New welfare bill passed....drug testing

Comments

• With in her means**
  • @may1mommatobe I think its funny when people claim they sell drugs cause "they had no other options" there are other options the problem is the other options involve work sometimes sucky pay. People condition themselves to "be entitled" to easy money. My mom grew up in the projects but.as an adult she didnt live off of welfare put herself through college currently working on her doctorate with 3 kids and my dad drove trucks. They struggled but they made something of themselves and didnt live the "im a product of my environment" lifestyle.
  • @cetheridge THANK YOU. WELL PUT
  • @cetheridge I agree I know lifes hard but u just gotta suck it up if that means u work 2+ jobs I think if u take the easy road just be prepared for the cons
  • All I mean is that its a lot better if u ask me to sell a couple bags of stuff that grows from the ground than make ur kids go without the new shoes they want even if they really don't need them.
  • At some point people are gonnaa have to realize marijuana isn't Meth and it doesn't lead to it people lead to it.
  • I see the other side of it. What good is a parent if theyre locked up for selling dope? No financial support or hands on parenting.
  • Im not saying weed is as bad as meth etc. Thats why theres different schedules of drugs. I just see it from the judicial standpoint of illegal is illegal. To me personally i could never in my mind justify selling drugs to be a better parent.
  • Gov asst ain't sh** I get 400 dollars a month n cash and it gets me kno where. Food stamps is like 430 that is enough food to last my family of four two maybe three weeks. But then I wish that I could use it all for us but I have my lil sis who took the college route with her three year old and I front her stamps cause she cries all the time that they have no food cause she can't receive stamps causebottom. Line u have to choose do it your self and suffer or get the asst and suffer they help wit so much but the shit I really need help with like getting a good job make u sit m a class all day on the computer filling out monster.com when we could b learning the way to conduct our selfs at a interview or how to better or resume I can't wait for a good paying job to come thru I'm done wit the gov sum times. I think I would b better of selling drugs but I'm not a nickel n dime person
  • I agree with the bill to an extent, but in ohio they were saying that if you don't pass you will go to jail. I don't see how that is saving any money. In jail they still are spending tax dollars.
  • @jade_may9th ur fs are low because they count your cash asst as income in your household. If u got off the cash, ur fs will increase. Just an FYI...and u should make ur sister apply for fs on her own. As long as she has a child, they will be eligible. But if she doesn't have a kid and goes to school full-time and is not working, then she will not be eligible. Also, they do not count financial aid as income.
  • She has a child he is three n she is not eligible for some reason but I don't mind ahelping my sister I do hair on the side what ever to make ends meet I was just sayin its not that ppl make it seem. ....And as far ppl being well off saying there glad they don't need then that's a lie be cause if they gave foodstamp to everybody rich or poor anybody n there right mind would take them its free food
  • @cetheridge good point about the being in jail part! You took the words right out of my mouth! @huneybee I'm on fs and medicaid. Me and the hubby both work full time. There's nothing wrong with getting assistance...but we also pay taxes. Honestly if we could just keep our taxes that would be more than the 200 in fs every month! If you sell drugs your not paying taxes yet you want the money of others who do? Its not easy to find a job...that's why you have to look and keep trying! I would rather have an honest paying job any day than get easy money selling stuff that can land me in jail. Then who will take care of my kids?!
  • @jade_may9th I can afford to live without gov't assistance and I am VERY glad, not because I don't need or want help but because I'm grateful for the fact that I make enough $$ to get by. If it was handed out to everyone you'd have to be an idiot to turn it down.
    I tried desperately to get gov't assistance when I was laid off--my unemployment ran out two weeks before my son was born and I'd been laid off three days before we closed on our first house (which meant that we couldn't back out on it without losing our huge down payment and ruining our credit). My husband made 20 or 22k a year, I had no income and we had two kids plus all our bills, but the gov't wouldn't include my step-son as a member of our family despite the fact that he lived with us. Had they included him we were well below the financial requirements and would have qualified for f/s at least. I don't think we would have gotten tanf, though. Anyway, I was denied everything from the gov't but qualified for WIC, and let me tell you if it weren't for WIC and the local food banks my family wouldn't have eaten. And to be honest, I could have cared less about the fact that the checks they gave me specified what I could buy and what I couldn't. I would have felt horribly irresponsible if I'd been spending the money that I got on junk food and sh*t when my kids needed nutritious foods. I was just grateful that I was able to find help somewhere. That's not to say that I didn't occasionally splurge and buy my kids something they didn't need, but that was my money that I was using. Now, nearly 5 years later, I can tell you that I am very glad that my life isn't as desperate as it used to be and that my family is in a much better financial position than it was. That said, we only make $500 too much per year to qualify for WIC for our 6 person family, so we aren't swimming in money and we have no savings and nothing left over after each month. I still think this is the beginning of a good idea. I just don't think they implemented it in the best way.
