How to calculate daily protein need

Some have asked about macronutrient (Carbs, Protein, Fats) recommendations and if they are getting enough within their daily diets. It can be somewhat daunting when trying to incorporate a nice healthy lifestyle change within our busy and demanding lives. I'll try to make it as simple as possible.

Current recommendations suggest that our macronutrients should be consumed within the following ranges...

Carbohydrates: 45 - 65%
Protein: 10 - 35%
Fat: 20 - 35%

Depending on lifestyle activities (i.e. very active, pregnant), these ranges shift into higher proportion of protein and lower proportions of carbohydrates. The percentages are a percentage of total calories consumed per day.

My main purpose of posting this discussion is to elaborate on protein recommendations. The average sendentary person requires 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight. The requirement does increase if you are very physically active (intense weight training), so take that into consideration.

Example: 150 pound female

150/2.2kg = 68.2 kg ; (conversion to kg)

68.2 * 0.8 = 54.5 g ; (calculation of protein requirement)

Therefore, approximately 55 g of protein is the recommended daily requirement for a 150 pound female.

@Wilsomom; I hope this helped.
:-D

Comments

• Yes, thank you. Now, where to get the protein from without eating meat. :-?
  • Legumes, beans, edamame, quinoa and many starchy vegetables; peas, corn, broccoli, artichokes, chickpeas, spinach, potatoes, etc. It's everywhere, lol.
  • Oh yay, I like a lot of those! Lol
  • Mmmmmm I love quinoa. I am having a heck of a time staying at my weight I just keep losing. I need help and checked for vitamin loss
  • I know there percentages are totally different for children, but generally speaking, if my daughter is eating more starchy foods (squash, potatoes, peas), and not much meat, is she getting anywhere close to enough protein? I was just thinking about asking you how to incorporate more protein into her diet! Also.. I know that its not the best option, but when she's going thru her spells of not eating, is she actually getting any nutrients from vegetable flavored snacks (like gerber sweet potato puffs, happyfoods spinach and kale puffs)? Some is better than none, right?
  • @Bahamamama4828, are you vegan?

@lucyloo288; Yes, some nutrition is better than none -- always. However, the foods you mentioned about (peas and potatoes) are good sources of protein. Plus, if she's consuming milk/formula/BM, then she's getting adequate protein and I wouldn't stress too much. The macronutrient requirement for children is significantly less than adults and it doesn't take much for them to meet their needs.
  • No just mostly lean meats and even then its not much.
    This is my daily food plan I make fruit and yogurt smoothies and whole wheat toast. Or oatmeal and I juice. My snacks are nuts or trail mix. Lunch is home made pizza with cheese and spinach. Dinner is a veggie meat and a starch. That's not all I eat that's just an example lol. My cal in take is roughly1800-2000 I just can't seem to add more.
  • edited September 2012
    Thxnk you! You've really eased my mind. Xx
  • edited September 2012
    Do you like avavodos @bahamamama4828 ? Those are nutrient dense with some natural fat. I make my guacomole with frozen peas and cannellini beans mixed in. Maybe that would help add some weight in a good way.
  • @wilsomom I love avocados! I do try to incorporate healthy fats into my diet. I'm at a loss
  • Have you checked for hyperthyroidism? @bahamamama4828
  • That's the last thing on my list if nothing else helps. I gain weight fine pregnant but after I lose to much @wilsomom
  • I hope you figure it out, I have the opposite problem! Lol :)
    @bahamamama4828
  • @Bahamamama4828; You sound like my mom, she's barely 5' weighs 103 lbs (after 7 kids) and can eat like a horse. She just has a super metabolism.

Have you thought of adding a protein supplement into your morning smoothie, incorporating an Ensure as a snack and adding more calorie dense foods into mealtimes?

If you are anything like my mom, the more she eats, the more she loses. She's super active too.
  • That's me! I'm 5’1" and around 95lbs. I have tried the ensure and they don't work for me. I'm not that active except playing with my 2 year old. Even my chiropractor is worried and wants to go over a plan
  • I figured out my protein requirements based on the formula and now I know what to shoot for....I must say I'm not getting anywhere NEAR enough. What are the consequences of not enough protein? I'm also ALWAYS low on my iron and calcium. Do I need to supplement? Thanks for your help!!! =)
  • Because you have thyroid issues, I'd ask your physician about supplementation. In the meantime eat foods high in iron and calcium. Many foods are fortified or enriched with both these minerals.

@wilsomom
  • @wilsomom; it is, have you looked at one of my daily diaries? I do all the above except for starches after 6. :p

I believe I've told you many of these things as well. I love when people get validation from other sources because I think then the message sticks.
  • Bump for MyFitnessPal.
  • You're welcome!

People have the mentality that they have to starve themselves to lose weight. You actually need to eat for that to happen; eating a rounded wholesome diet.

Here is an analogy...

In order to keep your car running efficiently and to give it longevity you have to tend to it. You need to make sure the fluids (water) are kept up, that you keep it running (exercise) without long periods of being parked and you have to keep it gassed up (calories/energy). If these things aren't done eventually it loses its efficiency. A car can only go so far on one tank of gas (breakfast), and you have to keep refueling (lunch, dinner, snacks) if you want to make the day trip.

We are the same way. If we don't tend to ourselves then we become less efficient and sluggish.

I hope this helps. :)

@brodysmamma
  • That's very true I never thought of it that way!
  • I knew you would like it cause it sounds just like what you tell us all! :) I liked the 1 through 7 approach.
  • @mijita.. ok a little confused. Where does the 2.2kg come from. Trying to understand all this.
  • There are 2.2 kg in 1 pound. It's used to convert pounds into kilograms.

@YNVTish
  • @mijita can you suggest proteins to eat.
  • edited July 2013
    There is protein in just about everything we eat. The trick is finding the good sources. Where dairy and meats are concerned, it's good to focus on the leaner options. This site has a good description that I would tell
  • @Reneerose0828; Here is another bump for you.