not sure if this makes me a bad mommy to be

Comments

• Omg i thought something else too lol nvm i was kinda confused about that too like why would she think i meant something bad lol but yeah girls r a different story. Find a friend or coworker or neighbor who does black hair good and u could just pay to have her do your daughters hair and keep it up. Its cheaper than a salon and my friend does it for her neighbours kids for like half the price an it lasts a couple weeks or more
  • Comin from a mother who has three girl and all of them have thick hair the texter rangest from omg I just cut myself to soft and curly :) but again they all have a lot of hair... I keep my girls hair braided with beads or in a lot of ponytails and barrets.. never will I put a prem in their hair I believe their too young and it damages the hair.... so just practice you'll get it down... and if not find someone family friends in you area that will do ur daughters hair but I believe u can learn how your self start out with doing ponytail don't be scared to try new things! It'll work out!
  • @mommys1stbundle i am sorry that it came across as a bad thing i did not intend for it to sound that way... what i really was hoping to come across was scared... but i suppose i could have worded it better... thanks for your tips... although i dont believe the unkept look will fly with my bf... he is very, tidy... and i am sure that my baby will have some curl because i have waves... once again i am sorry that it came across wrong..
  • @jalem Its ok really. Your bd's black so you're obviously down with the brown. Lol. Once I kept reading I got it. I think you'll figure out what works for you once your baby gets here.
  • @babyboyontheway yeah boys hair is so much easier to deal with... and i dont know anyone... there arent many black people in my town nor many people who do hair so i am out of luck there but i will look .. thanks for the tips...

@fourandoneontheway thanks for those words of support... i know i will get it eventually just i get so worried that i wont be a good mom and am gonna mess things up... and concidering i no no one with hair like that except my bf... the hair is my biggest worry...
  • @mommys1stbundle oh heck yes im down with the brown aint none better and believe me being raised part time in texas and being mocha colored i got called some really bad racial things as a child i would never have meant that in a bad way...
  • @jenn_929 welcome to my biggest worry... sorry that i had to drag you in...
  • @jalem Like ghettobetty said, it is important to keep her hair combed/brushed. For example, if I dont comb my daughters hair out everyday it will be so tangled and knotted up since she has curly hair. I have had braids put in her hair a few times but will not anymore because everytime I take them down tons of her hair would fall out so I wouldnt reccomend braids. But like the others said, keep the hair moisturized. I use pink moisturizer hair lotion/conditioner and I use kids organic olive and soy oil moisturizing growth lotion. These products wont clog pores, stores and repairs dry weak damaged hair and helps hair grow healthy and moisturized. I also use a detangling spray to help comb her curly hair out. No rubberbands either. Very damaging to hair. :)
  • @lovingmykids how then would i put it up... if i cant use rubber bands... are scrunchies ok...
  • Im white an my bd is jamaican so my sons hair are very curly I was 16 when I had my sons an because he was born with a FULL HEAD of hair I had to look after it. Its not as bad as you think go to a hair shop where they afro hair treatment thay will help you find the right hair treatment shes goin to need as she WILL HAVE AFRO HAIR X
  • edited March 2011
    They make soft ponies even little ones. Fabric ones not rubber.
  • @roxanne thanks... and i know that it is inevitable for her to have kinky curly hair... but i can hope cant i... >.<
  • @ghettobetty so those are like rubberbands...
  • It's a part of being a new mommy, learning how to do new things. You can't stay the same. Instead of worrying about what kind of hair she will have try talking to people who have or do hair like it bd. I am African American and have a fro. Feel free to ask me anything! Basically what everyone says so far is true and remember less is more. Comb/brush, moisturization, and cleanliness is key. Back to basics! You will do great with her hair as long as you are consistently taking care of it. Our hair is just like anyone else's, requiring attention!
  • edited March 2011
    Sort of they don't hold as long but I don't think its good to leave in too long anyways as @lovingmykids said it pulls and breaks they hair makes it fall out. That's why I take hair down and condition and brush nightly its part of bathtime.
  • @hopingwishingpraying unfortunately my bf is the only person i know with "black" hair and i dont know his family well but will be getting more into contact with them as time goes on but dont know how to ask his mom without seeming racist as it happened above... so yall are all ive got
  • @ghettobetty ok so bathtime = hair time... condition, comb (bottom to the top), no rubberbands, take hair out nightly, look for interracial hair products... ok.. got it.. i think.. im screwed...
  • LOL no you will be fine find your own routine and products you like best! You will be fine!
  • @ghettobetty im definately gonna need to call his mom and become friends with her... or i am gonna be pulling my hair out and then we are gonna have 2 hair problems'
  • Just becareful everyone thinks they know best!you find which h is best for you and your daughter :)
  • @jalem there are ponytail holders out there besides rubberbands. They are a little bit bigger than the black rubberbands. U can find them at walmart.
  • I haven't permed my hair in about 4 yrs. Its really thick but good moisturizers and a blow dry works fine. For young kids if u can get to a beauty supply store, Just For Me is good for kids hair, as well as all Always products. Rubberbands are ok as long as u don't put them to tight, and you don't put it on dry hair. As she gets older introduce her to hot oil treatments. Hair breaks when its not properly moistuized and becomes too dry.
  • @ghettobetty do you have to keep your daughters hair up in a ponytail at night to keep from tangling up?
  • Lol. This conversation reminds me of a story my aunt told me. She's white and has two girls who are half Cuban. The oldest has very curly hair and the younger only has waves. My aunt had no idea how to handle frizzy dry hair so she struggled with it for ages. She almost gave up and did dreadlocks on her little girl! Finally she figured out that conditioning is key and now my older cousin gets up nearly 3 hours before school or work to wash, condition, dry, and maintain her hair, but its very long and curls like corkscrews. Super cute!
  • @ghettobetty thanks again for all your help...

@lovingmykids ok.. ill go and look there... thanks..

@firstmama what are hot oil treatments... and how do they work...

@victoriab oh my goodness i dont think i could ever dread my childs hair... but 3 hours is a long time everyday
  • @lovingmykids always! I usually style it the night before in a pony sometimes one braid in the front dangling down if she wants it or ponies and twisties makes life easier getting ready for school in the morning.
  • Jalem, I understand! U r not racist, just unfamiliar with the hair thing. Like u said, the forum is here for u! :) one last note.....its actually not good to comb from root to tip because that can cause a lot of unnecessary wreckage. Better to comb out top to root instead.
  • Oops breakage*
  • ok... sounds grrr8... lolz im tony the tiger now..
  • No professional hair stylist will ever tell you to go root to tip that's more damaging..... Google it or ask someone who does it professionally.