6 alternative time outs {please see update at top}

13»

Comments

• We understand what the article is saying. Can't people state their opinions about it whether they agree or disagree with the article?
  • edited October 2012
    Ashley, you seem to not be able to take the criticism of this topic very well. You're coming off pretty condescending at this point.
  • I think I am tired of people just posting that this will never work blah blah..when I don't believe they are getting the point of the article...

And you can think I am condescending all you want I don't really care @mamalove
  • They do get the point. They just don't agree. If you can't accept that then I don't know what to tell you... That's not their problem.

I never said you were, I said you were coming off that way

"Welp that's to bad".... Come on now. Lets be adults here.
  • Smh...I am pretty sure I have allowed everyone to fully voice their negative opinions on this topic and have barely said jack about it. 60 comments worth of negative opinions here actually. And I have been very adult about all of this. The last comment maybe not so much but you know what I am just over it. I should have known better than to post a parenting type thread.
  • I won't comment back again on this so feel free to have the last word. And good night!
  • Okay... Who needs a hug?

>:D<

No worries ladies... Our kids are loved, fed and disciplined. We're all doing something right.
  • edited October 2012
    @CristinaLynn You know I can't beleive that girls mother didn't knock her for a loop. If I had anyone try to kick me in the stomach kid or not she would have been flat on her ass.

I am sorry but here is some parenting info be careful who you let ur kids hit, because some of us won't leave it to you. I would have pulled her leg right out from under her little ass then dared her mother to say something. And growing up I knew if I did something that stupid and the adult didn't crack my ass my dad would in front of them.
  • Well excuse me. I'll just tell you what you want to hear next time, since having an opinion is obviously a crime around here :)
  • @char She almost did lol!! In that situation she needed to be spanked...and then some. She was taught to never be punished though, so I honestly felt bad for the little girl :-/ She saw no abuse, her parents were wonderful Christian people that felt love being shown is more powerful. It very obviously didn't work for them. I think she did all of that because children thrive from boundaries. They crave stability with discipline just as much as they crave that love. They completely ruined that girl in my opinion. It was sad to watch.
  • edited October 2012
    @CristinaLynn I agree, but to let that go when she could have harmed my child thats just not me. I looked threw this article when my son decided 2-4 was play time.lol like many on this site said I use this with him because it is age appropriate he is 1.

Shoot my nephew gets spanked and then time out at four by his dad. His mom does I love u and hugging stuff. Give one guess who I threaten to tell when he acts up, and if they aren't around time out it is.
  • Wow why am i just seeing this ridiculous article right now? It can be okay for children 2.5 and under though. I just don't see how if you give your older child a hug and make her laugh is going to teach her not to do it again. I for one don't see a time out as a bad thing. It gives the mom and child a break and sometimes helps the situation. Some people look too deeply into every little thing (the article writer)

***by no means was i reffering to anyone's child i was just saying in general.
  • Personally, I would use maybe two of these techniques when my kids are older.. I've read about re-dos in other articles and always thought they were a good idea and kids could really learn something from them. But I've never heard of using them because the parent and child weren't "connecting" and to me that's pretty silly. Going back to the age appropriate punishments, diverting a whiney one year old with laughter seems pretty legit.
  • I actually think I would try this out.. do the hug, which I believe will help us not get more angry and say something silly then, THEN say nicely, you need to go into timeout..
    I can actully see that working w/my son
This discussion has been closed.