Advice for first time moms/dads from a first time mom (and for anybody else lol)... Probably TMI.

Okae for those who are as confused as I was for this mothering (and fathering lol) I will answer any questions, but here are a few things I have learned in the past week...
1. Best toilet paper is quilted northern extra plus. It is more expensive, but so worth it. (tmi alert) it doesnt leave a,lot of residue in "there" that is a pain to dig out.
2. GRAB THAT BOTTLE FOR RINSING DOWN THERE THAT THEY GIVE YOU AT THE HOSPITAL!!! If you forget it (like I did) use any old squirt bottle with warm water. It helps so much. I have a water bottle with a squirt top that works well. It squirts a lot but works fine anyway.
3. Dab not wipe. (self explanatory.)
4. Have breast pads ready.
5. Grab as much stuff at the hospital as possible. Such as diapers, wipes, and pads.
6. Have a breast pump ready as well (your boobs will thank you.)
7. The hospital pads are fine, but when you need more. Ultra absorbent with wings is a must it saves your underwear.
8. Loose underwear is amazing, it helps a lot. Not too loose but enough that it doesn't cling to your butt. Boy shorts are great, but more expensive.
9. Have quick meals set at home and ready to eat. Sandwiches and quick foods. You will not want to put your bundle down at all the first week.
10. Charge your camera, you will take so many pictures it is almost stupid.
11. Keep things within reach, you will not be wanting to bend and maneuver to reach what you need.
12. Stool softeners, iron pills, and Advil are a must. Also keep taking your prenatal vitamins.
13. Have your car seat ready and installed BEFORE you get to the hospital. Trust me, it saves confusion when you are ready to leave.

Feel free to post anymore and as more come to me I will post more. TRUST ME on the toilet paper thing. It is a god send. And if you have any questions, I would be more than happy to help in any way I can. Enjoy your new bundle of joy and good luck moms and dads.
:D

Comments

• Very helpful thank you
  • I have to call you out on the toilet paper, lol! The best is charmon plus lotion... lol
  • I always liked cottonelle. Or however u spell that.. its better than that??
  • #10 seriously made me laugh out loud and I'm here all by myself my dogs jumped when laughed which made me laugh harder. thanks for posting this I'm definitley going to keep checking back to see what is added
  • Tuck pads! I put them on my pad and squirt a little bit of that thing that they give you at the hospital so I could heal a little quicker.
  • 14. Take as many baths as you can at the hospital. My hospital had a whirlpool tub with an adjustable shower. OMG Amazing, I miss that tub. Baths are really important at least the first week.
    15. Have some help the first week. It is a lot of work taking care of a baby. It is a blessing, but you will be so tired from their late night feedings and diapering. It is okae, but the help is really appreciated. Sorry for those who may not have the best support, it is okae you will be fine.
    16. Keep your baby book handy you will want to write in it and record all those precious moments between you and you baby.
    17. Sometimes your baby wants fed so bad at night that they forget that they are hungry. It is so frustrating, believe me I know. Stay calm. Calm your baby, take deep breaths, and make sure you keep your cool. Your baby can pick up on your frustration. Once your baby calms down it makes it easier to latch on (to breast or bottles.)
    18. Have a baby bath ready, along with wash clothes and shampoo.
    19. Take a prenatal class, we took YPN classes. We only went to four so far, but they are actually a really big help.
    20. Have a swaddler, your baby is used to being cramped in your uterus and when they sleep they might like to be wrapped up tight.
  • Lol, @jamiesandefur, @hunnybee that is just my opinion, my main point was just something that doesn't leave residue it sux so bad. TMI but I bruised really bad on my left side so residue was really painful and would get stuck. @jcmommy I will definately have to check those out. Thanks. @babyboyontheway I will post as much as I can.
  • this is awesome advice! thank you so much! im printing this out for my fiance hahaha
  • I thought I'd add a few tips--things that I've found helpful when I've come home with my kids, too. :)
    ***Totally agree about not going cheap on toilet paper or pads!!!
    ***on #15***If you have someone to help you, that's fantastic--but make sure, if someone does come over, that you are willing to tell them that they are there to help you with food and chores, not with holding the baby (unless you want to sleep). If your helper thinks that they will be there to hold the baby while you cook and clean, you are better off alone.
    ***don't worry about the mess! It's much better to rest and relax whenever the baby does than to tire yourself out even more trying to keep up with housework. I know that's cliche, but it's so true. Baby's are demanding and insistent, and can be very frustrating. If you are exhausted from housework, you won't be nearly as patient.
    ***(for a bit later)***remember that the MOST important thing you can do is take care of yourself! Your baby needs you at your best, which means that you are as much a priority as the baby. If you have family or friends who are willing to watch or take the baby and give you a few minutes of peace in the tub, or a solitary trip to the store, or time to get take-out or have a meal with your partner, take it. It doesn't make you a bad mom (or dad) to need to be away from your baby for a little bit.
    ***I've had two c-sections, and will be having my third--if you, too, have surgery, DON'T try to lay down in bed when you get home from the hospital. You won't be able to get up without a lot of pain. If you have a couch or a rocker, use that as a bed for the first few days.
  • ***Dont be afraid to tell people they are not welcome to come visit whether at the hospital or at home, if you are tired or just trying to get into the groove of being a mommy. This will be my 3rd and with my first I was afraid to tell people not to come or the leave when they outstayed their welcome. My hubby's grandmother spent what seemed like an entire day in my hospital room, she didn't even leave when the massage therapist came in to give me my postnatal massage.
    ***Don't be afraid to call you doctor or the pediatrician if you have concerns. Even if you have gotten plenty of advice from friends and family.
  • Take the sitz bath home from the hospital and use it.
  • Those of you that have c-sections, take it from me. (im a nurse)
    if you have to sleep in a bed make sure you have enough room so you can roll to your side and push yourself up with your elbows. ****DO NOT USE UR ABDOMINAL MUSCLES TO SIT UP!!!! this is a big help.