  • Huneybee drugs are drugs bottom line!!! Just cuz ur not selling meth doesnt make it any better....
  • Selling drugs being the only means to survive?! Um last time I checked you can get a job just like the rest of us unless you physically unable to. If your not physically able to, you should be subject to drug testing. Sorry but I don't want my hard earned money going to a drug dealer when someone else could need it more.
  • You can file taxes as a drug dealer and the gov will not do anything to u. It's one of the first things u learn in tax law classes. They don't care because u are paying taxes. Remember how al capone was finally caught? Tax evasion during prohibition.
  • edited April 2011
    @BellaReust
    LOL the other day I pulled up to my WIC appointment and Dshs office in a brand new Hummer .(which BTW I think is a ridiculous vehicle ) My friend let me borrow her car cause I don't even have one anymore.
    Also about the testing at first I thought it would be a great idea,but then I thought about it a little more and we have to think about the children. I'm referring to the comments about having CPS involved, for one thing do you have any idea what its like for children to be taken away from there parents and seperated from there siblings.Most of the older children are put in state shelters with juvinille delinquents who are coming or going to juvi. And Foster homes can be really messed up too. A kid shouldn't have to go without food because there parents make bad decisions. And just cause you smoked some pot does not mean you a bad parent.I know a lot of people who are awesome parents that smoke pot and would never touch hard drugs or even do prescribed drugs. I also know people who are legally prescribed many medications and are horrible parents. I just think there are too many grey areas to support this law.
    "you can't legislate morality "
  • @angieface I dont believe that all people who smoke pot are bad people...if you use the pot to escape your life then there is a problem...and if you have money to WASTE on pot then you have money to feed your children!
  • edited April 2011
    @ashley_smashley
    Some people use pot as an alternative to prescription drugs, why do you think Medical Marijuana is already legal in over 13 states ?Some people feel more comfortable taking something natural and unprocessed then a precribed addictive medication (like Xanax or pain killers for example) Pharmaceutical companies pay Doctors to prescribe these medications.(PS..I do not smoke pot nor will I take most precription medications I prefer herbal home remedys and healthy organic lifestyle)I agree people should not spend money on alcohol ,cigarettes , drugs,pot,anything,before feeding your children or providing for them.
  • edited April 2011
    Hello! It costs more to keep someone in jail than to keep them on gov. assistance. And that's not even covering cost of foster care for their children who get foodstamps and medical coverage on top of what they pay the foster family. This will break up homes.@jade may9....sounds like you have experience. Do you think the most crooked people on welfare are dumb enough to use their own pee?... im pretty sure the most crooked people are the first ones to outsmart the new laws so you wont catch the worhst ones anyway. They just know how to work it. They also know that the worst drugs are out of your system in 2 days . And drugs are not just drugs @kindell. There are drugs that are legal and there are illegal. There are legal drugs derrived from illegal drugs, and there are legal drugs that used in the wrong way are life threatening and addictive. Pot just relaxes you but meth can make you see things that arent there or make you so crazy you could kill. I work in the medical field and have seen people go nuts from the wrong perscription drugs.There is so much grey area ... its not that simple. I know some people who are assholes who have a legal licence to grow and use. What are they going to do about them? They were busted by the cops with A huge grow op. And the cops just let them go ...no charges. Maybe the government should figure out if they want to legalize it or not before they move on to drug testing people. After these people got busted is when the government gave them the legal licence to grow! They weren't supposed to be able to apply with a drug record...but the gov. Didn't even bother to check their background! So to me this drug testing is absurd since all of this is going on.
  • Is it that simple if you can go to jail for selling it..... U shouldnt do it :) meth/coke/and pot are all drugs....u can go to jail for all of them....they all get you high!
  • I love the idea and I have been drug tested I many jobs in my life time. Not because they think I'm in drugs but because its a safety concern for the public.
  • Im not on it but its a good idea. It helps make sure the ppl who try to get on gov pay are ppl who deserve it and dont use it on drugs. Although i wish they would refund the money if they passed..
  • Ok, this is going to make some people mad...Bottom line, pot is currently ILLEGAL in this country. Doesn't matter if you spend $10 a month or $50 a month on it. If you have that extra money to blow, you shouldn't be asking the gov. for help. Gov. assistance is for families that NEED help putting food on their tables and a roof over their heads. If you don't want the gov. telling you to take a pee test first to get aid, maybe you should not apply for it. Ultimately the choice is yours.
  • Didn't anyone hear what I said? There are thousands of people with a legal licence to grow and use marajuana. That licence was given to them by the government! Its not totally illegal.
  • @rhondala71 I am sure that if they have a script for it then they wouldnt be penalized for testing positive for it!
  • it IS illegal if you dont have a script for it!