Gatorade=Increased milk supply

edited February 2012 in Breastfeeding
Hi ladies. I havent been on in a long time. I mostly lurk now. On my other pregnancy forum someone mentioned a few weeks ago how they tried drinking gatorade to increase their milk supply and it worked. My milk "dried up" when my lo turned 4 weeks (I dont know why) Well I buy gatorade whenever its on sale. Without even thinking about my milk, Ive been drinking it for the past 3 days and I felt something I havent felt in weeks. I started leaking again. Yesterday while sitting at the dinner table I actually felt my "let down" My breasts started to tingle out of nowhere. Yesterday abd today whenever I would squeeze them, they would squirt (sorry tmi) its something I wasnt able to do for awhile. Well today I got curious and decided to test them out. Madi not only got milk but she was able to latch on! (she would only latch with the nipple shield before) Im going to go out tomorrow and stock up on some more of the miracle juice. I was so sad when I had to stop bf, but now I get to start again. Im so glad that the poster passed that on to the board. So if no one knew about it (or even if you did) Im passing it on to you gals. I hope Im able to help someone just like she was able to help me.

Comments

• edited February 2012
    Btw my lo is 7 weeks.
  • O man I am sending my husband out the door to 7-11 right now for some!! Thanks for the tip!! How much have you been drinking per day?
  • Good to know...I love Gatorade
  • I'm thinking it's because Gatorade hydrates you. Totally weird!
  • edited February 2012
    @kristaf22 and @ashley_smashley Ive been drinking one 32 oz a day.
  • Yes Gatorade is the best cheap alternative! Congrats!
  • @DevineDesign someone said that its because of the electrolytes. Since gatorade is used to hydrate you when you sweat and since breastfeeding is somewhat of a form of sweating. The gatorade replenishes you. Idk if I explained it right but the way she did made sense. The op said a Lactation Consultant recommended it to her.
  • O hecks yes! lol...my supply has been lagging and the fenugreek is to harsh on my LOs tummy!
  • @ashley_smashley after I had my lo it was hard for me to keep up with my water intake. So Im guessing that had somethibg to do with my supply slowly going down. Its alot easier for me to drink gatorade and it doesnt hurt her tummy. I actially gave up but now Im going to try and get my milk back.
  • Omg this gives me hope. Ive been trying to get my supply back for awhile & nothing happens. Its so discouraging. Im going to give this a try.
  • @Mimii36 I was hoping you saw this. I remember you wanting to increase your supply awhile back. Good Luck :)
  • @babybubba123111 yep im still trying! Hopefully this will get a little something going.
  • Aldi has a knock off brand of gatorade. The fruit punch taste exactly like the real gatorade and I believe they are only 69 cents each for the 32 oz ones.
  • edited February 2012
    @homebirthadvocate what do you think will this work?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Also the ones with protien work because protein helps us produce milk. I have been doing this for about a month now since I am not able to pump as much as my son eats when I am at work my suppley was going down a lot so everyday I eat 3 cliff bars (they also help) drink a ton of water and 1 gatorade or 2 sometimes.
  • Gatorade is gona make some money off this thread! Lol! I hope it helps. I know Im dehydrated and don't drink enough water. Im always nauseas and dizzy when I nurse. Soon as I read this I went out and bought some. Thanks!
  • My bf just came home with 4 32oz bottles lol
  • Lol mine to! I drank one last night and it did help a little...I am gonna keep drinking them for a few days and see what happens.
  • Awesome! I'm going to get some today!
  • i'm gonna try it!!!!!!!!! thanks :-D
  • Pedialyte has more electolytes than gatorade. Gatorade also has a TON of sodium.
  • edited February 2012
    Wow...I think I should drink one a day because this lil piggy always seems be soo hungry at night and drinker empties me out lol

So happy that u got her to latch tho! Keep it up maddisOn
  • edited February 2012
    @everyone To anyone who tries it and gets results can you guys give us an update?

@myHEARTZx3 it wouldnt hurt to try. Im glad you are having success with breastfeeding. I orignally wanted to stop at 2 months but then when it dried up at a month I was sooo sad. Now I want it back...lol I will probably stop at 6 months if I get my supply back
  • I sure will I'm almost done with my bottle lol
  • I'm always thinking I run out of milk at night because she gets fussy and nurses long but the LC say that my breasts are never empty but it sure feels like it lol. But she's gaining a lot so I'm sure I have enough but I'm just a worrier haha
    I hope u get ur supply back up...did u try fenugreek or anything else? Is there a reason why she wouldn't latch before?

I bought a case at sams club. I'll let u know if I see a difference :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ok second night in a row I drank the Gatorade before bed, and second morning in a row I have woken up so engorged it was painful! Gonna start drinking the Gatorade in the middle of the day now! Man, thanks for the tip!
  • I personally always drank gatorade every time I was bf including now every day bc I crave it! I have never had any probs with supply and never had to do anything like pump or nothing for a better supply. I just nurse on demand a lot and drink lots of gatorade ;)