and if you have to cough, use a folded blanket and hold it across your stomach as tightly as you can while you cough, to avoid putting any strain on the sutures in ur tummy. it also helps coughing hurt less.

If your hospital offers you a "sits bath" after a vaginal delivery, TAKE IT!! These are a big help (this I know from personal experience). its basically a bath just for ur hiney!! u sit there and soak ur bottom and read a magazine or something. It helps healing.

The squirt bottle may seem funny to you, but USE IT. this helps keep your bottom clean to aid in healing as well. Use it every time you use the bathroom, #1 or #2.

even if you have an ultrasound that says you're having a girl, make sure you have names and clothes for both sexes at the hospital with you. If checked too early, or by an inexperienced U/S tech, female and male parts can be mistaken very easily.

If I think of any more, I will post it, but this is all I can think of for now...
  • **when baby naps you nap (learned that the hard way) ** get extra nipple cream for breastfeeders**dont sweat the small stuff(like everyone wanting to tell you how to raise your child,in one ear out the other)
  • Thanks I'm saving this
  • When I left the hospital they gave me a spray that helps ease the pain down there. It's really good.

That squirt bottle she is talking about is amazing. It relieves pain down there too. It feels good.
  • Awesome, oops I completely forgot about the nipple cream. Good advise on the c section cuz I had a vaginal birth so I know nothing about them. If there are any formula moms. Put your advice on here too.
    22. Take time with your baby. During the first feedings look at them. This is very important.
    23. You use a lot of diapers. Babies poop and wet themselves a lot if you think you have enough you don't.
    24. Wipes. (see above).
    25. Even my postpartum nurse said don't worry too much about the mess. Again the most important thing is bonding with baby.
    26. Baby makes really funny faces. Don't be alarmed. It is normal. But if you have any concerns call your doc. It is okae to be worried.
    26. IMPORTANT. READ UP ON SIDS PREVENTION!!! This is uber serious. A lot of websites have great lists. But here are the tips my hospital gave me...
  • Thanks for the tips ill be a little more prepared when my son comes :) @ Krazymomofadrian that's a good name that's what I'm naming my baby boy.
  • Don't try to rush the recovery time either. When they say to take it easy for 4 weeks, listen. They told me not to pick up anything heavier than the baby for 4 weeks because my insides are all going back to normal and it could hurt me.
  • 27. Keep your baby on their back when sleeping. They can easily suffocate themselves or poisoning themselves by breathing in too much carbon dioxide.
    28. Keep your baby's face clear. Don't have blankets or stuffed animals near their face, in their bassinet/crib. Same effects from 27.
    29. No brainer here. Don't smoke anything around the baby. Their lungs still very weak and don't need the extra stress. Plus the baby shouldn't be around it anyway.
    30. Keep your baby in your room or near you for the first week, they don't go into that deep sleep as often and if they do, you can wake them without too much problem. Plus you don't want to be running room to room every 20 minutes to make sure they are okae.
    31. Don't let your baby sleep with you. You have covers and in your sleep deprived state you may accidentally roll over on baby and smush them. Your baby can lay with you, but not sleep with you.
    - There are more, but I am currently incapacitated and holding my little girl, so I really don't want to get up.
    33. SIDS is no parents fault, it is rare, but it does happen. Keep an eye on your baby and you should be fine.
    (Oops my numbers are messed up... oh well you guys can forgive me, I just gave birth a week ago, that is a good excuse right. I am sleep derprived and holding a newborn. LOL. :D)
  • You have done your homework. Lol they tore my labia with my first still don't know how that happened but I was very scared going to pee so I put rash cream on the pad and a little more before bedtime and within 3 days the burning was gone.
  • 34. Also baby makes weird noises, see 26 the first one lol.
    35. @misty2011 awesome that was coming lol. Thanx, it is such a cute name and it totally fits our little girl. I am healing well, but still want to take adequate recovery time, there is a reason there is 6 week maternity leave. Yes that is advice. Just bear with me on some of these okae. Lol. I am trying. XP
