it could happen again so I might go for an epi this time x
  • My first was with epi. My second was a Med free water birth. I must admit I loved the Med free and plan on doing that from here on out. I had nursing students observing that were completely unnerved by how calm I was during it all. I never raised my voice or even cried. I did gag once right before I delivered...haha, still don't know why. I laughed and joked with the nurses and played on Fb until about and hr before I delivered
  • OK so my wife had induction with daughter and an epidural that was only part effective as labour was 4hrs start to finish. Middle son was all natural on the side of the road delivered by me and a country nurse as labour was 11 mins water breaking to birth. Last son was induced but no meds or pain relief and labour was about 15 minutes from water breaking.

I love my wife so much for being able to go through all that when I consider what I was like when I was stabbed lol.

Congrats to all you mums whether drug free or doped to the max.
  • I was so determined that I was going to go all natural and once ny dr did my final cervix check it felt like his hand was going to come out of my throat...that's when I changed my mind headed to l & d and said epidural please haha
  • @cheryl74 what is that? Ive never heard of it. 3 all natural, awesome! What, if any, techniques helped you with the pain?

@0utlaw_Sphinx omg that's awesome! I cant imagine being all natural and laughing. I was the same way BUT i had meds. What helped you main the pain?

@dadof2n1togo thats so sweet of you to say about your wife. Those are the quickest labors Ive ever heard of! Wow. Delivered on the side of the road? What an entrance to the world!

@kenzie0713 it feels like that every time my doc checks my cervix now. I want to cry and ask for an epi every single time. Lol.
  • It's where there shoulder gets stuck and its difficult to get the baby out. Can be quite dangerous for baby. They're gonna have a team on hand this time though. They keep on at me about a c sect but I've refused...... I can't really give any techniques to help but just remember the pain doesn't last forever and each contraction is a step closer to meeting your lo. I'm in UK as well and midwifes here don't push pain relief. And it helped with #2 as I didn't know I was in Labour until they finally checked me at 11.40am and I had her at 11.45 lol. Good luck, also remember that giving birth is the most natural thing you will ever do. Trust your body, it knows what to do, even when you don't xxx
  • I was induced (pitocin) with my twins. Not a single drop of pain meds, and my labor was 11ish hours (I'd already been at a 4cm for 2 weeks). Delivered them vaginally about 14 minutes apart. I felt like a badass. Lol
  • I think my dr did something to help dialate me more which worked but hurt like a s.o.b!!
  • @1stWoodsBaby I'll be honest, I think it was the water ans the freedom to move how I wanted or needed. It was a far cry from my first delivery. The nurses wouldn't let me get off my back ans while my midwife was supportive, she only came in to check me when I was admitted and caught my son when it was time. I begged, pleaded, and bargained with God and the turned the air blue swearing. And omg, the vomitting. This midwife stayed with me almost the entire time. Only leaving for her daughters dinner party because I told her I'd be laboring awhile yet. (Lol, and she brought me a plate :D) I did everything I wasn't supposed to like eating. My midwife told me to do what I felt my body needed. Oh, and I talked to myself. My husband cracked everyone up including me when a particularly strong and long contraction had me reassuring and praising myself. He said "shall I leave you and you alone so you can chat in peace?" Lmao, he's a punk. I think he felt kind of useless because this time I didn't really need him. Or not in a way he would see.
  • @1stWoodsBaby Im very sensation oriented so concentrating on the water on my skin or the tub wall against my arms.I wont lie, there was a couple of times that the contractions seemed like they would never end and I'd start to panic. But, I'd just talk myself down :)
  • I went all natural with my son and had him only 30 mins of pushing guess I was just lucky! But I plan on going all natural again with the son I'm carrying now!
  • edited August 2012
    I've had 5 natural & 4 with epi, & totally agree with @homebirthadvocate , it depends on your support system & of course each individual situation. I wasn't progressing with my last & I went for the epi. It ended up he had the cord around his neck 3 times, was 9 lb 11 oz, had shoulder dystosia & meconium. As much as I hate getting an epi, it helped me that time to relax & stop fighting my body. If I had more support I might not have needed it.
  • Why thank you :D ..hehe.. but I must say..I had it easy..I really did.. now to women who in labor for so many hrs -days and have a natural birth. N drug free! Whoaaa, I'm impressed!
  • I've had 5 kids with no drugs. Leilas birth was 22 minutes 5 pushes.
  • I would take long labors over my short ones! They arent THAT bad when it comes to pain or maybe its just because I was in a birth pool? lol. You do go into a trance like state, I know I did and slept for a min until another contraction came. I have labors lasting 3 hours and less! And transition lasts like 5 min for me haha. But I ate when I felt like it or walked or rested (thats the beauty of homebirth!)
  • I had that birth, too @Ashley_smashley over 4 days of labor. Ugh! I really wanted a natural birth, but ended up with a c-section, much to my dismay. I really hope it goes a little smoother this time. The water did definitely take the edge off though. I was much more uncomfortable out of the tub. But that Kardashian episode has been haunting me too @1stwoodsbaby