not sure if this makes me a bad mommy to be

edited March 2011 in Pregnant
i am horrified at the thought of my baby having "black" hair... my bf is black and i am hawaiian filipino white n. american and i am scared that my baby will be born with a fro!!! i dont mind curly hair but its the kinky tight aaaahhhh hair that i have nightmares about... how am i supposed to take care of it never having dealt with it before... im sooo scared...

Comments

• Just do what I'm going to do keep my sons hair cut short like army buzz like his Dad does he's cuban and has wirey curly hair and he buzzes it like every week
    I like the short hair anyway i don't think boys should have long hair an inch is too long for me lol
  • It will be OK my daughter has kinky curly hair and we just had to get into a routine of moisturizing and brushing everynight.
  • im having a lil girl... :-((
  • Me and my husband are both white but my husband has some bushy hair and my son does too. My husbands in the army so they make him cut his hair thank god, but I keep my sons hair high n tight too cause if i didn't he'd look neglected.
  • Wow. U make it seem like its something wrong with black ppl hair. Smh
  • @babyboyontheway ^^^ that comment was for you^^^

@ghettobetty but isn't it hard... i love my bf's hair but it's short and i dont need to style it... but with my daughter i doubt my bf will help with her hair
  • Lots of conditioner and brush often makes it easy to handle took me 4 years to figure it out. Braids no good no rubberbands every where just ponies and twisties keep her hair healthy and beautiful.
  • Its hard until u get the routine down and stick to it!
  • Maybe she get precious curl hair so that is beautiful but if she get. Afro them is not a big deal in YouTube you can find videos about how to make awesome hair style for afro.
  • And afro hair is beautiful too. Just need practice
  • @firstmama no i dont mean there's something wrong with it just i dont have experiance with it and i am worried that im just gonna give up with it and let it do what it does... im scared that if it is like "black" hair i wont be able to keep her pretty because i dont know how to maintain it... but like i said above i love my bf's hair (which is "black") i would just prefer it to be like my hair...

@cetheridge if i had a lil boy it would be sooo much easier... and thn i wouldn't care but with my lil girl i already feel like ive neglected it..
  • The best thing with mixed baby hair is conditioner its my best friend. I'm only so confident because I've struggled for years with my daughters hair before I figured it out. And don't let everyone tell you how u should b doing or what's best for your daughters hair. Find what u like and what your comfortable with and stick to it. It will make life easier.
  • Hair is hair. Just needs moisture. Black hair just have life to it instead of bein limp. N hopefully he has family to help
  • @ghettobetty thanks for the tip... is there any other tips that might make it easier to deal with since its probably inevitable...
    @keylanieq thanks ill go look it up and start studying now... maybe i should make bf grow his hair so i can practice...
  • My daughters hair is super long and healthy. No perms no straightening. Naturally beautiful hair.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @firstmama we dont live anywhere near his family(in mississippi we live in hawaii) so it scares me to think that people will say i neglect my baby because i can't or dont know how to manage her hair
    @ghettobetty thanks for your tips... im gonna go look up some techniques...
  • Where in my comment did u get that i think black hair is bad? I said the father is cuban. And i don't think black hair is bad. My godson has amazing hair its thick and curly and afro as hell but his Mom does his hair real nice and he looks good. I just think with MY boys' hair it is better short like army buzz.
  • @firsttimemommytobe either way i will love my baby to the fullest just i would prefer my hair or inbetween ... so i know how to manage it..

@ghettobetty that is the best i can hope for
  • Personally I know how to do it all my bd had long hair and I learned how to perm, hot comb, hot oil treatments, I can braid great. I even make money on the side doing it. But when it comes to my daughters hair stay away from grease and oils too heavy for herr hair clogs the pours and braids and rubbervands break the hair. I find a good conditioner put it all through her hair and brush slowly from bottom to top. Then style with a pony tale or acouple ponies with no break hair ponies to not break the hair. Its time consuming brushing every night but worth it. If it goes too long without being brushed it'd impossible to deal with or style. Good Conditioner and a lot of it us hey.
  • @babyboyontheway no my first comment was for you about me having a lil girl... sorry those two comments popped up while i was typing it... i didnt mean to make it sound like you had said anything wrong... im am extremely sorry for the mistake... i just said that i was having a girl so keeping her shaved would look 2x as bad...
  • Sorry I kept going on just went through hell trying to figure out how to control it and finally have! And it feels so good! Was such a relief when I figured out what works best for us... good luck!
  • Dont worrie you will do it great. Im agree with @ghettobetty natural is the best... my grandmom is black so my sister and i get really curly hair them we start at teenage to get streightening products and i wish i has never do it.
  • @ghettobetty once again thanks for all the tips... and my bf has short hair and even he hopes our daughter will have my hair because he doesnt know anything about it... maybe ill move by you and just hire you to do it... lolz
  • Do what I'm doing...... I'm practicing my braiding skills lol
  • Hair is not just hair in my opinion. There are different types and textures of hair.
    @jalem In most cases when a child is mixed with black, that type of hair is more dominant. My daughter is mixed and so is my unborn. My daughter has long, dry, curly hair. Would u like to know the products I use for her hair?
  • LOL don't come here too cold! I used to pay people to do her hair too braiding a 2 3 or4. Or even 5 year old yea right! I don't have the patients and don't believe in beating their ass so they will sit n get their hair done. When iT hurts!
  • @ghettobetty i will take all that everyone offers because i am like a newborn when it comes to hair... all i do to mine is brush it and put it in a pony...

@keylanieq natural is best... got it... dont use straightening products.. ok... you are saviors..
  • I have to agree with @firstmama that I was thinking the same thing when I saw the original post. The other ladies are right conditioning and moisterizing are key. There will actually be some things that you can do with black hair texture that white hair texture won't do. Chances are a mixed baby will have some type of natural curl which is even more fun to play around with. I think the "unkept" look on a child with lots of curly hair is cute as longs as it not frizzy. Check out the "mixed chicks" line of hair products developed by interracial chemists specifically for interacial hair types. Also (my personal favorite), "Carols Daughter", a natural hair care line. The developer has a product specifically for children to bring out they're natural curl. She developed it for her own biracial son.
  • @proudmomma braiding is not my strong suit...

@lovingmykids i would love to have some tips on what you do... lolz