    36. I know this has been said above, but I think I will assign it a number. Rest when your baby rests even if you are not sleeping. Again housework can wait, you need to be conscious for your baby.
    37. My BD wanted me to let all the other BD's/support people in on these next two. Breastfeeding releases a hormone that can make you tired. If you worry about your baby falling asleep at your breasts, wake them up or call someone. It generally puts baby to sleep again and sometimes you too.
    38. Also make sure she is getting rest. She is sore, tired, and probably doesn't want to give up that baby. If baby needs changed and she can't keep her eyes open, change the diaper. You don't need her running into something (i.e. the wall or door) especially while holding your newborn.
    39. I am going to add to that due to personal experience. If you don't have the support or somebody to keep you awake, set an alarm every few minutes to wake yourself up.
    40. Have your doctor on speed dial. Lol. Newborns make you very nervous.
    41. Know the difference between normal poo and diarrhea. If there is blood something is wrong, if it is just runny, but still has "normal" color then your fine. Let your doctor know if it suddenly changes color, looks watery, or has blood in it. Like I said before babies poop a lot you may change their diaper and 20 minutes later it is soiled again.
  • Come on ladies keep them coming. I would like some formula moms on here too so we can have all spectrums covered. Thanks to everyone who has posted advice. And thanx @veteranswife, lol we found out late (4.5 mo.) so we wanted to do as much research as possible so that no further harm came to our baby.
  • @veteranswife she is completely fine and healthy by the way. We count our blessings everyday, we are very lucky.
  • Oops i meant @veronica020 refer to comment above, number 35. @misty2011 ignore some of that comment. And thanks to @mommajan, @number3ontheway, @mommyinwaiting, @jbandno3, and @magcaw for your advice too.
  • That's what I am always saying as well we are blessed and should be thankful that our kids are healthy. baby 2 might be easier a little but they is still new things I think number 3 will be different as well. I just formula feed my babies.
  • Glad sumone posted this; I'm taking notes lol
  • OH YES! THE NIPPLE CREAM! IT'S LIKE GOLD!!! Make sure you use the stuff made from lanolin, because if ur just using some kind of lotion or something like that, you have to wash it off of your nipples before nursing. The lanolin nipple cream is safe for baby, and a little bit goes a long way!

If you plan on pumping your milk for baby, make sure you have the pump before you go to the hospital. your boobs will thank you for it! (you don't want two huge painful boulders standing on your chest) When that milk builds up it hurts like all hell!

If you are not going to breastfeed or pump that liquid gold, make sure you still have a couple nursing bras, some nipple pads, and about 4 ice packs at your house. make sure the bras are snug, but not too tight, and avoid having a hot shower streaming on your breasts because this will make them leak and produce more milk. The ice packs help to ease the pain and burning in your breasts. and the nipple pads save you from any embarrassing leakage. The nursing bras are helpful with the icepacks( you can open the flap and put the ice pack in there! it saves the effort of having to hold onto it)

This may sound gross, but for the first week or so at home, depends help out a lot. but keep an eye on your post baby bleeding, because if it's too heavy you can have serious problems. If you notice it's not getting lighter, or if it's getting heavier, find someone to take you to see your doctor.
  • sorry I'm so long winded! LOL All these facts from maternal child class in nursing school are coming back!
  • No that is awesome. I forgot about the nipple cream. I do have something to add for those eco friendly or sensititve moms. Lanolin is made from sheeps wool or something along those lines. I have a nipple butter cream that is completely safe for babies, it has shea butter, and some other ingredients. I also believe that Burt's bees has some good nipple cream. BUT YES IT IS A MUST!!! For breastfeeding moms, your nipples may blister, bleed, crack, and be sore, believe me it is worth it to breastfeed, but at first it is hard. Keep with it, it pays off, even after just one week.